PDA

View Full Version : Drainage help needed!!

sar2008
May. 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
The barn I rent is built half way into a hill. The two stalls you see in the picture are at the bottom it :cry: The left one is totally level with the ground outside of it so anytime we get enough rain, water just goes right into that stall.

There is already a self made ditch, caused by erosion, tracking along the barn down the hill. This small ditch gradually shallows out and ends at the fence. After it's too muddy to hold any more water outside, that water proceeds to run into the stall.

With the torrential downpours we have had here in VA for the past two days, I wasn't surprised to find that stall flooded. Water was starting to come out the front of it into the aisle. The stall on the right was okay. It's slightly above ground level so I never have any issues with that one flooding.

I created a small drainage run to help the water drain past the stalls and out into the bluestone lot (you can see part of in the picture). It's no permanent fix, but something temporary so I could get all the water out of the stall.

Have any of you ever had this problem? What sort of drainage solution did you come up with? I was thinking of ditching along the barn and doing sort of a "dry creek bed" sort of thing.....:confused:

There is a french drain installed already and it's not doing it's job :(

Any help/ideas/advice would be appreciated!

manesntails
May. 18, 2011, 10:44 AM
Since you are renting, I don't see what you can personally do but the owner needs to install gutters and downspouts and a dry well to collect the run off that runs down the side of the barn.

I too am on a slope. Not as steep as your barn but I did get water running right through the whole barn. I had to dig a swale and raise and flatten the area infront of the barn to stop the water running right through. I also had to install gutters and downspouts to channel the water that runs off the roof to the end of the barn.

This is the ditch infront of my barn. It channels the water around the barn area and towards the well.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/tstavemanesntails/chickencoop016.jpg

Mosey_2003
May. 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hmmm, perhaps if you dug a ditch a foot or two wide and filled with stone? I would recommend 1" clean stone, some quarries call it 3/4". But it should be clean, no fines or 'minus'. That must really suck!

ReSomething
May. 18, 2011, 10:53 AM
French drains can get filled with silt, ask me how I know. I'd redig the french drain or put in a drainage ditch filled with large stone - our drainage ditch at the shop here has rocks the size of half bricks which I guess are a good thing in this clay soil we have.

sar2008
May. 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
manesntails, our rental agreement is irrelevant ;) But......fwiw, part of the deal is me helping (man power wise) with repairs so I am trying to get ideas of how to fix this in the most efficient, cost effective manner :winkgrin: I am going to check out the gutter situation. From this picture, it doesn't really look like there are any :confused: and, to be honest, I haven't really noticed....

Mosey, thats what I was thinking. A 'dry creek bed' is sort of like that. You line the ditch with landscape netting, then mortar large rocks to the bottom then fill with stone. Since this is a relatively high traffic area, my only concern would it be holding up to the wear and tear of the horses coming in and out of stalls.

Plus the grade isn't that signifigant right now coming from the hill to the end of the barn. If I do this, the trench can't just stop. I would have to continue it all the way out to the end of the bluestone dry lot....

LauraKY
May. 18, 2011, 11:03 AM
Boy can I sympathize with you. The idiots who built our house and barn put the barn at the end of a straight driveway which leads, downhill, directly into the aisle.

We've only had trouble twice when we've had torrential rains for a couple of days, but we've managed to regrade the driveway a bit and redirect the water along the side of the barn where it drains off. We're still going to have to move fencelines and gates. It seems (according to my neighbor) whoever they had install the fence, didn't dig post holes or pound them, he dug a trench. So, all along the fence line there is a gulley and where they placed the gate is the low spot.

So, we have to move the entire fence along the barn driveway about 20 feet eventually. I've been managing the mud by moving the gate periodically. We tried stone, didn't work.

sar2008
May. 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
French drains can get filled with silt, ask me how I know. I'd redig the french drain or put in a drainage ditch filled with large stone - our drainage ditch at the shop here has rocks the size of half bricks which I guess are a good thing in this clay soil we have.

Good idea, that may be the easiest thing to do first. If the drain is clear, I can go to plan B.....when I figure out what that is....

Mosey_2003
May. 18, 2011, 11:11 AM
How well it holds up will depend on the quality of your local stone. You'd have to call and ask the quarries. I know here, my stone is excellent and they use it for bridges, etc. But 25 miles south at our other pit the stone is pretty soft, and right next door to that pit is a competitor's and their stone is VERY soft and breaks down extremely quickly. Since you're not a big contractor they should be honest with you if you ask them, though. It's best to tell them what you want it for and then they can guage whether it will work or recommend someone/something else.

sar2008
May. 18, 2011, 01:32 PM
How well it holds up will depend on the quality of your local stone. You'd have to call and ask the quarries. I know here, my stone is excellent and they use it for bridges, etc. But 25 miles south at our other pit the stone is pretty soft, and right next door to that pit is a competitor's and their stone is VERY soft and breaks down extremely quickly. Since you're not a big contractor they should be honest with you if you ask them, though. It's best to tell them what you want it for and then they can guage whether it will work or recommend someone/something else.

I do accounting work at a concrete block manufacturing company as my day job, so I will ask the plant manager if he recommends anywhere in particular. We get all our #10 stone for our block from Luck Stone, so maybe I can get a discount if they have what I need :winkgrin:

Mosey_2003
May. 18, 2011, 02:21 PM
Usually bigger companies get a discount, we call it a "Contractor Price", so if you could arrange to run it under their account and pay them you very well may get it cheaper.

nightsong
May. 20, 2011, 03:17 AM
The land around a building should be graded so that water runs AWAY from the building. Sounds like you need to do some grading.

sar2008
May. 20, 2011, 08:13 AM
The land around a building should be graded so that water runs AWAY from the building. Sounds like you need to do some grading.

It is graded. The water has to run down the hill, past the barn (and past the stalls) to get away from it. With the ground being level with the stall it goes right in the opening.

I dug a trench in front of the stall and that seems to be holding up so far...we'll see!