PDA

View Full Version : Preakness get together what to serve?

Mukluk
May. 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Planning a small get together to watch the Preakness. Just wondering what is considered traditional in terms of drinks and food. Any recipes, links to recipes, etc. would be terrific. Thanks!

Xctrygirl
May. 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Black Eyed Susan..

Google it.

~Em

Leprechaun
May. 13, 2011, 05:08 PM
BOCA PUNCH OR POMEGRANATE COSMOPOLITAN OR POMEGRANATE MARTINI W/MIX.

BOCA PUNCH
Mix in a container equal parts Orange, Pineapple & Cranberry Juice.
In a tall glass, full of ice
1/2 Barcardi Light
1/2 Juice Mix
"Floater" of Myers Dark on top

POMEGRANATE COSMOPOLITAN
2 c. Good Vodka
1 c. Cointreau
3 c. Cranberry Juice
1 c. POM Pomegranate Juice
1/2 c. Freshly Squeezed Lim
(These are fairly stong, sometime I cut it with a bit more cranb. juice or even a splash of water. Will prevent you from having to carry anyone home!)

Also, an easy solution is a mix that I buy at my local grocery. Stirrings, Simple Pomegranate Martini Mix. It's good, easy, and everyone can choose their own strength. I also add a squirt of lime juice.

HAVE FUN!

Laurierace
May. 13, 2011, 05:12 PM
There aren't any traditional Preakness foods that I am aware of. Crabcakes are traditional Maryland staple though. Plus they are super easy to make. The Black Eyed Susan is the traditional drink as Em said. They aren't that great but definitely better than mint juleps.

http://www.preakness.com/preakness-tradition/black-eyed-susan-official-drink-preakness

Glimmerglass
May. 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
Black Eyed Susan.

Per the google: the Black Eyed Susan drink (http://www.preakness.com/preakness-tradition/black-eyed-susan-official-drink-preakness)

I doubt Kegasus would drink it but WWE "diva" Stacy Keibler" who will be in the infield will likely imbibe (http://dundalk.patch.com/articles/stacy-keibler-to-participate-in-preakness-activities) with one ;)

Laurierace
May. 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Beat you to it Glimmer! I do love the countdown on that link that we both posted.

Acertainsmile
May. 13, 2011, 09:06 PM
Black Eyed Susans and Crab Cakes... classic for the Preakness!

And don't knock Mint Julips, after the first one or two they are really delicious! :winkgrin:

manesntails
May. 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
Carrot cake in the shape of a horse shoe, of course~!!

Leprechaun
May. 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
Sorry. My suggestions weren't so much about Maryland as just good cocktails! Have fun!

Trevelyan96
May. 18, 2011, 03:13 PM
Actually, the Black Eyed Susan was a major hit at our last Preakness party.

Crabcakes are always welcome at any 'do' in MD.

pnalley
May. 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for crab cakes? I have tried many and never found really good ones, but the deep south is know for fried stuff, not crab cakes

Laurierace
May. 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
Well my recipe is expensive but worth it if you don't have a huge get together. I use one pound jumbo lump for about 4 people. If I have a bigger group go one pound jumbo lump and one pound lump for 8 people unless your budget is big then go all jumbo. One half cup light mayo per pound and two teaspoons old bay per pound. Mix together and chill for at least an hour. Shape by hand and broil until lightly browned on top. This recipe has no filler so it falls apart pretty easily. It makes a messy sandwich so better served without a bun if possible.

bdj
May. 19, 2011, 01:02 PM
Laurie - I like the sound of your recipe!

I'm cheap and lazy, though - so I usually just go with the recipe on the back of the can of Old Bay... or go for "Poor Man's Crab Cakes" made with zucchini... not the same, but still good.

Several recipes can be found here: http://www.marylanddelivered.com/crabcakes.htm - the "Old Bay Crab Cakes" recipe is the one that's on the back of the can - but I don't think I've ever included the baking powder.

danceronice
May. 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
... or go for "Poor Man's Crab Cakes" made with zucchini... not the same, but still good..

Not the same, but better for those of us with allergies to crustacean shellfish!

tradewind
May. 19, 2011, 02:23 PM
If you do not have the budget for crab cakes, there are a variety of crab dips that are at many parties in Maryland. Personally, I am a crab purist and don't care for the dips all that much. They do, however, stretch a buck, as they do not require lump or jumbo lump. You can use "special" or oh the horrors, claw meat. Don't forget a couple of National Bohemian beers, they are a true Baltimore think, most often refered to as a Natie Bo.

pnalley
May. 20, 2011, 06:58 AM
When I try it, it will be for 2 so I will try to go all out. How big do you make the cakes? 1/4 cup or smaller?

tdomino2
May. 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
Great way to serve crab to a crowd! This is the recipe I make if my ego needs a boost...ALWAYS gets rave reviews!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together 2 cups grated cheddar, 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon sherry (cooking sherry from the grocery store works in a pinch), 1 tablespoon old bay, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard. Gently add 1 pound crab meat*. Bake in greased dish, covered, for 30 min. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 min.
*Lump or backfin. Lump will come out more like lumps of crab surrounded by dip, backfin distributes more evenly and is cheaper. Both are delicious!

If you're feeling calorie-conscious, sub in Neufchatel for one of both of the cream cheese blocks, and/or use non-fat Greek Yogurt (real Greek yogurt, not silly Dannon or Yoplait kinds) instead of sour cream.

Serve with sturdy crackers (we like Triscuits) or toasted slices of french bread.

bdj
May. 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
When I try it, it will be for 2 so I will try to go all out. How big do you make the cakes? 1/4 cup or smaller?

Around my house, 1/4c sized crab cakes would be considered crab balls, not cakes! Depending on your recipe, we'd figure that 1# of crabmeat should make anywhere from 3-6 cakes - 3 if you want big hefty ones (that you might find easier to broil than pan fry), 6 if you're serving something else to go with.

Glimmerglass
May. 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
While not a B'more drink I'd suggest if its warm wherever you are to do a Moscow Mule (http://www.cocktailtimes.com/vodka/moscowmule.shtml).

Use Aussie-imported Bundaberg diet ginger beer (http://www.bundaberg.com/info/product_range/diet_ginger_beer/) - available at any World Cost Market - as the taste is superior to any "full calorie" edition. The original Cock'nBull ginger beer can be found but frankly I've tried them all and theirs is only middle of the pack.

Mukluk
May. 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
It was Black Eyed Susans and Crab Cakes.

YUM.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!