PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Baltimore, MD... Need somewhere to live and ride!

Sporthorse85
May. 16, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Everyone!

This summer, most likely around August, we're moving to Maryland so my boyfriend can finish his Ph.D. at John's Hopkins Medical School. So far, coordinating the move has been stressful because there's that pesky issue of finding a new job (for myself) and home! As difficult as it is, I've already put my tb gelding up for sale because the unknowns in the move make it more practical to relocate horse-free.

[edit]

I'm also looking for good places to ride. I'm somewhat of an eventer. I have the TB who does the dressage, jumping, and... oh wait... there's the part about the XC... I don't have my own truck/rig... BUT I have been XC and love it. Location has made it difficult to do much, but hopefully that will change when we move. I most likely won't have my own horse when we get up there, so I'm looking for trainers with schoolmasters to ride, or someone who doesn't mind leasing their horse out a few days a week. Also, if there's anyone out there who just needs help keeping their horse fit, I'm happy ride that way, too! Us horse people... we'll do anything to be around them! ;)

I don't know how realistic any of this is... I haven't been to Baltimore in I don't know how long, so I'm not familiar with the layout of the city/surrounding areas. We are planning to go and scope out the area a couple of times next month. Additionally, I've been in contact with a Realtor, and she's thus far been a good help.

Any bits of advice, tips, or contacts are HUGELY appreciated!
[edit]

horsetales
May. 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
Might try looking & post a wanted ad in the Equiery
http://equiery.com/

Trevelyan96
May. 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
The good news is that you'll be in eventer heaven around the Baltimore area. The bad news is that property costs are high.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of commute it would be to JH Medical, but you best affordable bet may be around the Crofton/Bowie area. A little higher cost, but nicer, are Howard and outer Baltimore counties, and upper Anne Arundel.

Steuart Pittman is based in Davidsonville. You might want to give him a call, he's a great resource for eventing in the area.

Are you sure you need to sell your horse? There are a lot of affordable boarding options in the area and its not too far from VA to Baltimore to move him.

mares tails
May. 17, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure what kind of commute it would be to JH Medical, but you best affordable bet may be around the Crofton/Bowie area.

A bit more than 25 minutes :( http://tinyurl.com/3emda44
since Johns Hopkins U School of Medicine is in downtown Baltimore.

You could look in the Owings Mills direction and put BF on the Metro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Subway).

ladybugred
May. 17, 2011, 06:12 PM
I live in Owings Mills and I can tell you, the chances of finding what you are lloking for are pretty low. Not immpossible, but low. Everyone who works in the city, lives in the 'Burbs, wants to be in that time range.

If you were considering buying, there are one or two in this area that might fit.

LBR

Keep1Belle
May. 17, 2011, 06:23 PM
If you want to go outside of owings mills, PM me. I live in owings mills area but drive about 20 minutes up liberty road to Mt. Airy. The farm has XC, outdoor arenas etc and I believe there is affordable housing nearby.

Living in Owings Mills could be a good place for you all it would be mid-way to Hopkins and MT. Airy barns.

Alternatively you could live more towards Glen Burnie/Severn and commute into Hopkins and ride more towards Crownsville.

You have lots of options.

wizzie
May. 18, 2011, 11:07 AM
i work at JHH and what everyone has is pretty true, 25 minutes is going to put you in the 'burbs. I live in the towson area and my commute is about 20 minutes and i come in at 630am to avoid rush hour. my horse is in northern baltimore county and it takes about a half hour to get to the barn from work (but thats at non-rush hour times). My barn is pretty affordable and has a indoor/outdoor and xc/trails. I wouldn't rule out bringing your horse, but you might have to extend your work-barn commute by 15 or 20 minutes.

Flash44
May. 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
What are you looking to spend?

Frivian
May. 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
I used to live in the Towson area (close to the Baltimore city limits) and commuted to East Baltimore (Johns Hopkins Hospital area) for my job. I took lessons at Tranquillity Manor in Monkton, MD. It took me about 20 minutes to commute to work, and from my house, about 30-40 minutes to the barn. Of course, that all depends on traffic. I didn't have my own horse at the time, so I'm not sure what Tranquillity charged for board. However, they have a huge lesson program and the trainer Holly is awesome. It is mainly a fox hunting oriented barn and the lessons were more for hunter/jumper style riders. This was about 1.5 years ago, but I'm sure it's still very similar. They had a ton of lesson horses, all different levels, and many were available for full or partial lease as well. Amazing trails (the barn has 200 acres and connects to a state park) and cross country jumps, nice indoor, 3 outdoors, etc. They also have a bunch of schooling shows, paper chases, and xc schooling opportunities. I loved it. The lessons were affordable, and you could do practice rides too. I don't know if it's within your commute time limit, but to me it was very much worth it.

