PDA

View Full Version : While digging- what is it???

manentail
May. 10, 2011, 08:39 PM
We were digging post holes today and about 3 feet down we hit something hollow sounding and metal. There are no tanks buried that I know of and it is nowhere near the house. The same thing happened every 8 feet for 4 different posts. The place is 90 years old, and the interstate runs next to it. Any ideas what this could be?

MistyBlue
May. 10, 2011, 08:45 PM
Old underground pipeline most likely. For what, who knows? But a quick check at town hall should confirm if there's any old pipelines running under your property. Could be an old waterline, but could be an old gas line too. Best to find out what it is/was and if it's still active or not.

philosoraptor
May. 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
I am assuming that you've already called Miss Utility, so we can rule out this being anything active?

I'm the nosy sort. I'd try to look down there with a flashlight. And if that didn't work, I'd pick a spot between post holes, and I'd dig an exploratory hole with my backhoe. Count be anything. Abandoned old pipe line. Chest of pirate gold. Access to the storm drain network. Some buried scrap metal. Could be anything!

BEARCAT
May. 10, 2011, 11:13 PM
Buried treasure??

nightsong
May. 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
Aren't some coffins made of metal?

manentail
May. 11, 2011, 08:52 AM
Aren't some coffins made of metal?

That's creepy. Would there be a way to find out what it is without actually digging up my new pasture?

hosspuller
May. 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
Are you in the flat lands? Farms have "Tile" to drain the fields. You might have found a line. Branch or trunk depending on the size

lindasp62
May. 11, 2011, 09:02 AM
I would suggest calling your utility companies first, but a concern for me would be, whatever it is, would it be contaminating my pasture? For that, I think you could call your AG extension office and have soil samples taken. Perhaps, they would shed some light, too if the utility company can't help.

manentail
May. 11, 2011, 09:06 AM
No, we live right next to a big valley. The place where we found this is flat but only for about 3 acres or so. Of course there wouldn't have been other houses around me back then either or the highway for that matter.
I'm thinking of going to the county records, or maybe the library and seeing if I can find out what the land was used for before, for clues.
As far as a trunk or treasure, that would either be one big ass box or be some OCD person burying more than one every 8 feet, seems unlikely.

GoForAGallop
May. 11, 2011, 09:53 AM
No, we live right next to a big valley. The place where we found this is flat but only for about 3 acres or so. Of course there wouldn't have been other houses around me back then either or the highway for that matter.
I'm thinking of going to the county records, or maybe the library and seeing if I can find out what the land was used for before, for clues.
As far as a trunk or treasure, that would either be one big ass box or be some OCD person burying more than one every 8 feet, seems unlikely.

Well, it is obviously the box car of a train, filled with treasure. :lol:

Personally, I would not have the patience for pawing through records. :) I would just call either the town hall and find someone to talk to me, or I would call the utilities company, who should be able to help you too.

BEARCAT
May. 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
A time capsule?
Or buried spaceship?

theoldgreymare
May. 11, 2011, 10:30 AM
Intriguing! Please let us know what it is if you ever find out.

Kestrel
May. 11, 2011, 08:09 PM
Rent a metal detector and send the kids ( or DH) out to figure out if it's a pipe or not. Then let them run amok looking for fun staff across the farm.

If it's a pipe, city hall or the county planning office probably has something on it. Check online and you may find the records you need.

Good luck! Let us know what you find!

Guin
May. 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sounds like some kind of a pipe or culvert. Definitely check with the town's utilities department. It would suck if you punched a hole in it and it turns out to be sewage or natural gas!

manesntails
May. 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
Sounds like it has to be an old fuel tank. If the place was farmed in the past, they might have burried a fuel tank that held diesel or they could have disposed of it by burrying it.

I found all kinds of things burried on my place. It used to be common practice to just big a hole and burry whatever trash you had. That was long before there were rules and regs to protect the environment.

sketcher
May. 11, 2011, 08:49 PM
Atlantis? :D

JanM
May. 11, 2011, 09:14 PM
You have hit the hull of the long buried mother ship of evil aliens, and the passengers will soon wake up and eliminate all of us. I wonder if the person who wrote the book about the world ending on the 21st meant that the ship you dug up would do this?

Remember, the end of the world is all your fault.

I agree with the idea of stopping the digging until you get someone out there to find out what it is. Nothing like finding out you hit a long buried, but still active water transmission line or something equally bad to hit.

sk_pacer
May. 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
You have hit the hull of the long buried mother ship of evil aliens, and the passengers will soon wake up and eliminate all of us.

Steven King already wrote about digging up a buried mother ship. Remember The Tommyknockers?

So, manentail, if you start going bald, losing your teeth and begin growing weird appendages in private places, it's the tommyknockers!!! :lol:

deltawave
May. 11, 2011, 09:53 PM
Drain tile?

draftdriver
May. 12, 2011, 10:06 AM
Do you live near Roswell? :D

ladybugred
May. 12, 2011, 10:14 AM
So, manentail, if you start going bald, losing your teeth and begin growing weird appendages in private places, it's the tommyknockers!!! :lol:

Is that what happened in the end?? Never could wade all the way through that stupid book!

I agree with mothership btw!

LBR

PS- "Stephen" not "Steven"

sk_pacer
May. 12, 2011, 10:49 AM
Is that what happened in the end?? Never could wade all the way through that stupid book!

I agree with mothership btw!

