PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owners, how do you decide on clinicians?

fuzzy.pony
May. 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
A friend of mine is a very talented young (late twentys) professional rider and trainer who has a sucessful business in the mid atlantic. We were speaking the other day and she mentioned how much she likes teaching clinics off the farm. She likes meeting new people and likes that it breaks up her normal routine and energises her. She already gives clinics at a few places on a regular schedule but we spoke about ideas on how to "book" more "gigs," lol!

She is a COTH poster so I don't want to say her name but I thought that the COTH audiance might have some ideas. How can this talented and high-energy young woman find places to give clinics either locally or further from home? If you are a barn owner how to do you pick your clinicians? Would you respond to a cold call or cold letter? What about an advertisement?

Velvet
May. 16, 2011, 03:42 PM
Doesn't matter if she wants to, it matters if people thinks she's worth hiring. To get out there and get people interested, she might want to start working with some associations in nearby states. She should send out a resume of her skills and accomplishments, along with the accomplishments of her students. Then offer herself for a cheap clinic price to get her foot in the door. If people like her, barn owners will hear about her and then they might invite her to teach at their place. Once she's build a good reputation, she can reach other further or she can simply keep going within a few states and ask a bit more money.

joiedevie99
May. 16, 2011, 04:05 PM
A combination of making herself desirable and letting people know she's available.

If her GMO does anything like NEDA's flextime lesson program, definitely sign up.

Volunteer free coaching sessions for certain individuals or teams prior to big events, like NAJRC, or Pony Club Championships, if that is common in your region.

Ask her trainer to put the word out there. Assuming she's working with a good trainer (which I would hope), that person most likely has lots of contacts. I know a few trainers who will recommend their respective young professionals to clients who trailer in for occasional lessons- since its easier for the young pro to go to them.

ACP
May. 16, 2011, 04:06 PM
A suggestion for her to consider - offer to do a charity clinic, just for her expenses, to benefit some very worthy cause. One of two of these would bring in a lot of interest, plus it would look good on her resume.