Frivian
May. 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
okay Sporthorse, I reread your post and honestly I think Tranquillity sounds like a good fit for you. Of course I am a little biased ;-). While I was there, I rode one of Holly's personal horses for lessons (he was more of a sale horse than a school horse, and no one else rode him but me!) and he gave me a lot of confidence outside of the ring on xc. I was also given the opportunity to help exercise some of the foster horses (they work with a local rescue), one of which I ended up adopting (the horse I own now). I had been a strict hunter/jumper rider before then, only riding inside my safe little arena, but Holly encouraged doing a little bit of everything, from dressage flatwork to xc schooling. You should really contact them. They have a website and a facebook page. http://www.tranquillitymanorfarm.com/

GotSpots
May. 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Tranquility! I rode with them back in college - glad to see they are still around. Not fancy, but a nice barn, good people, good program. From there to the Med School it's definitely not as easy a commute as to the Homewood campus, but not undoable. You might also look up 83 - back when I was in school there were a number of small barns that were often looking for help or had an apartment for lease. Very horsey, great area, and I was 20 minutes from Homewood. As an eventer, there are still some decent options out there way, though it's been my impression that it's more of an foxhunting area.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hubby is a Hopkins resident- and I agree that you're going to have a hard time finding anything like what you described in the 25 minute commute range... It might be more possible if you've got a more generous budget, but it will still be hard. I think you're probably looking at suburbia + boarding.

The good news is, there are a TON of boarding options within a decent commute to most suburban areas in Baltimore. You will absolutely be able to find a nice place to keep your horse that's reasonably priced. Check out the Equiery for boarding/living setups.

CharmCity
May. 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
Welcome to Baltimore.
I live in the city fairly close to Bayview so obviously, I'm a bit city-biased.
I rode at Tranquillity Manor for 2 years and it would take almost an hour to get there from the city but that was during rush hour.
Now, I ride at a private farm in Howard County which takes about 45 minutes during rush hour.
You really may want to consider Howard County. Easy enough to get into the city and easy to get out! Now that I'm thinking, an acquaintance of mine is moving from the city to a farm in HC next week. I could get *plenty* of input from her as well:)

Feel free to PM.

Crown Royal
May. 19, 2011, 07:59 PM
I vote live in surrounding counties and have boyfriend take the metro. :) That's what my best friend's mom does everyday to go to work at John's Hopkins and we live in Carroll County. It's very horsey where I am and the board prices are good in my opinion- $350-$400 for full care with an indoor at a lot of places. I keep my horses at home, but still. You can find a lot of small acreage here for sale, but I'm not too sure about rent.

But yeah- 25min commute to JH and renting an affordable farm? Not too likely.

jpeg
May. 19, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sent you a PM. :)

tradewind
May. 19, 2011, 08:52 PM
You might look at lower Harford County...I think 25 mins is unrealistic as the traffic in the Baltimore/ Washington metro area is ghastly. I think 40-45 is more realistic and will give you more options. For lessons with an eventing theme, check out Whispering Hollow Farm. Pam Bartholomew is the instructor. True horsewoman, lots of TB experience. Her students clean up at the starter trials and unrecognized events.

LauraKY
May. 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
By the way, subway from Owings Mills doesn't go to Hopkins Med Center. You have to walk two blocks and transfer to light rail. Great planning. I know a real estate agent in the area (steeplechase jock), don't know if she does rentals, but if you're interested PM me.

Right on Target
May. 20, 2011, 03:09 PM
Just want to clarify on the last post from Laura KY since I work on the Hopkins Medical Campus and I ride the Metro every day. The Metro (subway) from Owings Mills does go directly to JHH. The end of the line is in the Hopkins Outpaitent Center which is part of the hospital.

The Light Rail does not go to Hopkins Hospital.

It takes about 30 mins round trip from the Owings Mills metro stop to get to the JHH stop during rush hour.

I agree that you can find a number of barns that are around a 30 minute max commute from Owings Mills that do eventing and offer lessons.

Sporthorse85
May. 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
A quick thank you to everyone who has responded! I'm absolutely taking all of the advice and tucking into my own little research folder! :D It's been crazy balancing job searches and trying to decide where to live. We've been scouting the Ruxton area as well, any advice on that front?

I really like the sound of board around the area, I'm personally not too worried about driving 45mins to get to barn, my barn right now is about 30mins away. And the board sounds much more reasonable than around here (most full board facilities around where I live are $650/mo and the care is hardly quality). Maybe I will get to bring my buddy with me!!

I will check out Tranquility Farm for lessons... it's hard to ignore a place with such fantastic recommendations. I'll also check out the other farms mentioned... We will most likely try to visit them when we go to check out the areas!

KayPink
May. 24, 2011, 01:20 PM
Ruxton is a gorgeous area - I love all the houses there and have several friends and family members that live in that area. If you're looking to live in Ruxton/Towson, check out An Otherwise Perfect farm. Julia and Barrett are great (a good friend boarded there for years) and they're eventers. The farm is gorgeous and just a short drive up Falls Road from Ruxton! I also would be happy to refer you to some local realtors who are horsey if you feel it would be helpful. Best of luck and welcome to the area! :)

http://www.otherwiseperfectfarm.com/index.html

LauraKY
May. 24, 2011, 01:21 PM
Whoops, didn't realize it went all the way. Ruxton is beautiful, but was pricey (I haven't been back in 5 years a haven't ridden the metro since it stopped 2 blocks from light rail. Buying or renting?

Renn/aissance
May. 24, 2011, 03:27 PM
I live in Towson, right off of 695/Charles Street and very near Ruxton, which is a beautiful, safe area, but my understanding is that it is expensive. I personally ride in Owings Mills, but the farm where my horse lives caters to hunters and wouldn't be a good match for you, it sounds like. I would second An Otherwise Perfect Farm which I've heard excellent things about; some friends used to board there and I've attended some clinics there. Hopkins is about 15 minutes from me, and AOP 25 minutes up 83.