PDA

View Full Version : Using the small arena for intro and training tests

danskbreeder
May. 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
Our local schooling show is using the small arena for both of these tests. It's not a space issue and to me logically the larger arena would make more sense for horses at this level. More room to stretch and to move. Comments?

SerenaGinger
May. 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
Our local schooling show is using the small arena for both of these tests. It's not a space issue and to me logically the larger arena would make more sense for horses at this level. More room to stretch and to move. Comments?

The other reason I have heard for using the small arena is so the tests go faster so they can schedule more riders or work around bad weather. Could that be the reasoning?

eventer_mi
May. 12, 2011, 11:22 AM
Yup, it's a timing thing. It's a little faster not to have to wait for the lower levels to go all the way around the arena, or all the across the diagonal, in a large arena. Most shows will do this because of scheduling. Also, if you have a lot of eventers at your dressage shows, the lower level eventing tests are also done in a small ring.

CHT
May. 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
If your intro tests are like our walk/trot tests, then I think they belong in the small ring in general; I find it easier to keep a young horse's attention in the small ring where the moves come up a bit faster and there is less room to build momentum, and the little kids on their ponies seem to handle it better as well.

Training tests seem to ride well either way, and if the change makes the day shorter then I would also be ok with it as long as I knew before hand.

Leprechaun
May. 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've always heard it was a time thing too. I hate the small ring!

Bogey2
May. 12, 2011, 01:30 PM

I agree...but that's because I had to get a 17.1 hand 4 year-old around the small arena at training level :eek:(I did not do the W/T stuff with him)

katie+tru
May. 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I've always heard it's timing. I think the dressage tests still say the average times per test for a small and standard arena. Tests in a standard size can take atleast a minute longer.

Janet
May. 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
I find it much easier to do those lower level tests in a small arena.

It is a lot easier to keep a green horse consistent, and on a straight line, for 40m rather than 60m.

Also, if I do an Intro test in a large arena, there is SOO MUCH TIME between movements that I am liable to forget where I am in the test.

DutchDressageQueen
May. 12, 2011, 05:54 PM
When I was riding at those levels, they also had smaller arenas, I really did not like it!

kinnip
May. 12, 2011, 05:58 PM
To each his own I guess. I don't show, but I love my small arena. I do most of my schooling in the corners, so it's nice to have them so close together. I get a little bored in a large court.

netg
May. 12, 2011, 06:19 PM
I managed to avoid all the shows where they changed to small arenas for training level, which was good with my horse. At 16.3hh with a big stride, the larger size allowed him more chance to settle in at each gait prior to transitions. Now that we're doing first, he doesn't settle as much throughout a ride because of lack of monotony.

That said, going to a smaller arena reduces monotony for judges and bystanders!

shawneeAcres
May. 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
With ALL that walking in Intro A I think small arena MUCH better. Prefer large arena for training however

merrygoround
May. 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
I find it much easier to do those lower level tests in a small arena.

It is a lot easier to keep a green horse consistent, and on a straight line, for 40m rather than 60m.

Also, if I do an Intro test in a large arena, there is SOO MUCH TIME between movements that I am liable to forget where I am in the test.

Forget? How about fall asleep!! :lol: :lol:

Equibrit
May. 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Man it's REALLY BORING doing those tests in a large arena.

mp
May. 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
I agree...but that's because I had to get a 17.1 hand 4 year-old around the small arena at training level :eek:(I did not do the W/T stuff with him)

My horse is only 14.3 and I still don't like doing TL in a small arena.

paulosey
May. 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
Wow, am I old. When I last competed, we did all the tests up to Medium level in the small ring (I bet most of you have never heard of Basic and Medium-Cdn). You really had to be up on your half halts, but I think it really helped to get the horse on your aides. Now that I have started "playing the game" again, I have to get used to the big ring. I don't even know all the letters for it! :)

chancellor2
May. 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
I scribed for a judge who had it in her contract that w-t tests MUST be ridden in a small arena. And thank god. There is so much walk they take FOREVER.

lorilu
May. 13, 2011, 07:37 PM
I think the only movements that are harder in a small arena are (1) the trot "wiggle" in TL3. It is MUCH easier to hit X and get back at K or F in the large arena. And, (2), coming down from the canter circle at E or B and then making a nice corner or up the CL is more difficult, as well. Less time to balance into a nice downward C-T.

But those are TL tests. IMO, Intro is not any different in a small arena.

L

oldernewbie
May. 15, 2011, 07:39 PM
Rode intro last year and thought the small arena was fine. Rode TL yesterday for the first time in a small arena and *hated* it. My timing was off and I really screwed up the circles - didn't make them big enough. We have a beautiful large indoor - guess I'll have to block it off to small arena size and practice in it before the next show.