PDA

View Full Version : Need new truck tires

paintedtrails
May. 17, 2011, 08:56 AM
So I bring our F150 in to have the balance fixed since I felt like they messed it up last week when working on a tire and come to find out the belt snapped in the tire and needs to be replaced. We had planned to replace all the tires this year, but now must do soon! (spare on currently)
It has the original Hancook tires from the dealer (2008 Ext Cab).

This is my everday vehicle and hauling vehicle - currently 2H Extra Tall & Wide WW BP - someday hoping to get a gooseneck LQ but that is at least one tire set away!

Anyone recommend a specific tire? I'm not thrilled with the Hancook.

Thanks!

Jumpin_Horses
May. 17, 2011, 09:57 AM
I got the Goodyear Wrangler with the kevlar... I really like them

atlatl
May. 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
I never liked the older Goodyear Wranglers, but never had the ones with kevlar. We've had good luck with Dunlops.

Check CostCo, we buy all of our tires there including the outrageously overpriced runflats for my car. At CostCo they are only moderately overpriced!

marta
May. 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
for my f250 heavy duty i just recently bought these kumhos:

http://www.amazon.com/LT265-75R16-Kumho-Venture-Quantity/dp/B002RN0NYG

i'm really happy with them.
i wanted something that has enough grip for dirt and grass but that's still road friendly.

CatOnLap
May. 17, 2011, 11:09 AM
Michelin LTX-AT's on my ford truck- improve the handling and braking over the stock tires by a huge factor.

Unfforgettable
May. 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
Second the Michelins. They are head and shoulders above the OEM tires.

wildlifer
May. 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
I always go for the Michelins too. Yes, they are expensive. But your life and your horses lives are riding on them. They also last far longer than any other tire I've used. I had Goodyears, got about 30K out of them. I have some silly brand now that came with the truck, looks like they'll be about the same. Last Michelins I had were still good at 50K, so...

paintedtrails
May. 17, 2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks, I too like Michelin have had the LTX on previous SUV a few years back, but since have been switched to Bridgestone Duelers. Def liked the Michelin better but have gotten used to them.

we have no problem spending the extra$...We want something that is going to last. The truck now sees mainly around town driving instead of highway so hopefully won't be racking up mileage too quickly, but if gas prices ever get reasonable again I plan to be hauling more too! The Hankooks on now are barely 36K.

marta
May. 18, 2011, 08:33 AM
you probably know this, but tire rack has great reviews which take into consideration mileage and other factors. even if you don't purchase from them, they're a great resource if you're trying to get an idea of what other people's experience has been with the tires.

monstrpony
May. 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Definitely Michelins if you can do that. That said, I recently reshod my F250 with Yokohama Geolanders and am very pleased.

morganpony86
May. 19, 2011, 09:14 AM
Can I hijack this thread for a bit? My truck also needs new tires, and I have never bought new tires for a vehicle before so I have NO idea what I'm looking for or where to start. I tried googling for even the size of tire I need, and get about 5000 answers. The tires that it came with are hilariously too small for it (thank you, cheap used dealership for skimping on that before I bought the truck), so I want to return to the "standard" size.

It's a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 (diesel) that is exclusively used to pull a 2 horse steel bumper pull, mostly during nice weather but occasionally during winter (upper midwest).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I hate looking like the "little dumb blonde girl with the big truck" so I try to do some research before taking it someplace so I'm not scammed. :rolleyes:

mvp
May. 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
Another hijack from a short blond chick with a big truck and truck "farriers" who just shod them as seemed right for the environment and gave me the bill.

For a 4WD truck that will see a *tad* of snow, or bad snow/ice not often.... and will really only go "off road" as you would for parking at barns and shows (not too many really wet, grass fields)....

Do I need more or less aggressive version of an all terrain or mud and snow tire? I assume those will be louder, give worse fuel economy and wear out faster than those designed for pavement only?

Many thanks!

jcotton
May. 19, 2011, 10:07 AM
My suggestion is to know what size you have on your truck, then do your research with a locally owned -high recommended and good reputation tire/auto repair business.
I just bought new tires for my truck(F-350 dually, 4X4). Yes, I looked online at the discount tire stores(NTB, dicount tire, Sam's,.....), mostly out of curiosity. Did not find what I wanted in load ranges, tire ply or quality.
So I went to my local tire place that I have been doing business with for eons. I like personal service, too.
They always ask me if I need grippy tires or street --makes a $50(per tire) difference in tire cost. And I don't drive in that much mud to justify the grippy mud tire. And I get free rotations, too. So $1300 later, six new tires!

marta
May. 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
i bought my truck used from a private seller with a brandy new set of tires. drove it around all over the place hauling the trailer all the time thinking i'm golden. when i went to order new tires, i tried to buy the same set at which time i found out that the tires i had on there were for a light duty truck with a totally inadequate load rating.

in the future i will check the tire rating and not just rely on the fact that they're new and pretty ;)

at a risk of sounding like i work for tire rack, i'm going to recommend you try their website, or call them, to figure out what tires you need. you just have to know the year, make and model of your vehicle.

morganpony86
May. 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
My suggestion is to know what size you have on your truck, then do your research with a locally owned -high recommended and good reputation tire/auto repair business.

The problem is I have the same problem that marta had. The tires that are on it now are way too small. And I have no idea how to go about looking for the correct tire size. And the tire size seems to be the critical "starting point". When I google what tire size my truck needs, there are at least 4 different recommended sizes, and no explanation as to which would be the most appropriate. If I get too big of a tire, it'll throw off my hitch and I'll have to buy a new one to lower it.

at a risk of sounding like i work for tire rack, i'm going to recommend you try their website, or call them, to figure out what tires you need. you just have to know the year, make and model of your vehicle.

This website wins. THANK YOU! Very helpful!!