PDA

View Full Version : Horses no longer allowed in Greenbelt National Park

Tara
May. 13, 2011, 05:17 PM
Is Greenbelt National Park (in Maryland) the only National Park that is no longer allowing horses? Or is this a trend throughout the United States now?

HorsingRound
May. 15, 2011, 03:14 PM
It's a trend. The managers of the National Park system have, typically and historically in the last few years, been anti-horse.

You might search around on the Backcountry Horsemen of America website www.backcountryhorse.com to find information on "Right to Ride" legislation; how to invite and write a Memorandum of Understanding with park managers; and specific information on issues with the National Park Service. You might also try contacting someone with the BCH of Colorado because I know there has been an ongoing issue with allowing horses in Rocky Mountain National Park that the BCH members have been working on.

Good luck and don't give up or give in! Oftentimes it's just one or two people in the park service who don't like horses who make up these "rules" without following the proper due process, and then get away with it when no one says anything.

CosMonster
May. 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
In my area, some parks (both national and state) are closed to horses temporarily due to extremely high fire hazard--they're closed to ATVers (if they were open to them previously) and IIRC bikers as well. However they will reopen.

Otherwise we are pretty good, but we also have huge amounts of wilderness areas and public lands, and it does take vigilance and work. It's definitely a trend to close more and more areas to horses unfortunately. Definitely agree that getting involved with your local BCHA or other trail advocacy group and doing what you can to reopen trails and keep areas open in the future is a good idea for all trail riders.

BCHA is also great because there's a lot of emphasis on service and working on trails. In my area we have a pretty good relationship with the various government groups (BLM, Forest Service, etc.) because we get out there and volunteer to help them with maintenance and care.