View Full Version : Pressure washer suggestions please....

May. 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
A gas powered pressure washer is at the top of my wishlist this spring. Would very much appreciate any suggestions on the amount of power best suited to hobby farm needs and/or reliable brands to check out.

Tom King
May. 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
I have Mi-T-M 11 hp 4.4 gpm 2500 psi, that I use on wooden structures, decks, fences, etc. It comes with 4 different fan width nozzles. It also has an attachment for sucking cleaners into the hose, like bleach or detergent. You have to use the widest nozzle-45 degrees- to pull bleach through. The othes go down to 0 degrees. 45 degrees is just some more strength than a water hose, where the 0 will cut into wood. I never use the 0 on wood, but mostly the 15.

If I used it for cleaning stuff like heavy equipment, I'd go with a higher pressure unit, but I've had this one for probably 15 years and I'd buy another one.

May. 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
Go down to your local Northern Tool emporium and you'll find a wide variety of machines in a wide array of prices. I bought a low end machine about 18 years ago and ran it 'till it died after ten years or so. I've got another low ender and it's run just fine for 8 years.

One thing to consider the availability of attachments for special jobs (cleaning gutters, paint removal, etc.). Some of the lower end machines don't have any optional equipment available. If you have a need for some variety in your work it's something to think about.

They also have some electric units but I've not heard too much favorable about them.

When my current unit dies I'll buy another modest cost machine.

May. 12, 2011, 11:54 PM

There is a Northern Tool not too far from me and I found several Mi-T-M dealers in my area. I looked at my local John Deere dealer last week and while I'm sure theirs are very nice, even the low end is a bit over my budget :lol:

I want to use it to clean the mud off my utility tractor (heavy clay soil) and strip the peeling paint off an old dairy barn as well as various smaller jobs.

Do you think a 3000psi model would be adequate? What about minimum gpm?