PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Level through Grand Prix rider fitness

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 10, 2011, 11:46 PM
If you ride 2nd level through Grand Prix and basically only ride one or two horses per day, what do you do to stay fit? I am working 2nd level and now I need to keep up on my fitness. I have thought about joining a gym or pilates but I want to know what will get me the most "bang for the buck" when I do not have more horses to ride. TIA

Elegante E
May. 10, 2011, 11:57 PM
So is it stamina your need or building core strength? If you prefer staying home, stationary bikes aren't expensive and good for stamina and legs. Crunches and core exercises for the middle section. Add in some weights, and or resistance bands, for arms, shoulders, parts of the back . There is a book on Pilates for riders.

Many swear by pilates for riders as it hits all the major muscle groups. Joining a gym or class, or just doing it at home is a matter of what type of motivation you need.

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 11, 2011, 12:01 AM
I need a class to GO TO! If it is at home I will justify myself right out of doing it: BF's watching, not enough room, need to do laundry, etc etc etc. And heck, I was thinking stamina but one can never be too solid in the core. I'll take it all. Need to look for the book you are speaking of.

MelanieC
May. 11, 2011, 12:38 AM
If you have a gym nearby that has Les Mills classes (BodyPump, BodyCombat, etc.) check it out. My old gym at UCSF had those classes (it's a sort of franchise) -- the choreography was always fun, the music kicked ASS and the instructors were awesome. I used to go to BodyPump (low weight/high rep body sculpting) and BodyCombat (hybrid cardio-kickboxing type workout) like, four days a week and I was ridiculously fit. I haven't found anything I've liked nearly as much since and just my luck, there are no gyms with comparable classes around here.

I tried Pilates, it bored me to tears. It's like power yoga without the fun stuff or the super flexibility. I REALLY loved power yoga (Ashtanga and/or variants) but of course there are no classes like that around here either. Stupid Oregon.

These days I take the dogs running and do yoga videos. BO-ring.

KateKat
May. 11, 2011, 01:13 AM
If gyms bore you...check out Crossfit. I just started and I really recommend it if you're in a workout rut. You feel like youre gonna die, but it's short, sweet and very motivating. Plus when you see some of the people there who have been doing it for a little while...well, the results speak for themselves!

2tempe
May. 11, 2011, 07:50 AM
I joined a local gym and do one pilates class and one yoga class each week. TRY to repeat at home, but...It has definitely helped the core strength, which I needed, and also helped me be able to separate body parts as I'm doing things. Stamina is not a problem for me though I'm 50+ and currently doing 4th/psg schooling on said horse.

Kealit
May. 11, 2011, 08:07 AM
When I was riding second level, I was also on the high school cross country team and was therefore running 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day. My fitness was never really an issue then. But, and I'm not competing anymore, now that I do weights in addition to running 3x/week, I feel SO much more fit and in control of exactly where each part of my body is. I don't think overdoing it on the cardio is necessary as long as you aren't getting winded after a schooling session! Weights or some sort of resistance training is very important though. There is a class at my gym called TRX that uses bands from the ceiling and various exercises with those- I feel like something like that 2-3x/week would be quite sufficient! As far as flexibility goes, I've never been into those type of classes because I feel like I can get the same stretching benefit by working through the (ancient) yoga book that I got from my mom.

carolprudm
May. 11, 2011, 10:17 AM
Try Curves Smart, not your grandma's Curves. You can get a really good workout in a half hour and there is no lying to the computer.

