PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Clarke

Equibrit
May. 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
President of Ground Jury for London 2012.
http://www.eqlife.co.uk/2011/bd-director-of-judging-awarded-2012-%E2%80%98hot-seat%E2%80%99/

cyndi
May. 11, 2011, 03:44 PM
In my eyes, he is a god! LOL! I audited one of his clinics in 2008. I learned SO much just listening to him. He is the total package -fabulous eye, spot-on 'fixes', wonderful empathy for horse and rider, brilliant wit. I loff him! I took five pages of notes and still refer back to them from time to time...
http://donerailfarm.posterous.com/8988570

Nojacketrequired
May. 11, 2011, 08:16 PM
I was lucky enough to be chosen to ride with him once and it was an amazing lesson that I will never forget and that I still reference, today.

A little anecdote: The TB I was riding was going to EXPLODE when I first got him in the ring and he saw the audience in the stands. I put him deep. WAY deep...Also posibly known as rolkur...in order to have some control until we warmed up and he settled. Mr. Clarke came in and I sort of apologised for the way I was riding. He said "Are you kidding? If the choice is rolkur or die, I say go ahead! Rule number one is that the rider must not die!" (Possibly not perfectly quoted, but you get the idea.

He was very funny and had some amazing turns of phrase. One was something like, "If you let him GO, he'll come back.", as my TB wanted to race off in the canter and we ended up in a fight every time. He was right. It took guts, but I asked for the canter and let go and after 1/2 a lap he slowed down and allowed me to take contact and do cool stuff...like steer:lol:.

NJR

caper
May. 14, 2011, 11:24 PM
This weekend is the second clinic I am auditing of Stephen Clarke's. Taking place in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Tomorrow is day 2. I find him so interesting and a wealth of information. He has a humours way of explaining things. I have come away with some good exercises to work on at home with my own horses.

horsefaerie
May. 15, 2011, 02:34 PM
I was lucky enough to take several private lessons with him decades ago when I was studying riding in England.

I don't know that he cared so much then if the rider died or not!

I wasn't "getting it" and I was riding a young arab cross. He removed the bridle and the stirrup leathers, handed me two whips and told me to ride a test in the indoor where there was at least one other lesson going on.

I was starting at X and thought if I could make the turn at C I might live to tell the tale. I actually did quite well including downward transitions and then no longer wanted the bridle or stirrups! Actually I found it harder to use what I had "gotten" with those things than without.

I sincerely wish we could get him here. He was an awesome instructor and a wonderful and accepting human being.

THose of you who can clinic with hum are VERRRRY lucky