PDA

View Full Version : It is so nice to finally have a barn!

cowgirljenn
May. 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
For those of you who don't know my barn saga. In 2008, Hurricane Ike destroyed the pole barn we had south of Houston. We rebuilt a much nicer barn but right before we finished it, we found out we had to move (because of a job). So I enjoyed the barn for a few months and then moved to the Waco area where we bought a property without a barn. We decided we could build one - a 7 stall barn with a center aisle and tack room. Because we had helped build the one south of Houston.

So we started. And then it rained and rained and was windy and we couldn't work for so many weekends. Then we had a tornado that destroyed a little two stall shelter I was using and did damage to another 3 stall shelter I was using. So I had no barns/stalls. And we kept building.

About 18 months later, we're nearly done! We still have to paint, buy stall mats for 3 stalls and part of the barn aisle, and finish sealing up the tack room...

But I have a BARN. Right now, four stalls are usable, the cross ties are usable, the tack room is usable. I have NEVER had a tack room before, and it so nice to get my stuff organized and unpack boxes of horse equipment that have been in storage!

I've got horses in four stalls this morning for the first time - waiting for the vet to come float teeth.

I think I am giddy. :)

My2cents
May. 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
congrats! yes, it is worth getting excited over. us horsey peeps have some weird 'want' lists and when something get fulfilled, it's totally reason to celebrate. a few years ago i had been wanting to rearrange the lights in my barn aisle (when it was first built, i just went with what the builder suggested, but after living with them for a few years, i wanted them moved). it was like waiting for christmas or my birthday when the electrician showed up. my husband finally came down to the barn when he saw that the electrician had been gone for 1/2 hr but the lights were still turning off and on and off and on. yup, i was giggling while flipping the switch, i was mesmerized. so, go on, whoop it up, we can all hear you and most of us are joining in!

Trevelyan96
May. 17, 2011, 11:55 AM
Where are the pics? You can't share news of a new barn without pics!

rustbreeches
May. 17, 2011, 12:00 PM
Congratulations! So happy to hear the good news!

manesntails
May. 17, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, I want pics~!!

I am so excited for you that your barn is up and usable~!! I just got electric in my pole barn a few months ago and I'm STILL ecstatic about it~!! Next step will be plumbing so I can roll up all the hoses I have laying across the property and then individual stalls. I have pipe stalls under the run in and cross ties. My tack room is a 9x38' trailer that's pulled up to the end of the barn but I'm happy with that. It has electric and loads of room for all my stuff.

I can't wait to see your pix~!

Bluey
May. 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
Oh, we need pictures, the painting can wait.:yes:

It is so nice to have room to work under a roof, is it.
We don't know that until we do have a roof.:cool:

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
SERIOUSLY!? You can't post this without pictures!!!

I'm very happy for you, btw.

cowgirljenn
May. 17, 2011, 01:14 PM
I know, I know. I need to go get new pictures. I will do that this evening and post. :)

No electric yet - we did all the work on this ourselves (the two of us - my dad came down two weekends and helped, but the rest was us). We've run out of money and energy for now.

I am POSITIVE that when I do finally get electricity, I will be flipping the lights on and off and on and off!

leilatigress
May. 17, 2011, 01:36 PM
When your ready for a Painting party lemme know and I'll bring the kid, husband and beer/juice. I'm not an artist but can round up the troops for the painting. We should have a Texas get together :)

Gnalli
May. 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
My blue eyes are turning green!!! Congratulations! There is nothing like having your own barn, where you can do what YOU want, when YOU want it, and HOW you want it!!! It is so worth all the aggravations and work!!!

JSwan
May. 17, 2011, 04:13 PM
I think I am giddy. :)

Yahoo! Contgratulations!

Yeah, it's nice to have a place to put your stuff. So you can collect more stuff, and know it's ok to collect more stuff because you have a place to put it so it's not like it's going to get ruined or anything.

Plus, you have to have more stuff because you built a 7 stall barn - and if you built it - horses will come.

I'm really happy for you and I can't wait to see pictures.:)

Teacup
May. 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
Congratulations and pictures pictures pictures!

Leprechaun
May. 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
Many, many congrats!

SPF10
May. 24, 2011, 06:41 AM
YAY, right there with you, still a work in process, got the barn up early winter (after 3 years of longing for a barn) and stalls are in use, waiting on well drilling permit as we speak, and some of the rough-in for the electric is done!!!!!!! It's so exciting like a kid on Christmas morning. ENJOY!

JanM
May. 24, 2011, 07:04 AM
Congratulations! Not only do you get a barn, but you get a great sense of accomplishment every time you look at it.

Kate66
May. 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
I am really excited for you. I think it's a HUGE achievement! You took a risk and it has paid off. I am sure that every day you go into that barn your chest will swell and you will think "damnit - WE did this!" - and so you should!

(Now, we are looking to build one - as you've done one, you could be way more efficient on a 2nd one - when can you start?)

Fourbeats
May. 24, 2011, 05:10 PM
No electric yet - we did all the work on this ourselves (the two of us - my dad came down two weekends and helped, but the rest was us). We've run out of money and energy for now.

I am POSITIVE that when I do finally get electricity, I will be flipping the lights on and off and on and off!

lol, trust me, you will be flicking those lights. We built our barn too and it took 6 years before we got around to running electricity to it. It's been almost a year and I still go into the barn and flick the lights. The other night I was standing there flicking them and grinning away. My husband asked why was I flicking the lights? I just smiled bigger and said, cause I have lights to flick and I think it's totally cool.

cowgirljenn
Jun. 6, 2011, 02:14 PM
Photos (as requested). Hoping the link works:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=6631734008/a=40092911_40092911/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

SanJacMonument
Jun. 8, 2011, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on both the barn and tack room!

When I was young, our barn did not have electricity. It was all wood with a tin roof and very cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

It's amazing how barns have changed. Now so many even have a washer/dryer room.

Congratulations!

MistyBlue
Jun. 8, 2011, 11:25 AM
HUGE congrats Jenn! It looks awesome, I can only see the first photo (site requires you to join to see the rest) but it looks beautiful. :)

So happy for you! :D

Bluey
Jun. 8, 2011, 02:58 PM
HUGE congrats Jenn! It looks awesome, I can only see the first photo (site requires you to join to see the rest) but it looks beautiful. :)

So happy for you! :D

Me too, just that first picture and little, hard to see, but for what I can tell, it looks wonderful.

You did mean a barn, that is a big one and sits there so well, with the pens off it.

That was a big undertaking for someone on their off time, a big job.

Hoping this time the weather cooperates and goes around you, not back thru your barn again.:eek:

It is so nice to work with the horses in the breezy shade in the summer, in the warm barn in the winter, makes all that hard work worthwile.:cool: