PDA

View Full Version : Angled Fence Posts, Which Side In?

Mosey_2003
May. 18, 2011, 10:33 AM
So, the need to refence the homestead is imminent and I've got my planning cap on. I need to do this as cheaply as possible while still being safe so I'm planning on using 4x4's as posts and stringing Electrobraid or the cheaper version. I want to cut the tops of the posts on an angle as I've read that this helps rain run off and the posts won't rot as fast. Do I put the high side in or the high side out? I can come up with arguments for each in my mind :lol: Oh, and is there a generally agreed-upon angle for it?

Also, is it a good idea or just idiotic to want to paint the posts before we put them in? I figure that way there will be more protection from the ground and I can't really see how we could easily get them painted neatly once the rope is hung, we'd end up spraying over the rope and insulators.

I'm not talking thousands of feet here, probably 16 posts initially. Maybe double that if Dad really gets on board and quits grumbling about dang horses ruining his free time :winkgrin:

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
I know when I look at 4 board fencing the high point of the angle is on the inside, even with the top board. I suppose so the water runs away from the board? The problem with this set up is it makes it easier to chew or crib on the point, I think. However, if your top line is flush and hot, then I don't think you will have that problem.

Also if you want to fence to the very top, or close to it, you would need to do it the way I describe above.

Does that help?

Yes, paint before install if you are going to paint, imo, for the reason you list.

Mosey_2003
May. 18, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yep, that helps, thanks! My two reasonings on the high point were that we won't be fencing clear to the top. So on the one hand, I'd want the high point on the outside so the horse wouldn't hit it with his head. But on the other hand, what if he reached his head over and then caught the high point on the way back? Granted, he *shouldn't* be reaching over because the whole fence will be hot, but ya never know with the beasts...