PDA

View Full Version : Morel question for mushroom people!

TrueColours
May. 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
I found these 3 morels today while I was cutting grass - yay!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/images/Morel.jpg

I have never picked wild mushrooms before - and in reading on line they said there is a "false" morel which is very poisonous

How can you tell the difference? And why is one a charcoally colour and the other 2 are tan in colour?

I would LOVE to be able to eat these - they smell fabulous - but not if I am going to end up eating the wrong kind ...

Thanks a bunch! :)

Belg
May. 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
Slice it in half lengthwise. If it's hollow, it's a morel. Will accept 1/2 lb for the tip ;)

Canaqua
May. 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
We have morels growing in our lawn (this reminds me to go check tonight to see if any are ready to eat!). You can tell whether they are real morels or not but cutting them in half lengthwise and seeing if they are hollow inside:

http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html

bathsheba8542
May. 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
Lucky you! We've found a few pounds of morels this spring...what a treat to have them right outside our door. I love them sliced, sauteed in butter, and then served with eggs from our chickens. Enjoy!

Dad Said Not To
May. 16, 2011, 07:30 AM
The grey one is likely younger. Greys and yellows are the same type, but tend to turn progressively more yellow as they age.

It's a good idea to cut the stem of morels rather than picking them. That way, you have less cleaning to do (very important to me, as the property where I hunt has sandy soil) and you're not damaging the mycelium (the underground fungal network, or "roots" of the morels).

JBCool
May. 16, 2011, 12:06 PM
Can I come eat at your house? ;) Haven't been lucky enough to have morels in years!

Lucky you! We've found a few pounds of morels this spring...what a treat to have them right outside our door. I love them sliced, sauteed in butter, and then served with eggs from our chickens. Enjoy!

Canaqua
May. 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
Darn! Some animal is digging up the morels in our back yard! I went out to check on them yesterday and found about 10 torn out of the ground and gone. Some animal must be enjoying them, I wonder what it is? I managed to rescue about 5 mushrooms that were big enough to be worth eating. I'm hoping to beat the pest to the tiny ones that need to grow more before picking them.

pony grandma
May. 16, 2011, 02:22 PM
I posted this on Off Course - didn't see this here then.

Went to load a horse yesterday. Hadn't used the trailer for a few weeks - all this rain and humidity -- opened the door and found a morel mushroom growing in a piece of manure! Anyone hunting morels lately ever thought to look in there?? :lol:

TrueColours
May. 16, 2011, 02:42 PM
Pony grandma - how funny!!! :lol:

They were fabulous. I dont believe that Ive ever had a morel before and we savored every bit of them ... :)

Now I am on a "Morel Mission" but havent found any more of them and I know the season is ending shortly

And funnily enough where I found them growing was where I flung some manure bits over the fence when I was cleaning that paddock in the winter, so I guess the moral (morel?!) of the story is to fling manure in the winter and hunt for morels in that area in the spring!!! :lol:

Thanks for the input everyone - much appreciated! :)

OveroHunter
May. 16, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'm going to go morel hunting tonight, you guys have me so excited about potentially finding some of my own!

Simbalism
May. 17, 2011, 01:30 AM
I have an internet friend who lives in Wisconsin that goes out riding in the woods to hunt morels. I have never had them. I'm not sure if they grow in this area? (Va)

2DogsFarm
May. 17, 2011, 06:44 AM
Manure pile? I have that!
2dogs puts on Morel-hunting outfit.....

baysngreys
May. 17, 2011, 01:08 PM
I laughed when I saw the title - I read "moral question re mushrooms" and for the life of me couldn't imagine what you could possibly do with a mushroom that was immoral! lol

CatOnLap
May. 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
I laughed when I saw the title - I read "moral question re mushrooms" and for the life of me couldn't imagine what you could possibly do with a mushroom that was immoral! lol
well I've heard stories- about the "little blue liberty caps" that would definietly not fall in the morel OR moral categories...

Nootka
May. 18, 2011, 12:53 AM
I LOVE SHROOMS!!! Do those grow in FL? I have never heard of them. I need someone to send me a batch:yes:

TrueColours
May. 19, 2011, 10:29 PM
Yay!!! Found 3 more morels today while cutting grass ... unfortunately I ran over a 4th one ... :( ...

Belg
May. 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
Haven't had much luck so far finding any but planning on looking again today or tomorrow... its been so wet there has to be pounds of them bursting up from the ground...

Sonesta
May. 20, 2011, 10:49 AM
IMHO, the morel is the king of all mushrooms. The best tasting, most fabulous thing to come from the ground anywhere.

They don't grow down here so I actually order them and have them shipped here during season (currently at $44 per pound plus expensive shipping, but this is down considerably from last year's price of $62 per pound). Then I use the dried ones during off season.

My favorite recipe is to grill a steak and make a sauce for it by sauteeing chopped shallots and green onions and morels in a bit of butter and then adding a good red wine and reduce down. YUM!

boosma47
May. 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Yummmmm.... going right out now to hunt me some morels...all this rain has to be good for something special!

Louise
May. 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
Oh, I have a couple of these growing in my daylily bed. I let them be, and kept thinking I'd have to check and see what kind they were. They're a little past prime now, so I think I'll just let them be, and hope that their spores will give me even more nice fresh ones next year.