PDA

View Full Version : Michael Baze found dead

keepthelegend
May. 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
Apparently Michael Baze has been found dead in his truck on the backside of Churchill Downs. Really sad, only 24.

ottb_dressage
May. 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
Oh no...what devastating news...my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

mroades
May. 10, 2011, 07:59 PM
oh damn.....

MightyBobbyMagee
May. 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
Source?

Leprechaun
May. 10, 2011, 09:16 PM
DRF. So sad. Way too young. Deepest sympathies to his family & close friends.

Texarkana
May. 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/churchill-downs-jockey-michael-baze-found-dead-stable-area

:( Terrible to hear.

Timex
May. 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
My condolences to his family and friends. Oh, damn, indeed. :(

Laurierace
May. 10, 2011, 10:13 PM
So much living left undone. Godspeed.

VirginiaBred
May. 10, 2011, 10:40 PM
Just read the news. RIP :(

Flashy Gray VA
May. 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
Wow ... I'm speechless ... unreal ... RIP and condolences to the family, what a terrible terrible shock. Horrible. :(

Calamber
May. 11, 2011, 12:00 AM
What a tragedy. So sad that he sat there practically the whole day while the track life spun around him. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Slewdledo
May. 11, 2011, 12:06 AM
Very sad and tragic. I believe his wife or SO is a COTH member.

Silvercrown90
May. 11, 2011, 02:30 AM
My condolences to Michael's family. RIP, Michael.

pnalley
May. 11, 2011, 08:45 AM
I saw that. Such a shame, he was so very young and had such a bright future ahead.

Condolences to the family

fordtraktor
May. 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
Deepest condolences to his family and friends. A great loss.

Glimmerglass
May. 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
A talented and productive rider - such a loss under odd circumstances. You have to wonder how much impact losing big rides effects a rider mentally. Michael Baze rode Nehro to his first (and only) win Feb. 21 at Oaklawn. Yet he didn't get the call to ride Nehro in the Kentucky Derby where the horse finished 2nd. That has to eat away at a rider, even a young one.

fordtraktor
May. 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
I think it would be prudent and kind to refrain from such speculation at this time, Glimmerglass.

Rockfish
May. 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
so sad

Equibrit
May. 11, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/05/11/general-rac-jockey-death_8461831.html

Somermist
May. 11, 2011, 04:27 PM
RIP. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Xctrygirl
May. 11, 2011, 04:54 PM
I actually think Glimmer's comments about how not getting the big ride affects the jockey colony is especially important to talk about.

I know we're not saying this directly, but depression is a temporary disease with some very permanent consequences. Always saying "this isn't the time to talk about it" will in fact keep it from gaining the public attention it has long deserved.

Too many people have watched helpless as a friend, family member or co worker has 'changed' in little ways. And not known how or what to do.

I think it's very possible that the racing socitey and all it's lack of transparency has further made it hard for people to feel like they can say something to a "public figure" like a jockey. Trainers are very quiet about what goes on in the barns, owners are afraid of saying too much about what the horses are doing or aiming for, and nearly every jock I know believes in racing luck & bad karma. And God forbid you anger either. How else do you explain a car running in the barn area with him in it but never investigated by security or anyone from training hours through til 4:30pm???? (This is the story on the wires)

You have to wonder if the Nehro thing, combined with the court date tomorrow and maybe just a series of bad days, races etc may have been too much for Mr. Baze. I hope this isn't true... but if we talk about being upfront and honest and telling someone who seems "off" that you're there if they want to talk or in some other way showing your support, how is that a bad thing?????

I'm sorry for the sensitive types but lets try to find a positive in this tragic event. Even if it doesn't apply to this situation.... take a second and google the signs of depression and what you can best do to help.

~Emily

Lynnwood
May. 11, 2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62984/baze-autopsy-reports-inconclusive

Sounds like they are almost expecting to find narcotics. Very much a same hope that time affords those that knew or loved him come amount of comfort and relief.

Texarkana
May. 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
A side note on this tragic subject that irritated me:

I was driving to work this morning and the local radio show I listen to had this headline in their national news rundown. But... they reported, and I quote:

"The jockey who finished 2nd in the Kentucky Derby was found dead in his vehicle. Foul play is being investigated."

That was all that was said about the subject, except the host making a comment how it was an exciting murder mystery. *rolls eyes*

I can sort of understand how they made the mistake, but sheesh, aren't news broadcasters paid to fact check this stuff?

Glimmerglass
May. 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
DRF update 5-11-2011 (http://www.drf.com/news/michael-baze-autopsy-inconclusive-jockey-found-dead-was-facing-cocaine-charge)

Baze also had experienced legal troubles involving alcohol, most notably a drunk-driving arrest in Carlsbad, Calif., just hours after he posted the only Grade 1 victory of his career aboard Mi Sueno in the 2009 Del Mar Debutante for trainer Eric Guillot.

“We were really close,” said Guillot, 48. “I treated him like a son,”

Guillot said the two met for dinner last fall in Louisville and that he was concerned Baze was battling alcoholism and depression.

“It seems he never felt where he belonged in this world,” said Guillot. “He was a silent talent. He’d be way up there, leading rider and couldn’t be stopped, or at the bottom and couldn’t win a race. He got in these funks of depression and couldn’t get out of the hole. It’s a sad day.”

As I said, and this applies to ALL jocks, it has to be difficult to deal with so many pressures, highs and lows, non stop. No jockey can be a hero everyday ... "fans" who yell at a jockey for not winning a race and that types of stuff just are daily cuts. Considering he was the leading rider at Arlington Park last summer (2010) and 4th in wins at the just ended Oaklawn meet he enjoyed far more success then most jocks.

Besides his father, who lives in New Mexico, Baze also is survived by his mother, Teri Gibson, and one brother and one sister. Baze was in the process of getting divorced from his wife, Kelly.

Gibson said Wednesday from the Seattle area that her son would be cremated in Kentucky, with the ashes to be transported to Auburn, Wash. A memorial service has been tentatively planned for May 24 at Emerald Downs in Auburn, she added.

MintHillFarm
May. 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
Xctrygirl: "I actually think Glimmer's comments about how not getting the big ride affects the jockey colony is especially important to talk about".

I just think this isn't the thread or the timing to do so.

My condolences and deepest sympathy to the Baze family and his friends.

BabyGreen
May. 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
The Baze family are Mormons, which makes the possibility of a drug problem even more tragic. It's very difficult for a Mormon to admit to drug use and to try and get help.

Laurierace
May. 11, 2011, 10:06 PM
A side note on this tragic subject that irritated me:

I was driving to work this morning and the local radio show I listen to had this headline in their national news rundown. But... they reported, and I quote:

"The jockey who finished 2nd in the Kentucky Derby was found dead in his vehicle. Foul play is being investigated."

That was all that was said about the subject, except the host making a comment how it was an exciting murder mystery. *rolls eyes*

I can sort of understand how they made the mistake, but sheesh, aren't news broadcasters paid to fact check this stuff?

I heard it here in MD too. I didn't hear the foul play part but definitely the second place finish in the derby. I almost wish that had been true.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 4, 2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/michael-baze-died-accidental-overdose

The death of jockey Michael Baze was caused by an accidental overdose involving cocaine and prescription medication, according Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Jim Wesley.