PDA

View Full Version : USDF Horse Registration

GallantGesture
May. 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have a question about the USDF horse registration application. It asks for the "Horse's Name" and then a few lines down the "Horse's Registered Name" and then "Breed Registry Number". I have a Jockey Club registered tb that needs a USDF number, and I am not going to show him with his JC name, so I will put the show name as "Horse's Name", but then for the All Breed Award, he will need a North American Thoroughbred Society membership, since the JC is not recognized by USDF. So for his registered name, do I use his show name and NATS for breed, or use JC name and JC number for registry? Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

AllWeatherGal
May. 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
I have a question about the USDF horse registration application. It asks for the "Horse's Name" and then a few lines down the "Horse's Registered Name" and then "Breed Registry Number". I have a Jockey Club registered tb that needs a USDF number, and I am not going to show him with his JC name, so I will put the show name as "Horse's Name", but then for the All Breed Award, he will need a North American Thoroughbred Society membership, since the JC is not recognized by USDF. So for his registered name, do I use his show name and NATS for breed, or use JC name and JC number for registry? Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

You don't have to use the NATS. You can also sign your horse up with the Performance Horse Registry (http://www.phr.com/) or American Warmblood Society (www.americanwarmblood.org/) if it's just for the All Breed Award eligibility. (I suggest AWS instead of AWR because it doesn't require an inspection or pedigree for basic registry. You can do it all by mail.)

In either case, once you register him with an eligible registry, forget he was ever a JC TB (of course, you'll never forget he's a Thoroughbred!!) ... use whatever name and registry that you choose for his "breed".

betonbill
May. 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
Can't you show him under a show name but also have the information available as the name he is registered by, e.g, Thunder (TB: Cutie Pie)? It is a shame to have his registry information and breed just disappear.

2Below
May. 15, 2011, 11:54 AM
You can register him with USDF under any name you want. I registered my TB with PHR and USDF under a different name than his JC name. Besides your horses performance, they also track the breeding. My TB's sire showed up under the Leading Sires one year and I found out he has a brother (different dam, still an OTTB), who competed successfully through PSG. I ended up contacting the owner and we've found a lot in common with our brothers. So apparently that stallion was an ok sporthorse producer, he's now deceased but if I found another by him, I'd snatch it up!

GallantGesture
May. 15, 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the info! That's exactly what I needed to know. I didn't realize there were other registries for TB's, so I'll have to look into those, and I also didn't realize they were tracking sires based on USDF memberships! I guess it makes sense though. So if I put his JC name and JC for registry on the USDF membership, can I still declare one of the other registries for the All Breed Award program?

2Below, that's really cool that your TB's sire turned out to be a Leading Sire, and to find a brother that made it to PSG is awesome!

yaya
May. 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
Yes, you can list his JC info on the registration form and declare him for another registry.

You just have to fill out an All-Breeds Declaration Form and send in the registration papers from that registry with it. You have to send it in by August 1 of the current show year in order to be eligible.

If you ever want to change what registry you declare, you pay $50 and send in another All-Breeds Declaration form.

GallantGesture
May. 16, 2011, 01:13 AM
Perfect, thanks! :)