PDA

View Full Version : daily wormer to gain weight??

saaskya
May. 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
it was a hard winter on the farm and some of the horses got really skinny. i am hearing that putting the skinny ones on daily wormer will help gain the weight. but everyone is on a very regular deworming schedule ( i know because i deworm them all) and so im not sure how a dw will help them put on weight?? also vet is against dw because of the whole building immunities thing, which makes sense. so does anyone know why a dw would add weight, or why someone would think that? \

p.s. i know there was a dw thread but it was looking a little tense.

JB
May. 14, 2011, 09:38 PM
Nah, don't go there. Your vet is right, not to mention there is a growing resistance to the DWs.

Start back at the beginning:
- what were the horses eating before Winter compared to what they ate during the Winter and since then
- what where they last dewormed with, and when?
- what have you done so far to put weight back on them?
- how old are they?

BeeHoney
May. 14, 2011, 09:53 PM
No, daily dewormers are not a good idea. Yes, parasite infestation can cause poor condition, but daily dewormers are a poor solution. If you are worried about parasites being the cause of skinniness, then do some fecal egg counts through your vet clinic and get the horses on an appropriate regular deworming program.

Want your horses to gain weight? Feed more and better quality hay. Feed an appropriate amount of grain, preferably something that is beet pulp based with a high fat content. Depending on what your grain contains, consider adding beet pulp and fat (such as rice bran oil) to the diet.

Then have the dentist out to make sure that the horses don't have any dental problems that are contributing to their poor condition.