PDA

View Full Version : Selling a horse for the first time--need some COTH help!

zackly9445
May. 13, 2011, 02:55 PM
Okay COTHer's:

I haven't been logged on in a while, but I'm putting up my horse for sale for the very first time, and I couldn't think of a better group to ask for advice on the matter! I'm leaving for college in the fall, and like a lot of us, don't have a choice but to sell my buddy. :(

What do I need to know? I want to make sure I find him the best home possible, so I want to make sure the buyer has all the info they need, but also make sure that I come out the other end! I've done a lot of reading online and asked friends, but I'd love the opinions of you guys.

So what do you think?

Thanks a bundle!!:)

chancellor2
May. 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
You better list quickly if you hope to sell by fall. This is a tough market and I imagine Michigan is tougher than it is here in the Northeast. The best thing you can do is have a good video of the horse. And some good conformation shots without a lot of stuff on the horse (boots, wraps, tack).

netg
May. 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
It kind of depends what you want to sell the horse to do. If you just want to sell the horse on to be a show horse, but also want to be picky about where it goes, I highly recommend telling everyone you know and getting info out by word of mouth. If you ask a little below current market, you have a lot more say in where the horse ends up. But that's harder on you financially. My two primary horses I've sold ended up in the perfect homes for them because I sold one well below what his market would have been - but he was developing arthritis (still sound though) and I wanted to make sure he went somewhere he would get to take it easy and not be stuck in a stall, and the other was a great kids horse sold at market value at the time for a grade 13 year old packer of a kids horse who could do all disciplines, but lacked any amount of "fancy" to her.

Just keep in mind if you're asking $45k you can't be as picky about where a horse goes as if you're asking $1k or even $10k. My fancy show horse sold with permission to see x-rays I had taken to understand what was going on, and my vet was willing to talk to the buyers. We actually had the same farrier which is how I found them, and he knew he was allowed to give them details, too.

As far as the sales info - an indication of show record, a horse who is properly groomed but in its stall/pasture when buyers arrive so they can see all aspects of handling, good photos and if possible video online, an easy to read summary of the horse's strengths... Write the description optimistically, but while giving sufficient information. So if the horse has a nasty spin spook, you definitely want to say it's not a horse for a beginner rider, but also stress how athletic the horse is, etc.

Good luck, though I'm sorry you have to sell!

zackly9445
May. 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
chancellor2--I put him up a couple of days ago, and I have someone looking this weekend! It certainly is a tough market, though, you're right.

netg--wow, thank you! That helped a lot.

He's a 2nd level horse, and I ride 1st. I started his price on the low end, and I'm totally negotiable on it to the right person. He's super sensitive, so if I find him a human that meets his needs and vise versa, I'll have no problem giving them a deal on him.

Darko
May. 13, 2011, 08:56 PM
Good quality video is really important... and post it everywhere. Get in touch with trainers as they are often the ones with buyers. Be prepared though to figure out the commission arrangement first. Another thing buyers like (depending on price) is to see current x rays. And it seems, the less expensive the horse, the more perfect it needs to be and vice versa... at least here in MD. And be honest, as some people really do appreciate it.