PDA

View Full Version : How much storage space for hay?

Houdini1220
May. 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm in the process of trying to build a barn on a small piece of property. I'm going to be keeping two horses on the property. I'm trying to figure out the minimum amount of space I could get away with for hay storage assuming I would have it delivered once a month. I'm new to this, so any insight is appreciated. How much hay would you order a month for two horses, and how much room would I need to store that amount of hay.

Tamara in TN
May. 13, 2011, 04:32 PM
what size are your bales? traditional 41 inch or compressed 21 inch?
as storage needs are determined by dimensions of the items to be stored.

Tamara

Houdini1220
May. 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
I don't buy my own hay right now, I do full boarding, but most bales in my area are the larger ones, so I would plan for those.

HPFarmette
May. 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
I am guessing you would use one or two bales per day if it's decent quality hay. Of the normal (not compressed) type. My hay storage area is about 12 feet by 20 feet and about 4 feet open space along 2 sides for access. Other two sides are against corner of the barn. I get 50 bales per delivery, and it gets stacked 4 or 5 bales high. If you can arrange for more ground space, you wouldn't have to stack it as high. If you have to do it yourself, you will be happy about that. You'll never regret giving yourself extra space, IMO, if you can.

Tamara in TN
May. 13, 2011, 04:57 PM
at 20 lbs a day you would feed 1200lb/mo
if the bales weigh 50 lb you need room for 24 bales
the dimension is 41x14x18 and if you can stack them
9 feet tall, your floor dimension is 4x4foot
or 4 foot deep 4 foot tall and 9 foot long

but being an unregulated industry,there are countless
variables involved to package size and weight and
quality.

Tamara

GoForAGallop
May. 13, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm in the process of trying to build a barn on a small piece of property. I'm going to be keeping two horses on the property. I'm trying to figure out the minimum amount of space I could get away with for hay storage assuming I would have it delivered once a month. I'm new to this, so any insight is appreciated. How much hay would you order a month for two horses, and how much room would I need to store that amount of hay.

Before you start planning for a month's worth, I would make sure that you have a local farmer that is willing to do that for you. In my area, very few farmers will store hay for clients, unless it is a contract for a large boarding barn. The few that do allow hay storage require it to be paid up front, and you come and pick it up, they don't deliver it. The only way you can get hay around here in say, January, is if it's already sitting in your own barn or if you go down to the farm supply store where you will be paying upwards of $8.00 a bale for not-so-great stuff. (Which is an outrage considering it's $3.50 a bale for great stuff around here....they just know they've got you by the short and curlies in the middle of the winter.)

As for how much hay you'd order, figure out what your horses are eating now on a daily basis, and extrapolate that out. It's going to vary dramatically based on your horse keeping practices/your horses/etc.

Merely as an example...I have three relatively easy-keeping horses who split two bales (roughly 50lbs each) every day. One for AM feeding and one for PM feeding. They may get a third bale in the middle of the day if it's particularly cold, or a little bit more at night check. I have enough pasture so that they don't need hay in the summer months. But I figure about 60 bales a month for Nov-April (360 bales) plus I toss another 75-100 bales on top of that figure in case I start feeding out earlier/are feeding out later in the spring than planned (like this spring, when it just refused to warm up and they didn't go out on pasture until about a week ago), or in case bales get ruined somehow. Always plan on a hay buffer....best case scenario you end up with some extra and can sell it to a friend.

Properly stacked, I can fit 150 bales in a roughly 15x15 loft bay, about 7' high.

2DogsFarm
May. 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
OP: when you say "large" do you mean the 4x4' squares? Or round bales?

FWIW:
I store 250 55# small square bales - ~6.5 tons - in a space the size of 2 12X12 stalls: so about 3000cf (stacked to the rafters @ 10').
For me, this is a year's supply for 2 horses w/access to some pasture for add'l forage.
This year I will cut back by 50 bales since I'm feeding one horse & 1 pony.

IF you can possibly set aside this kind of space, I know it makes me feel a lot more confident to have the year's supply in. One less thing to stress about in bad weather.

Even if your hayguy is willing to hold some or all of your hay purchase & deliver later, he still needs to be able to get his truck/wagon onto your property & in the vicinity of your barn or hay storage bldg.

Take anything Tamara in TN says to heart - hay is her business :yes:

shakeytails
May. 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
I have a hay barn, but also have a small hay area in my horse barn approximately 6'x8'(the back side is my feed room, also about 6x8). It'll easily hold 30 50-55# bales; we've had close to 50 in there when emptying part of a hay wagon.

I have 4 in the barn right now, and I feed about 2 bales a day so about 60 bales/month.

UrbanHennery
May. 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
I keep two QH at home here in the PNW. I figure on 20 # each per day during the winter and 10# each during the summer (we've got some pasture). I can get 6 of the 6.5 tons I need into my loft, which is approx 10'x25' stacked 5 high. I stacked the rest on pallets on the floor and use them first. FWIW, my bales are bigger than yours as they're 90-110# depending on who I buy from.

It doesn't snow around here, but even so it's a PITA to get hay delivered (or picked up) when it rains for 8 months of the year.

