PDA

View Full Version : time under saddle

colorfan
May. 12, 2011, 09:05 AM
I have a 4 coming 5yr old that I started last year. Last year I put about 24 rides on her over a period of 3 months.

This year I have been averaging 2/3 rides a week. When I ride on my own I a 10 min warm up, about 30 min of riding,(could be a bit more don't always monitor clock) and a 10 min cool down.
I will do some 20m circles, some 3 loop serpentines, mix it up with transitions and some leg yielding. One or two walk breaks in between.
At the end of the ride there is usually a light sweat on her neck but not dripping.
As the weather permits and the mud dries I have taken her for an hour walk, through bush and lots of hills so even tho it was all walk it was still a workout.

The coach I have wants to do mixed jumping lessons, more like a clinic.
So there are 3 riders and the lesson last an hour and half. Yes while the other two go we can stand or walk about.
I feel this is too long of a session, I am worried about her joints and causing shin splints.
I think a half hour private (which would not be solid jumping, lesson starts with poles, cross rails, ends with a couple of verticals and oxer) would be better.

Am I being too cautious?
There has not been any heat in her legs but she does have one rear that has a tendancy to swell, (chronic scratches)

Is there a reference for how much work and how much/how quickly to introduce for a horse?
Ideally I would ride 5/6x a week but so far have not been able to make that happen.

CZF
May. 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
An hour and a half under saddle would be mentally challenging for a really young horse, but your horse isn't really super young, maybe just green.

If you're doing a fair bit of walking and standing around, I don't think physically you are going to do any harm by riding for that long.

I think for a horse who's just building up it's fitness level, 30 minutes of actual work 3-4 days a week would be just fine.

I would judge it by the individual horse. If your horse is able to stay focused for that length of time, then I don't see any harm. If it's acting up or getting impatient, maybe try doing the shorter private lessons.

Leprechaun
May. 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
I certainly think you could ride 5 to 6 days per week just scale back the work a bit. 30-45 mins at a go but light warm up, work, hack around a bit...really relaxed. It also depends so much on their temperment.

colorfan
May. 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
ok thanks