PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the trails - I'm so proud of my husband's manners!

Mara
May. 16, 2011, 01:21 PM
My husband's a runner (well, in addition to other sports). He's also non-horsey.

So yesterday he was out on a public trail which does get a fair amount of horse traffic. When he saw an approaching horse and rider, he slowed to a walk, stopping completely and moving slightly to the side once the pair were within about 10-20 feet.

The rider told him, "thanks so much for slowing down! The wind has made this guy kind of spooky today!" My husband complimented her horse and resumed his running pace once they were out of sight.

I made sure to give plenty of positive reinforcement!

Kudos to the rider as well for her behavior.

I just wanted to share this - there are still some non-horsed trail users who recognize that the trails are for EVERYONE.

Burbank
May. 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
yesterday I came across some walkers when riding, very surprising as it is private trails and we are usually alone. they moved over and we chit-chatted as my horse was not sure what they were on the trail, they pet my dog and horse and then we all wished eachother a good day.

love encounters like that

VictorBlue
May. 16, 2011, 02:56 PM
Nutbag horse, being a nutbag because she realized she had been exhibiting perfection for the last 15 miles and we only had one more mile to go, was getting all jiggy about a bridge that we had already crossed that day (she marched right over it the first time without caring that it was a bridge). A woman with an infant in a Snuggli was standing on the edge of the bridge (which is a short, low bridge over a swampy area and does not have a railing) and her husband was standing with a toddler in a backpack on the other edge. Horse is happily levitating above the ground, blowing fire, tossing head. Toddler sees horse and shrieks "Neigh-neigh!" and waves arms wildly and bounces up and down in backpack. Dad loses balance and flails arms to stay on bridge and yells, in tone of complete panic, "Nancy, help me now!" Mom with infant quite understandably drops large flapping diaper bag and leaps across bridge to save toddler (and presumably husband) from falling into swamp. Horse looks up from where she was busy admiring her own dancing feet, observes shrieking waving children and flailing panicked parents and diaper bag spilling rolling bottles across bridge and .... melts back into aged plug meandering along familiar trail at the end of a hot summer day. Even manages to get over herself enough to allow pat from toddler.

I can't even measure the amount of stardust and diamonds and magic in this horse. I tell ya; when they're awesome, they're awesome. Will always be grateful for this one.

katyb
May. 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
We haven't had any troubles with hikers, joggers, bikers or atvs on the trails. Most of our trails have signs reminding everyone to yield to riders, and they do, and cheerfully. Of course, Tennesseans are generally polite types.

Bank of Dad
May. 16, 2011, 04:07 PM
Well, I get the rude ones here in MD, the ones who don't talk English, have their Ipod's on so loud they can't hear me scream, looking at the ground and not seeing my nutcase horse bouncing around.......Tell your hubby to do his runs here.

candyappy
May. 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
My husband's a runner (well, in addition to other sports). He's also non-horsey.

So yesterday he was out on a public trail which does get a fair amount of horse traffic. When he saw an approaching horse and rider, he slowed to a walk, stopping completely and moving slightly to the side once the pair were within about 10-20 feet.

The rider told him, "thanks so much for slowing down! The wind has made this guy kind of spooky today!" My husband complimented her horse and resumed his running pace once they were out of sight.

I made sure to give plenty of positive reinforcement!

Kudos to the rider as well for her behavior.

I just wanted to share this - there are still some non-horsed trail users who recognize that the trails are for EVERYONE.

I AM IMPRESSED !! After 20 years of marriage WITH the horses living here at home with us, my husband still thinks nothing of firing up the weed eater to trim around the barn ( or where ever I am working the horses) . Hooking up the tractor to drag stuff, etc.......

MassageLady
May. 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Nutbag horse, being a nutbag because she realized she had been exhibiting perfection for the last 15 miles and we only had one more mile to go, was getting all jiggy about a bridge that we had already crossed that day (she marched right over it the first time without caring that it was a bridge). A woman with an infant in a Snuggli was standing on the edge of the bridge (which is a short, low bridge over a swampy area and does not have a railing) and her husband was standing with a toddler in a backpack on the other edge. Horse is happily levitating above the ground, blowing fire, tossing head. Toddler sees horse and shrieks "Neigh-neigh!" and waves arms wildly and bounces up and down in backpack. Dad loses balance and flails arms to stay on bridge and yells, in tone of complete panic, "Nancy, help me now!" Mom with infant quite understandably drops large flapping diaper bag and leaps across bridge to save toddler (and presumably husband) from falling into swamp. Horse looks up from where she was busy admiring her own dancing feet, observes shrieking waving children and flailing panicked parents and diaper bag spilling rolling bottles across bridge and .... melts back into aged plug meandering along familiar trail at the end of a hot summer day. Even manages to get over herself enough to allow pat from toddler.

I can't even measure the amount of stardust and diamonds and magic in this horse. I tell ya; when they're awesome, they're awesome. Will always be grateful for this one.

Loved your story!:lol::lol:

katyb
May. 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
I AM IMPRESSED !! After 20 years of marriage WITH the horses living here at home with us, my husband still thinks nothing of firing up the weed eater to trim around the barn ( or where ever I am working the horses) . Hooking up the tractor to drag stuff, etc.......

Mine is the same, but the end result is horses who aren't bothered by anything.

BigHorseLittleHorse
May. 22, 2011, 02:53 PM

But that's the best kind! Makes the horses bombproof :)