This year I'm going into summer with 4.5 tons of 2010 hay to feed (found some 2 weeks ago that was gorgeous and reasonably priced) so likely will be dealing with the nightmare of getting hay in Jan or Feb to not end up with the 2011 hay in front of the 2010. I'm not looking forward to figuring out how to have 2 tons delivered during the rainy months. :(

Mali
May. 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
I built a 10x10 lean to a few summers ago and I can put 40-50 bales in there, and still have enough room to fill haybags, etc. My 2 geldings eat a bale a day, so it's perfect. I left the entire front open, and just have a tarp hanging to protect the hay from the weather. Everyone keeps bothering me to put on a door, but the tarp is so simple to work around, and when it comes time to fill the shed I just take the tarp down and we can toss/stack the hay very easily. I put 4 wooden pallets on the ground inside the shed to keep the hay elavated. I have a 5" diameter pvc pipe that I drilled a few holes thru & I run cable ties thru the holes and attach it to the bottom of the tarp. It keeps it from blowing around and I can just turn the pipe up on it's end and it drapes the tarp out of the way while I'm working in the shed. So simple & easy - I love it!

My hay is 40lbs small square bales of timothy.

MistyBlue
May. 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't have excess hay storage either. My insurance didn't allow for a loft to be built for hay storage in my barn and our town requires a solid foundation for any building over 10x10. Needless to say spending a few grand on a solid foundation ups the cost of a hay barn...we didn't build one.

I have 2 horses at home too. I go through approximately a bale a day for two horses...I do not have enough grazing to qualify as their daily roughage intake. I have a small grass paddock that they can go out on 2-4 hours per day for 6 months of the year. So it's more of a salad bar than main course. :winkgrin:

I say roughly a bale per day because it's not often around here that all bales will weigh 50 lbs. In one load I can have some 40 lb, some 45 lb, some 50 lb and even some 60 lb. So I feed by weight and feed each horse 25# per day. Some days I have a flakes left over from a bale and some days I have to open a 2nd bale.

I buy my hay every 3 weeks, the hay guy is 5 minutes from my house and prefers me to pick up as I need it. I coould go once a month, but hay guy is spoiled and likes more often visits as I bring him home made treats, LOL! I buy 25 bales every 21 days. I store them in a 10x12 empty stall, a single row 4 bales high. Leaves 3/4 of the stall for other stuff without being cramped.

You can stuff a buttload of hay in a single 10x12 or 12x12 stall. Easily 100 bales without it being way over your head. If you pack to the rafters, a lot more than that I'd bet. I don't pay for delivery, I have a pick up and unloading and stacking 25 bales takes me, by myself, about 15 minutes to unload and stack. Not worth paying for delivery.

MistyBlue
May. 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hey Tamara...those compressed bales...do expand a lot when you pop them open or do they keep their shape and the flakes are just really dense tight? I always wondered about that...if when you open a new compressed bale it "pops" or does it retain it's compressed state.

I'm thinking that would be an enormous benefit in storing hay. 21" vs regular size is about half the size...meaning you can store twice the weight in hay in the same space.

hosspuller
May. 14, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hey Tamara...those compressed bales...do expand a lot when you pop them open or do they keep their shape and the flakes are just really dense tight? I always wondered about that...if when you open a new compressed bale it "pops" or does it retain it's compressed state.

I'm thinking that would be an enormous benefit in storing hay. 21" vs regular size is about half the size...meaning you can store twice the weight in hay in the same space.

I got some of Tamara's a/o hay last year. Great stuff. My Horses thought it was cocaine. Doesn't pop much when opened. Downside is the weight. It's like handling a 65 pound chunk of concrete.

fordtraktor
May. 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
If you are building and have the flexibility, I would build enough space to store a year's supply of hay. There is nothing like knowing you have enough to get your horses through to the next year -- and locking in good summer prices. Prices often go up substantially in the winter if the crop was bad, once people start feeling the shortage.

For two horses, I would give myself at least 12 by 36 for a year's supply. I can fit over 100 average small bales per stall, stacked to the ceiling (12'). I would do 12 by 48 if you can, then you have room to park some farm machinery there if you aren't using the space, good to keep stuff dry anyway. :)

If I was just doing a month, I would build an extra stall and keep the hay in one of the stalls. Then you can rotate stalls and, in an emergency, pull out the hay and house a third horse. A third stall makes the barn more valuable for resale as well.

Tamara in TN
May. 14, 2011, 03:35 PM

the compression on the medium sized press that we have can never be more than 30% over the field compression....the larger presses can go to 50-75%(??) I think and hence the term "double compressed" as Larsen sends to FL or what is exported to the Pacific Rim...

so for a press like ours you can have that "pop" in grass hay but not so much in alfalfas which will hold the compression being more leaf and less stalk..

we can make 50-60lbs in that 21" bale...the storage savings is tremendous...

Tamara

MistyBlue
May. 14, 2011, 08:33 PM
I got some of Tamara's a/o hay last year. Great stuff. My Horses thought it was cocaine. Doesn't pop much when opened. Downside is the weight. It's like handling a 65 pound chunk of concrete.

I wish I lived close enough to get hay from Tamara. But CT is just a *titch* outside of their regular delivery zone. ;)
And then there's the occasional epic machinery malfunction with some of their trucks. :winkgrin: :lol: :winkgrin:

30% compression is still a whole lotta saved storage space. 75% is HUGE...I'd imagine it's like slinging cubes of lead around though. But for storing and/or shipping compression has to be a huge space/money saver!

I'm guessing wire baled? We see some of the 3 wire bales here. Not sure how much those are compressed but they're definitely a lot more dense and heavy than the average 2 string bales.

Tamara in TN
May. 14, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm guessing wire baled? We see some of the 3 wire bales here. Not sure how much those are compressed but they're definitely a lot more dense and heavy than the average 2 string bales.

no poly strapping...three per 21"
http://www.productionacres.com/hay_sales_info_page.htm
4th pic down from top

Tamara