PDA

View Full Version : Dressage movement? (vid)

selah
May. 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
So...I had one of my yearlings gelded very recently, and was moving him about the pasture as instructed by the vet (to make sure he drains well and heals) I noticed his babysitter 2y.o. full brother really strutting his stuff. I know the 2y.o. can jump...but don't know that this movement will fly in the hunter ring. Should I market him for dressage instead? (He's the lighter, taller grey in the vid.)
TIA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8FAqZVNn6c

CFFarm
May. 14, 2011, 09:29 AM
Eventer?

MunchingonHay
May. 14, 2011, 10:16 AM
Eventer?

my thoughts as well. If he has jump, like you stated, then eventer! best of both worlds. !!

selah
May. 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
my thoughts as well. If he has jump, like you stated, then eventer! best of both worlds. !!

Aargh...but tough market:(

Thanks for the input!

Perfect Pony
May. 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Well he is bred to be a dressage horse, but I am not sure why you don't think he will make a hunter. If he jumps like a hunter he has a very nice canter to go with it. He also has a nice trot that might have a little knee but he also has reach and a good rhythm.

It would all depend on how he moves and travels when he is asked to carry himself.

I don't see an eventer personally, and marketing him as one will get you half the price of a hunter/jumper or dressage horse.

paulaedwina
May. 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
Wow he's a thing of beauty. What's his conformation like? Do you know any dressage BNTs who could take a look?

Paula

Petstorejunkie
May. 14, 2011, 11:29 AM
He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer.
Honestly time will tell. The brain to me is what directs what discipline he will excel at

paulaedwina
May. 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love that. I'm going to have to rip that off for a siggy!:D

Paula

cuatx55
May. 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
Nice horse, offered a flying change which is helpful in deciding if the horse can do third level +. Trot is better then canter, but overall good gaits. Extra flashy? no, but looks well balanced and could do well in just about anything.

Other then that, horses can change movement undersaddle (some look BETTER, others flatten out) so time will tell as others have said.

Also, what the horse WANTS to do as his job is also key.

If I was buying a young horse for dressage he would be on my list.

Bronte
May. 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hunter. The canter is lateral.

Equibrit
May. 14, 2011, 05:47 PM
His rear leg action is too much out behind him, rather than under himself, for dressage.

joiedevie99
May. 14, 2011, 06:49 PM
His rear leg action is too much out behind him, rather than under himself, for dressage.

Ditto. The hind leg jumped out at me as well. I would market him towards the hunters.

Swing
May. 14, 2011, 08:19 PM
Im glad his hindend has been mentioned...I noticed too, that his hindend is out behind him...he doesnt place his hindfoot far enough under his body. and this is what i would look at in a dressage prospect, as well as a very good canter....which he doesnt have.

Any horse can do fchanges in the paddock...even my big wb mare who hasnt a great canter can do sequesnce changes:lol: but to get that under saddle is much harder

I too, would market him as a hunter or eventer

selah
May. 14, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks all, for the input!
I think if you do stop-action on the vid, you can see that sometimes he steps very far underneath himself...and other times not. He is about 16H at 2y.o., and still very gangly and leggy. He is very sweet, and eager to please...and he learns quickly. But all big feet, big long legs, looong neck...a lot of big parts to grow into.
I wondered if he had too much movement for hunters...at least for the hack. I know the desired movement for hunters has been evolving...not sure they're ready for him yet, however:)

dudleyc
May. 15, 2011, 06:00 AM
As far as the change - he was late behind by about 4 strides.

selah
May. 15, 2011, 06:12 AM
As far as the change - he was late behind by about 4 strides.

Actually...late by about 5 strides, though he had another clean change around 2:20...and there was a handy little kick-fart-change combo that had my daughter (with camera) snorting!:winkgrin:

Swing
May. 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
Mind you,,,,he IS a nice type...adn we are being quite picky here. Over here in Oz, he would be a perfect eventer...not sure about hunters as we dont really have that here?

But a hardy eventer that can put in a decent dressage test and is agile on their feet cross country, is much sort after over here:D Something that is atheletic and isnt going to get too heavy.

good booie
May. 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
I really have a gut feeling towards hunter. Good luck with him. His is super yummy!!! Love his movement but don't see "dressage" there. JMHO:)

selah
May. 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it!

Hunters is good...eventing is good, but IMHO, an awful market. Perfect Pony got it spot-on!

