PDA

View Full Version : Adding extra padding to seat in custom saddle --- bad idea?

Watermark Farm
May. 13, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm ordering a Black Country dressage saddle for my horse. I've inquired with BC about the option of having some additional padding put into the seat.

BC said they do add padding as an option but that the seat sometimes wrinkles as the padding compresses. They would not cover wrinkling under their warranty.

Have any of you ordered a saddle with extra seat padding, and if so, did you like it and did you have problems with the seat wrinkling? Likes? Dislikes?

I'm 42 and sometimes I just want a little extra down there, especially for trail rides.

CHT
May. 13, 2011, 02:09 PM
Not sure if it is the same idea, but my Frank Bains saddle has the seat extra padded so the they could use a 17 inch tree for my horse, but make the seat smaller for me. I have not had issues with the leather.

I wonder though, for your case, if a seat saver would be a better options.

alibi_18
May. 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
I would go with a sheepskin seat saver if I were you....and actually, I do have one that I put on my saddles for the winter time!!! Just love it! :D

amastrike
May. 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
Ditto the seat saver suggestion, probably a better option if you're mostly looking for part-time cushioning.

GreyDes
May. 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
I got a semi-custom Smith Worthington, and thought the demo I rode in was just a bit hard in the seat, so I had them add extra padding. It's been less than a year, but no issues so far, and my seat is very comfy!

I wouldn't call it super padded, but it's a noticeable difference (at least to me...) from the standard model.

I love it for trail riding, but also appreciate the extra padding for arena work. I feel I ride better when I'm more comfortable, because I'm not tensing my body to hold myself in a comfortable spot.

Watermark Farm
May. 14, 2011, 12:31 AM
Many thanks for your replies. I hadn't thought of a seat saver ---- duh! That's a great idea. Like GreyDes, I also appreciate a little extra padding for arena work.

Please keep the comments coming. I had to give Black Country a final word by Monday. :)

jn4jenny
May. 14, 2011, 07:10 AM
I owned a Black Country jumping saddle with the "extra soft seat option," and it did not wrinkle or compress. My seat was made from BC's vintage leather so perhaps the thickness/sturdyness of the leather had something to do with it. I have very bony seat bones, so the padding was a must-have for me.

However, I have seen the wrinkling on an older Frank Baines Elegance dressage saddle (we're talking 10+ years old) with what seems like a thinner calfskin leather on the seat. It's not attractive sitting on the saddle rack, but nobody can tell once there's a butt in the saddle.

Watermark Farm
May. 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks Jn4jenny! After a discussion with my fitter and a friend who also had this option put into her BC, I've decided to go for it! I'm also going to purchase a lambskin seat saver for trail rides.

I must have really bony seat bones, too. Just went for my OB-GYN appt and was laughing with the OB about my "weaver's bottom" which is callouses underneath the seat bones. Named for the days when weavers sat astride hard wooden benches all day to work. OB says she always knows a dressage rider this way...