PDA

View Full Version : You can grow Luffas

rustbreeches
May. 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
Went down the gardening aisle at Target and saw a seed packet for Luffas. I think many also spell them loufa or louffa. Anyways, they are a gourd, you can eat them when young, or wait til they mature and make sponges out of them. My entire life I thought they were a sea sponge. Going to see how well they like horse manure! I really hope this works out

sk_pacer
May. 15, 2011, 08:21 AM
Seeds have been available for loofa for ages. Depending where you are, they may need to be started indoors but with a long enough growing season, they will grow like mad. If you can grow ornamental gourds where you are, you can grow loofas. I didn't know, however, that they could be eaten, not that it matters to me as I consider all members of the squash family inedible except pumpkin made into pie :)

JSwan
May. 15, 2011, 08:41 AM
I've grown those and birdhouse gourds. There is this empty space behind the barn I use for squash and whatnot.

Watch out for stinkbugs - those *!&*(@#& things killed all my squash last year.

Have fun with your garden!

rustbreeches
May. 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
The seed packet says luffa can be eaten at about 2 inches and are best steamed or sauteed. They have an "exquisite nut-like flavor". I had no idea they were gourds! I haven't seen a stink bug out here yet. (Touches wood, spits 3 times)

CatOnLap
May. 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
We have a vine in Manitoba that is called "wild cucumber". It is a climber, and has roundish, 3-4 inch fruits which, if left on the vine, will have the flesh rot away in October and it looks exactly like a mini louffa by spinrgtime.

Growing gourds of all kinds is lots of fun because they are such quick growers with such nice leaves. They should loff your manure pile.

sk_pacer
May. 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
We have a vine in Manitoba that is called "wild cucumber". It is a climber, and has roundish, 3-4 inch fruits which, if left on the vine, will have the flesh rot away in October and it looks exactly like a mini louffa by spinrgtime.

I didn't know that about wild cucumbers, and they grow here in Saskatchewan too. My mother eradicated them all on this yard, so I don't recall seeing them in spring.

CatOnLap
May. 16, 2011, 10:46 AM
hehe. you can pick them when ripe and if you pull the skin away, you have what we used to call "dolly's underpants" a lacy framework with two channels that exactly fit a Barbie doll's legs.

You must be in Southern saskatchewan. I am going to PM you.