PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite pony dressage saddle(s)

xcpony
May. 15, 2011, 02:44 PM
So I am in search of a new saddle because my 14.1 hand pony is just not digging my 16.5 wintec Isabelle. Even though its a small seat, the saddle is still too long.

I am pretty small, 5'3 and 110lb, so I think I can still fit in a 16'' saddle. My pony does not have a large barrel, she is built more like a small sport horse, she has a small back, and is built a tiny bit downhill (half arab).

I am currently looking at the Prestige Lucky and Kieffer Wien both in 16''. I only hear good reviews about the Prestige but see mixed reviews about the Kieffer. I'd like to have a deep, comfy, correct seat, large knee rolls, and preferably something that is easily adjustable. Also, like most people, I am on a budget. I am looking at well-maintained used saddles first.

I know, I know, I know the only way to know if a saddle truely fits is to try it, but I'd like to have a good idea already of the ones I want to try and oppinions from others play a vital role in which ones are totally worth checking out or not worth the time at all. :) By the way I live in Germany, so no I'm not interested in buying anyones saddle that they might be selling... the shipping internationally (fees, customs, and wait are not worth it for me) but if you wanna give me your saddle for free I might be interested :winkgrin:

thanks for looking!!! :D Reviews of these saddles and recomendations or warnings of other saddles will be greatly appreciated.

tempichange
May. 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
County.

Justmyluck
May. 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
My Stubben Genesis fits perfectly on my short backed pony who has a sport horse build.

Perfect Pony
May. 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
Honestly, I have a 14.1 pony who is narrow and pretty short coupled and nothing has really worked. My Isabell was WAY too long. I ended up ordering a JRD with a pony tree. I have a loaner JRD that works but still isn't perfect.

GreyDes
May. 15, 2011, 09:17 PM
I just went through this last year with my little Arab. The biggest challenge we had was finding something wide enough for his shoulders, and short enough in the panels to stay within the weight bearing area. We ended up compromising - the back panels go a bit further back than "ideal", but they're swept up, and the wool has been softened in the back so there's nothing digging into his loin.

We ended up with a Smith Worthington, but if you don't need crazy wide, you'll have a lot more options.

Have you done tracings yet? A good online store like Trumbull Mountain might have several options.

Here's my guy in his (very difficult to find...) dressage saddle. He seems very comfortable in it, so it was worth the hunt!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31375458&l=fe482c6472&id=1422642990

Perfect Pony
May. 15, 2011, 11:52 PM
You know, I totally forgot about this saddle, but it might work. They are actually really lovely. Wish I would have tried one before ordering the custom, damnit!

http://equestrianshop.com/shop/saddles/dressage/es-8834-stubben-juventus.html

mg
May. 16, 2011, 12:02 AM
I snagged a Stubben Juventus off eBay a couple months ago. It doesn't have a super deep seat or big knee rolls, but I think it's quite nice. I haven't ridden in it much since my pony turned up with a suspensory injury right around the time it arrived, but I liked it when I did ride in it. My pony is a 14.2hh TBx, so probably built somewhat like your mare. The Juventus fits him very well. I also *love* the brown leather piping on the front edge. Unfortuantely my saddle is used, so the brown has darkened up a LOT and isn't as noticeable.

Ltc4h
May. 17, 2011, 09:50 AM
The only thing I've found to fit well is a Spirig.
Those may be easier to fing over there.

ponysize
May. 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
I never found one for my short-backed large pony. She's going in an older country pro-fit #4 tree close contact saddle in a 16". I am 5'1, but with long thighs and the Lucky was not comfortable at all for me. I have another 16" prestige--not sure the model--on my other mare, but it was too long for this one.