PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Loss of "Key West" set to be ridden at Pan Am by Tom Dvorak.

rodawn
May. 17, 2011, 09:22 PM
My deepest condolances to the Owners and also to Tom. So very tragic.

http://www.equinecanada.ca/dressage/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=360%3Aequine-canada-announces-passing-of-key-west&catid=81&lang=en

lilypondlane
May. 17, 2011, 09:34 PM
Such a terrible loss to the Trakehner breed and a heartbreak to his human family.

leilatigress
May. 17, 2011, 09:36 PM
Condolences on the loss.

PiaffePlease
May. 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
What a sad loss. Jingles to his owners/rider. I couldnt get the article to load. There is also an article on dressage daily about it.

Emy
May. 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
Key captured many hearts. His beautiful expression, kind heart and impressive talent was a rare combination. He leaves a very large hole behind.

dwblover
May. 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
Oh, how sad!:(

wcporter
May. 18, 2011, 09:48 AM
:( Sad news...

How does something like compression of the spinal cord happen? Is that a training injury? And is it common in only dressage or other sport horse disciplines as well?

equinelerium
May. 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
How does something like compression of the spinal cord happen?

I was wondering the same thing, I've never heard of it before. My heart goes out to all involved.

Emy
May. 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
The compression developed from unknown advanced arthritic changes in his neck.

Key was never lame or showed any resistance/stiffness while under saddle to give any indication of the condition the was silently coping with; talk about heart.

One day in he looked uncomfortable and stiff in the stall, unable to lower his head fully and was immediately attended by Veterinarians, then taken to a clinic where a surgeon delivered a devastating diagnosis. Nothing could be done, the nerves and spinal cord were affected. The decision was made to free him from his pain. He was only 11, arthritis is cruel in its selection.

alto
May. 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation, how devastating for all involved :cry:

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 18, 2011, 12:42 PM
What a terrible loss for the owners and rider and the Trakehner community. My deepest condolences.

PiaffePlease
May. 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
I too was wondering how an injury like that could happen. Thanks for enlightening us, Emy.

CZF
May. 18, 2011, 01:40 PM
Very sad, Kaspari was absolutely stunning and such a sweet guy.

My condolences to all who loved him.

suzy
May. 18, 2011, 02:09 PM
How tragic. My condolences, too, to all who loved him.

SandyUHC
May. 19, 2011, 08:49 AM
They were Canada's big hope and destined to clean up at the Pan Ams. Emy, would you please tell Tom that his American friend with no sense of direction is so very sorry to hear about this loss.

Sandy