PDA

View Full Version : Fleeceworks/Mattes?

LittleblackMorgan
May. 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Which is the better pad (or Thinline?) for a sensative mare who needs some extra padding on the sides of the withers? A regular half pad and square under the saddle isn't doing enough for her.
I don't mind spending the money for a high quality item that will make her more comfortable. She seems to object rather rudely halfway through a ride when a plain pad rubs her.

And yes, I have a fitter coming.

Half pad or one of those full square numbers with the removeable sheep skin panels? Reviews?

suzy
May. 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
I haven't used the Mattes, but I like both the Thinline and the Fleeceworks. I use the Fleeceworks by itself and the Ultra Thinline between a quilted square pad and the saddle. However, I have the Fleeceworks that does not have the removable panels. A friend of mine has the removable, and it has never fit quite right since being laundered. The fleece bunches up, and she can't get it to lie flat. With your sensitive mare, you might want to keep that in mind.

Velvet
May. 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
When I need one, I use Fleeceworks. They wear like iron and wash up really well--and the price point is lower than some of the others.

LittleblackMorgan
May. 18, 2011, 01:53 PM
sssooo... half or full? I have the shaped jumping one, but that wont work under my dressage saddle.

GreyDes
May. 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
I have both Mattes and Fleeceworks for my thin-skinned Arab. Personally, I prefer the Mattes because I've found them to hold up better over time, but they're both good pads.

I use a full pad because I like the sheepskin right on my horses back, and don't like messing with baby pads. It is a bit more hassle, because you have to wash it more frequently, but I think it's worth it.

GreyDes
May. 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
Just to add - I did have the Fleeceworks with removable panels, and do NOT recommend it. As the earlier poster mentioned, the panels bunch, and after a few washings, the Velcro "warped" and pulled the entire pad into small waves.

The other sheepskin pad I like is the Christ Dream. It's not as pretty, but incredibly durable, and excellent quality fleece. It does have fleece on the spine, so if you have a super-sensitive horse, it may not work for you. Mattes has a spine channel, my Fleeceworks have fleece throughout, but it has the wither relief that keeps it from getting pulled down onto the back, and I've never had an issue with it.

One last comment - in my opinion, it's worth spending the money on good quality fleece. I have bought ECP pads in the past, and they just don't last.

Keep an eye on eBay - I've picked up Mattes pads for reasonable prices there.

Blkarab
May. 19, 2011, 03:23 PM
Ooh...so glad this thread came up. I have a saddle that needs some padding underneath. Saddle fitter looked at it, and it's what he recommended...needs too much padding for what he can put in the back of the saddle, but fits great everywhere else.

Has anyone tried the Mattes Correction pad...with the removeable shims?

Sonoma City
May. 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
I've never used a Fleeceworks pad, but have had both Mattes and Thinline. I love Mattes pads because of the spine channel. Mine have held up very well too. If you can afford a full square pad, I'd go with that, otherwise you can put the half pad under a sqare pad to gain the benefits of the sheepskin for your sensative gal. I dislike (very much dislike!) Thinline. I bought a trifecta for my jumping saddle and it retains heat like nothing else I have seen. It has since been sold on ebay :P

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
May. 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
My experience with Fleeceworks has been less than stellar. The sheepskin fell apart in a few washes (washed according to instructions) completely.

Mattes are lovely pads, my favorite however is the Horsedream pad sold through Dressage Extensions. I have two, use them directly on my horses back, and have for a couple of years now, they can be washed warm with Melp, then thrown in the dryer to tumble dry.

dalpal
May. 19, 2011, 04:23 PM
My experience with Fleeceworks has been less than stellar. The sheepskin fell apart in a few washes (washed according to instructions) completely.

Mattes are lovely pads, my favorite however is the Horsedream pad sold through Dressage Extensions. I have two, use them directly on my horses back, and have for a couple of years now, they can be washed warm with Melp, then thrown in the dryer to tumble dry.

Ditto. I love my Thinline Sheepskin and also my Mattes. I also agree that the Christ sheepskin pads are nice. But would not purchase another Fleeceworks. However, I will say they did replace mine when I complained that it fell apart.

atlatl
May. 19, 2011, 04:33 PM
I use the Christ sheepskin pads. Like others, will not purchase another Fleeceworks product. Poor quality, no comparison to either the Mattes or Christ products.

Watermark Farm
May. 19, 2011, 04:43 PM
I use the Christ sheepskin pads. Like others, will not purchase another Fleeceworks product. Poor quality, no comparison to either the Mattes or Christ products.

Another Christ fan here. I have two of them purchased from Horsedream Importers in California. They are used daily and have been for four years. I purchased the "therapeutic" half pad with shims and really like the flexibility of it. They wash beautifully and really hold their shape and basically look brand new after hundreds of rides. The Fleeceworks pad I have has not held up well to washing.

I use the pad directly against the back and underneath the square pad and find it really helps with the horse's comfort.

luvmydutch
May. 20, 2011, 09:08 AM
I have a brand new mattes half pad that i'm selling because it made my saddle slip :(. I had a mattes girth cover that did the same thing. I'm not a fan of Mattes at all.

friesian4me
May. 20, 2011, 09:15 AM
I would suggest a Mattes with a thinline over it. That is what works form me.

luvmydutch
May. 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
thinline between the mattes and the saddle?

CatPS
May. 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
A friend of mine bought a Fleeceworks halfpad the same day I bought a Mattes halfpad... mine lasted forever, hers didn't. I think she may have even gotten rid of the Fleeceworks pad after a few months and bought a Mattes later on. I also like Mattes' spine channel. It lets me really pull the pad up into the gullet which both keeps pressure off the spine/withers and really keeps the pad in place, even without billet straps. I've had such success with them, I'm a devoted Mattes fan.

tpup
May. 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
I had a Mattes Correction pad when I first got my horse. I felt it was WAY too much between the saddle and horse - too thick and fluffy, as I like a much closer-contact type feel.

I absolutely LOVE my thinline pad. It provides a cushioning and protection I have not been able to find in any other pad. My horse has deep dips or hollows behind his withers and when I finally found a saddle that fits, the Thinline was the icing on the cake. He goes SO well in it. I have the pad with the Ultra built right in. I tried just a regular Thinline (not the ultra) with a pad, and again, too much "stuff" for my liking. Just personal preference.

LOVE Thinline and will probably never ride without one.

LarkspurCO
May. 21, 2011, 12:13 PM
I like the full Mattes pad and it is great. I also have the Mattes half-pads and they are good for my horse that can't stand wool directly against his skin.

I also have a few inexpensive knock-offs by Roma that are nice for the money but a little thinner fleece. They are good if you don't want as much bulk under the saddle, yet they provide some cushion and prevent rubbing. However, they're not large enough for an 18-inch saddle with extended panels.

One thing I would recommend is getting a pad with sleeves for shims. Then you will have the option of making minor adjustments to the saddle as your horse horse changes, as the balance of the saddle changes, when you get a new saddle or a new horse, etc.

I also wanted to add this regarding the Thinline pads. I have an Ultra half pad and I do like it. However, I don't think it will help much with the rubbing. Proper saddle fit will help there, but sometimes you still get some rubbing, and that's where the fleece can help.

I also find that a somewhat thicker standard pad stays put much better than the thinner ones. I have a couple of Back On Track pads and they are fabulous -- no rubbing, no shifting.

P.S. Yes, I am a saddle pad ho'