EqTrainer
May. 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
This horse is two. So who knows. In a year he could be unrecognizable from this video.

What stands out to me is how well he handles himself on the terrain and in the corners. When he decides to push up the hill rather than pull, he uses himself very well. He is also very wound up, which is cheating a bit :lol:

He is having fun being a Big Boy and bossing his friends around, which is a point not to be lost, his breeder can comment on his innate traits such as dominance, confidence, etc.

I think he will be interesting to look at again at 3, the neck fairy will have stopped by...

LarkspurCO
May. 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
The Neck Fairy :lol: I like that. Can she come by my place?

My yearling doesn't necessarily gather himself up in the canter when he's playing around in the field, but he certainly can when he wants to. And he went gold in his keuring, with high scores for movement. Sometimes he walks around on his hind legs just for fun. Sometimes he lazily plods around.

I'm just glad my life does not depend on judging movement in babies. All I can see is legs, legs, legs.

Jeito
May. 16, 2011, 07:06 AM
He's a lovely horse but IMO definitely a hunter. Like others, I don't see dressage in that canter, and the nice trot has more reach than suspension. I just came back from a hunter show, and his movement would have won in the hunter flat classes. Besides, the hunter hack is only one out of four classes in a division, and the judges tend to pin the horses that did well over fences :winkgrin:

Velvet
May. 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
I agree with giving him a bit more time. All of those saying he's not a dressage mover might be thinking for the upper levels as a competitive international horse. Um, well, guess what? Most people will never even see the FEI levels. A horse like this could make a very nice hunter, eventer or dressage horse for an AA--if his personality is willing and sweet.

It's more about personality and a desire to learn that is needed for AAs. He's not uber lofty, which is good. All those who need a barcolounger that also looks nice in the ring will like him. ;) If he has a brain, he will work hard and will figure out how to carry himself. He will develop more muscle and will find most of the work to not be a big deal. Heck, he might even be one of those stealth horses in his chosen field. He looks kind of average (for a WB) in the field and then "Voila!" he works harder than the flashiest horse there and steals the prize. ;)

Who's the black?

Liz
May. 16, 2011, 08:45 PM
You know, I would take a average horse with a "can do attitude" and a lot of try over a "10" mover with just a so so work ethic. Most of us are not competing on an international scale (or even national) but on a regional scale. If he has a good attitude, with the right training, I am sure he could be a fine dressage horse.

Just my opinion, that and he is kind of young to be picking a discipline. Start him under saddle and see what he likes to do, then market him accordingly.

HSS
May. 16, 2011, 09:49 PM
He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer.

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Just couldn't resist- that is sooo funny!!

Anyway, the more we looked at him, the more we liked him.

For a butt high 2 year old, he looks fine to us! I think he would make a lovely dressage horse, all the way to PSG talent showing at the moment-

And that's plenty till he grows up and decides for himself.

selah
May. 16, 2011, 10:13 PM
Who's the black?

The black (very slowly going grey) in the vid is his yearling full brother, who had just been gelded a day or two before...that's why I was chasing them around like a madwoman...to get him to move to keep the area draining, and swelling down.
This is a half brother (same dam), 4y.o. Not the best clip for showing trot movement...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C07woS4QHgM

Valentina_32926
May. 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
I think he could do either hunters or dressage. A good rider can work on getting his hind end more underneath himself and he has decent suspension in his gaits - but not enough for the "best of the best" dressage (international) nor enough to get voted out of hunters.

Plus he's only two. Nice gelding. :D

J-Lu
May. 18, 2011, 02:02 AM
I agree. This horse is two. It's too early to dedicate him to a career path and exclude others. There's no way of knowing how he'll handle his under-saddle training or how that might influence his gaits.

He is a little out behind but IMO, so what. Many dressage bred horses are out behind at 2. Unless you are selling an olympic prospect, this could be something a good rider/trainer can work on.

If anything, I'd be concerned that he doesn't raise his withers much in the transitions - he seems to use his under-neck more. But he's two. He might just be discombobulated.

And who knows how his jumping form will turn out, which is critical for hunters.

My advice: cast the net wide at this stage and see who believes that he's just what they're looking for. He looks athletic enough right now to go in several directions....but who knows - he's just two.
Good luck!

DancingDraft
May. 18, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'm just glad my life does not depend on judging movement in babies. All I can see is legs, legs, legs.

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this!