LBR

PS- "Stephen" not "Steven"

I know it is Stephen :o and I realised it too late, was too tired to sort it out.

I actually liked the book, but it is a dreadfully long read. There is far more to it than the digger going toothless, bald and weird looking, the ship affects people for quite a distance from the lady's dig. Anyway, there is a mini series called The Tommyknockers, starring Jimmy Smitz (sp) and it is pretty close to the book and far more palatable than the read for most people although it is just as frightening in places,

CatOnLap
May. 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
Is anyone at all concerned that we have not heard further from the OP?

(and does anyone else hear the twlight zone music playing? doo do doo do)

Grataan
May. 12, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm surprised everyone is saying "oh look online" or "look at city hall" why not just call 811 and have everything marked for free? It's actually against the law to dig without having called a locator service in many states.

tasia
May. 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
Steven King already wrote about digging up a buried mother ship. Remember The Tommyknockers :lol:

That's what I was thinking:yes: Or War of the Worlds.:eek:

CVPeg
May. 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
The deed to the property may hold a clue - see if there are Rights-of-Way (ROWs) mentioned in the deed - placed there by utility or other companies.

My neighbor has a right-of-way to use my spring, however my previous owner tore down the spring house. :(

In some rural areas there are huge underground utility pipelines for gas, etc. - but they should be mentioned in the deed. There may be several running side by side, i.e. every 8 feet? Be careful!

I hadn't heard of 811, but "digging" :D further, found this site w/ all the states' 811 info.

http://www.call811.com/state-specific.aspx

Crooked Horse
May. 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
Have the aliens captured the OP? :eek:

tasia
May. 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Have the aliens captured the OP? :eek:

Is this going to be like the chicken trapped in the oven thread:lol:

Guin
May. 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
I think it's the Tardis. :D

Tom King
May. 12, 2011, 09:41 PM
I think maybe the OP has been abducted!

manentail
May. 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
Nope I'm still here :D
I have not found anything yet but am checking around. So far nothing on the deed, and no one knows anything that I've talked to.
DH thinks it's a rock :no: I'd like to know what kind of rock makes a hollow metal sound.

stryder
May. 12, 2011, 10:27 PM
An old nuclear bomb shelter?

I'd guess old pipeline.

ladybugred
May. 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
If it is the Tardis and the Ninth Dr Who is inside, please send him my way, as he must have gotten lost on his way to my place;)

LBR

JanM
May. 13, 2011, 06:41 AM
I will not tell how I know this, but certain 'stolen' vehicles are actually buried to avoid detection, and collect insurance-and no it's never been me, and it's just a rumor. I wonder if it's a water or other pipeline from years ago to an old house that's long gone? Or some former outbuilding? The 'sounds hollow' part worries me. How deeply did they bury cisterns? That would be big, but I've usually seen them with an above ground portion and not totally buried.

And a strong possibility for me is an old abandoned fuel tank, and that would be a serious problem. I've seen older farms with fuel tanks for equipment very far from the house, and with very little above ground equipment.

manentail
May. 13, 2011, 07:51 AM
I have a cistern, it makes up my back porch and, sticks out of the ground about 3 ft.
My house was built in 1923 fyi.

mellsmom
May. 13, 2011, 10:10 AM
We have found more than one buried on a couple of our properties. Usually from the 20's or 30's.

CatOnLap
May. 13, 2011, 11:20 AM
Yes, we dug up a model T in my MIL's backyard in a city! when we went to dig the trench to carry electricity and water to the garage we were building. Too bad it was completely rusty and wrecked.

As to what kind of rock sounds hollow and metallic? We have basalt lava formations sticking up above the fields in some of our riding areas here and when the horses walk across the lava, it sounds hollow and metallic,(even in bare feet) I have no idea why, unless perhaps the rocks are actually hollow and metallic, but I don't think so...

foggybok
May. 13, 2011, 02:35 PM
Nope I'm still here :D
I have not found anything yet but am checking around. So far nothing on the deed, and no one knows anything that I've talked to.
DH thinks it's a rock :no: I'd like to know what kind of rock makes a hollow metal sound.

If you hit it 4 times already, how deep is it? Can you see in the hole? carefully clean it out enough to get a look?

I'd be worried about pipeline! I remember being worried when we put up fence at a friends. There was a gas pipeline through the middle of the pasture.....it was marked, so was never hit, but it made me nervous....

Louise
May. 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
Obviously the person who guessed that it was a rail car was correct, and, it's filled with all of the lost Confederate gold.

trubandloki
May. 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
Another vote to call whatever the utility marking service is in your area. (The 'call before you dig' line.)

tasia
May. 13, 2011, 02:46 PM

A heavy metal rock;) Sorry, I just couldn't help myself:D

I like the Tardis too:cool:

manentail
May. 19, 2011, 02:30 AM
What is the tool called that scientists use to see what is below the ground without actually digging it up? Some kind of scanner thingy.

We have poked at it and determined it is made of an alloy, not steel (such as a car) Everyone in my neighborhood thinks it's a grave.

Jumpin_Horses
May. 19, 2011, 08:13 AM
well, um... geesh!

either do something about it, or quit poking it, cover it up, and move on with your life then....

CatOnLap
May. 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
...before the zombies start roaming your farm!

Harryson
May. 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
Manentail you are talking about GPR or Ground Penetrating Radar which could be helpful in this instance or not. Not sure where you are, but at the very least it would give you the size of the anomaly. It is expensive, unless you have a local Grad student with access and wants to play.