PDA

View Full Version : PVC Pipe Fence

Castlegate
May. 12, 2011, 11:51 AM
I am going to create attached runs off my 12x12 stalls....right now what will be the outside (permiter fencing) off stalls #1 and #4 is wood board fence.

I want something non-wood and non electric on the "interior" lines as it will be tight quarters...runs will be 12X48 with horses all adjacent to each other..

We were thinking about using 10 foot sections of 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe running through wood posts that are drilled for the pipe to slide through...

My hubby believes that if a horse were to get caught up in the fence for whatever reason the pipe would break so injuries would be minimal...

Is that true? If the pipe is run through the posts, would it be safe? We plan to put 4 rows or pipe...

2DogsFarm
May. 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
When PVC pipe breaks it shatters into pieces with sharp, jagged ends.

If you use the PVC as an outer covering - a sleeve - for wood poles that might help prevent the shattering on impact.

Why not run coated tensile wire or braided polywire through the holes?

MunchkinsMom
May. 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
I tried making gates out of PVC pipe, these were to be used mainly as a visual/physical barrier across the barn aisle doorways when I need to work on the barn without the horses coming in to pester me.

They didn't hold up very well, the sunlight breaks down PVC pipe pretty quickly, and the horses managed to break them just rubbing their butts on them (this is when the gate was tied open, up against the barn wall).

I personally would not do it, you will have to replace it all the time, and as others have said, when it does break it will leave sharp spear-like pieces.

Castlegate
May. 12, 2011, 12:22 PM
I was thinking about the PVC shattering......but this stuff looks pretty thick..I worry about braided polywire...dont think I have ever seen coasted tensile...

hundredacres
May. 12, 2011, 12:43 PM
PVC breaks down in the sun and becomes brittle and sharp when broken. I used to use PVC pipes as trot poles and left them in the arena for a couple year - I drove over one with the tractor (not a big one) and it broke like glass. I took them out and use landscaping timbers instead - I've seen people use those for runners across a top fence with no climb mesh below.

shortbusgeek
May. 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
Add me to the anti-PVC idea. You can do 1" to 2" electric strands pretty cheap. Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to also look into Centaur. It's pretty much all we use around our place - never have to replace a board like our neighbors and other farms around the area. :-)

660' / 48' = 13.75 sections

If you're doing up to 14 paddocks, you could use one 5" hot rail and then white / black lightning rows below. If you wanted to do them all in 5" hot rail, you could do 5 paddocks with 3 rows or 4 paddocks with 4 rows.

Castlegate
May. 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
We have Ramm fence 2" electric tape in all of our full size pastures...(it is hot)....I didnt want to use the tape in these small areas as they really respect the tape and wont go anywhere near it so....that would make their 12' wide areas more like 8' in theory...

make sense?

airhorse
May. 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
No way to the PVC, as others have stated it is dangerous when it breaks and is not UV protected.

2DogsFarm
May. 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about the PVC shattering......but this stuff looks pretty thick..I worry about braided polywire...dont think I have ever seen coasted tensile...

coated tensile:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.holmesfence.com/images/img_0003.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.holmesfence.com/HORSE_FENCE.php&usg=__qZGsBIPGK3HlKbLmVcJuaTop8_o=&h=1184&w=1768&sz=889&hl=en&start=3&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=fp5LolJUMpFU-M:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcoated%2Btensile%2Bwire%26hl%3Den%26b iw%3D750%26bih%3D517%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&ei=uTvMTbiYFKru0gGsz9XeBg

What's to worry about with braided wire?

Castlegate
May. 12, 2011, 04:51 PM
I just worry about the braided wire slicing into them??

2DogsFarm
May. 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
I just worry about the braided wire slicing into them??

I am talking about braided poly, not uncoated wire.
Google electrobraid, I believe it is shown the link I posted earlier.

I went with coated tensile wire just for that reason - if they run into it full/tilt boogie it may break, but it will not slice.

BasqueMom
May. 12, 2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, the PVC plumbing pipe has no UV protection. Not a good plan. That said,
Crooked Willow Farm in Colorado has some pens and stallion round pens made out of an exceptional round PVC or some type of plastic pipe. Their local supplier is no longer in business and they would never tell me who manufactured it other than it was made in Utah.

If you can find the pipe out of HDPE (high density polyethelyne), that might work. Outdoor play equipment is made of it along with a plank and board look
fence by a company called Wind River Fence. Really like the looks of their
product, plus the planks clip in so they can't be popped out.

These might work but the longest length is only 6-foot: http://www.powerflexfence.com/products/permanent-products/g2-post/

You might think about flexible rail type fencing. If there is going to be a lot of playing over the fence, whatever you use, it might be a good idea to electrify
it.

Bluey
May. 12, 2011, 09:43 PM
The safest material that will hold up for horses across each other in small runs is pipe panels.
Over time, those panels will work there and in other places if you change your runs and don't need them any more, or move and can take them with you.

Most anything other you will have to keep reparing it.

For small spaces like those runs, hot over the top of some kind of fencing is ok, but lower?
That doesn't give a horse much place to stand there and not get shocked.
I don't think that is fair to a horse.:no:

hundredacres
May. 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
^ Yes, not to mention just laying down could be trecherous. I like the pipe panel idea too. I've wanted runs like OP describes off 3 of my stalls but my husband balks at the cost considering panels with the mesh at the bottom (sold at Rural King). I have a friend who has them off her barn and she just used 2x4 top rails and no-climb. The boards are all chewed up though.

MunchkinsMom
May. 14, 2011, 09:40 PM
^ Yes, not to mention just laying down could be trecherous. I like the pipe panel idea too. I've wanted runs like OP describes off 3 of my stalls but my husband balks at the cost considering panels with the mesh at the bottom (sold at Rural King). I have a friend who has them off her barn and she just used 2x4 top rails and no-climb. The boards are all chewed up though.

You could install these on the top board, keeps the horses from chewing, and might even double as a butt scratcher:

http://www.horsecribbingspikes.com/

I used to board at a barn with runs off each stall, the runs were about 36 x 12 feet, at first it was 3 board fence, and then the owner tried square wooden posts with metal pipe rails. It held up okay, but I don't think it was installed correctly as some of the pipes popped out of the end posts over time.

BasqueMom
May. 15, 2011, 12:42 AM
Another thing, if you bore holes through the wood post, you breach the preservative barrier, allowing water in and shortening the life of the post. If you
do do pipe, put the lower's one closer together to keep a leg from getting caught and broken. The higher quality pipe panels have the lower horizontal pipes closer together to deter getting a leg caught.