Of course you can goof off, too but the little yellow light on the machine will know:winkgrin:

Big Spender
May. 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
I've had my young horse now for 4 years (I got him as a green broke 4 year old). I come from an eventing background and had taken a break to have a child and breed my mare too. I showed Training level the full first year I had him. We weren't fit, but it got better as I rode more often. I then decided that if I had to sit his trot and ask him for his full potential, I also needed to be stronger. I joined a gym in the winter and just started walking, some elliptical, some spin classes and core excercises. I noticed a difference by the spring when we came out First level and I had to sit the trot. Long story, short...I felt that something was missing. I started working with a nutritionist, lost 18% body fat, and was up to 100 push-ups a day. Last summer I needed another goal, so I started running. I am not looking to do a marathon or anything...ultimately I am a rider and don't want to get hurt running. I took 10 weeks to train for my first 5K last fall. I have now run 4-5k's with a new personal record time last weekend, a 4-mile race and a 1/4 marathon (6.55 miles). This morning I did some core excercies with a 6 lb. medicine ball, some push-ups, some squats and ran outside for about 20 minutes. I don't think you necessarily have to work with a trainer, but see what classes are available locally. Even walking 30 minutes a day is better than nothing. Good luck!!

GallantGesture
May. 11, 2011, 12:04 PM
I spend time on my exercise ball every day. The difference the core strength made in my seat convinced me that if I want to ride well, never give up the exercise ball! Sometimes I just sit on it for hours while I'm working on the computer, other times I do specific exercises or do a workout video. I also spend hours a day walking laps in the arena while I teach. The next thing I would like to add is running or biking to improve my cardio/stamina, and I probably could use a more balanced diet as well :)

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 11, 2011, 12:18 PM
I walk laps in the arena teaching too. I also play tennis once or twice a week (not like a pro, for fun and following the rules) but mostly I ride my horse (5-6 days a week) and maybe one more a couple of times a week. I feel strong but I tire easier than I feel I should, though, admittedly it is warm here with temps in the low 100's last week... that heat takes it out of me, even when I ride early.

I love the suggestions, keep them coming.

KatherineC
May. 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
I hired a personal trainer to come to my house twice a week. I work by myself the other days.

When I started I thought I needed to improve my core strength but found out that my legs were my weakest part. Probably from sitting at a desk for 20 years.

This has made a huge difference in my riding. I sit taller, leg hangs longer. An unexpected result is that it has helped me to isolate parts of my body. Like being able to move my lower leg without disrupting my seat.

I travel with my job and the gal has developed a set of exercises I can do in my hotel room so I don't miss days while away.

I really dislike exercising, but my trainer told me that I would not be able to put on the half halts need for PSG unless I improved my strength. On the days I work alone I find my self thinking......glass of wine or work out. I very much want the wine, but I guilt myself into the work out. I am not getting any younger!!

Horseymama
May. 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
I love to run. I put on my ipod and get lost in the music and just go and go. In the summer I run outside in the morning before it's hot, and in the winter, I run on an indoor track at a local gym. I can't get motivated to do the treadmill for some reason, lack of wind on my face, I think. I have done yoga classes, too, but I prefer to work out on my own.

MelanieC, I am in Central Oregon and we have tons and tons of Yoga classes here. Ditto when I lived in Portland. Are you in a really small town or something?

siegi b.
May. 13, 2011, 07:06 AM
Pilates and yoga classes! I do Ashtanga yoga three times a week and balance it out with one Pilates class. Really good for core strength, balance, and helping with "one-sidedness".

Besides, with the right teacher, I think yoga is very good for the mind as well....:yes:

n2dressage
May. 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
If gyms bore you...check out Crossfit. I just started and I really recommend it if you're in a workout rut. You feel like youre gonna die, but it's short, sweet and very motivating. Plus when you see some of the people there who have been doing it for a little while...well, the results speak for themselves!

Crossfit!!!!! Go to www.crossfit.com and you can find out more info and see if there's an affiliate in your area.

2tempe
May. 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
"On the days I work alone I find my self thinking......glass of wine or work out. I very much want the wine, but I guilt myself into the work out. I am not getting any younger!!"

Here's my theory: Work out and THEN the wine as a reward..................!

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 14, 2011, 02:14 AM
:) Thank you so much guys!!

siegi b.
May. 14, 2011, 06:53 AM
"On the days I work alone I find my self thinking......glass of wine or work out. I very much want the wine, but I guilt myself into the work out. I am not getting any younger!!"

Here's my theory: Work out and THEN the wine as a reward..................!

Truer words have seldom been spoken! :lol: