PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddles for short riders?

ShayDarra
May. 15, 2011, 10:28 PM
Recently rode in a friend's Trilogy Debbie McDonald which was an excellent fit me. At 5'3" and a short femur, most dressage saddles don't give me much contact. Am starting to think about replacing my Passier GG with one that fits me better. I ride a roundish Draft Cross mare.

Would love to hear feedback either on the Trilogy or other models specifically for those of us who are vertically challenged.

Thanks,

SD

carolprudm
May. 16, 2011, 07:23 AM
County saddles can be made with short flaps. I lucked into 2, both bought as demos though are rarely found used. I am 5'4"

kris0227
May. 16, 2011, 12:17 PM
I am 5 foot even. I ride in a 36cm wide Duett Fidelio. It fits me well enough and I don't have an issue with the length of the flaps on it and it fits my mare fabulously. :)

netg
May. 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
I have heard absolutely wonderful things about the Trilogy and may someday get one for myself. I'm 5'1", though my legs are long proportionately.

I have an Ovation, and unfortunately don't know the style. Small knee rolls and not an overly deep seat which is what I am used to, so what I prefer right now at least. It's one of those saddles which fits most horses pretty easily - was used on a draft x before I got it, may or may not require a half pad on my TB depending on his weight, fits the friesian cross perfectly. The flaps are definitely too small for taller people, but fit me just right, and it encourages good leg position for me. Even when I was at my worst in it and flopping all over, it still kept my legs in the right place. (I just looked back at pics from a while back going "eeewwww" followed by "oh, but my legs look good!")

fanfayre
May. 16, 2011, 01:46 PM
I had to go custom, but it was the BEST thing I ever did. 5'2" on a tall day, 28-1/2" inseam. I got a Regal, made here on Vancouver Island.

Somantu
May. 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
5'2" w/short femur. Dressage saddle is a County Competitor w/short, forward flap.

Trevelyan96
May. 16, 2011, 04:48 PM
Amazingly, I found the Frank Baines Elegance fit my 4'11" frame very nicely. Mine has regular flaps, but you can order them new with short flaps. Really lovely saddles, hard to find them used in the US though.

Trevelyan96
May. 16, 2011, 04:52 PM
Found this one on Ebay. The seller is great to work with for trials.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Albion-SLK-Dressage-Saddle-16-5-Black-/280571334228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41535ace54

quietann
May. 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
Amazingly, I found the Frank Baines Elegance fit my 4'11" frame very nicely. Mine has regular flaps, but you can order them new with short flaps. Really lovely saddles, hard to find them used in the US though.

Agreed, many FB saddles have shorter flaps. I am thinking of buying a FB Reflex for my mare; we both loved it. The Elegance, not so much, but it's a different saddle. The Reflex is a monoflap, which I have heard can be better for short riders.

cmdrcltr
May. 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
Don't know if it is typical of the Eden because I bought it used (i.e. I don't know if the flaps were custom), but I used to ride in a Black Country Eden that fit me great and allowed me plenty of leg contact. I am 5' 1 1/2 ".

Horsepower
May. 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
The Bates Innova fits me great and I'm shorter than you.

ShayDarra
May. 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks all! Really appreciate any and all recommendations. Will try as many as I can before purchasing.

SD

atlatl
May. 17, 2011, 01:52 PM
Being of the long femur variety, I ride in a Trilogy Verago. I have many friends with the Debbie and they all love it.

Po-Po
May. 17, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have a MINT condition Bates Innova for sale if you are interested....

QHF
May. 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Just shy of 5' - very short femur - I have & love the Schleese Connexion.