PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and heartworm prevention: Heartgard vs. Interceptor

Iride
May. 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
We have a 2 year old black lab who has been on Heartgard since we got her as a puppy.

I overheard someone at the barn say that Interceptor is a better choice for dogs that live/hang around farms because it targets whipworms while Heartgard does not.

Are whipworms specifically a farm problem? Also, if it matters, this dog lives in the Northeast (NY area).

Do we need to think about switching??

Grataan
May. 11, 2011, 10:41 AM
Is your dog on HeartGard or HeartGard+?

If you and your DVM are happy with his current HWP, no need to switch unless you are in a heavy exposure area.

I'd still do a yearly or twice yearly fecal with his checkups.

Mine are all on Trifexis now (spinosad/milbemycin) so I only have to remember to give them one thing a month. Much more convenient and cheaper than doing two things monthly.

Nezzy
May. 11, 2011, 04:43 PM
this is true. Interceptor is my drug of choice for my pups.

Iride
May. 11, 2011, 05:48 PM
He's been on Heartgard, not Heartgard Plus. Should he be getting Heartgard Plus if we don't switch to Interceptor?

If it matters he gets Frontline Plus for fleas/ticks.

tpup
May. 14, 2011, 05:51 AM
My vet now recommends Interceptor so we switched over. My golden had whipworms years ago and she was really sick from them, so I'm glad it covers that.

Dry Clean Only
May. 14, 2011, 07:56 AM
My clinic switched to Interceptor due to the fact that it also prevents whips.

Whipworm eggs are smaller and more likely to be missed in a fecal sample, and also persist in the environment for years. If you dog has ever had them they should also be on Interceptor unless you dig down a couple feet and replace the soil where they had been pooping.

IME dogs with whips also seem more likely to have GI symptoms like bloody diarrhea then the usual roundworms and hookworms that HG treats.

The prices are comparable and unless your dog is super picky they will take it easily.

I don't like Merial especially since they used Caesar Milan in one if their HG promotions. Blech!

MeghanDACVA
May. 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
If your area has a whipworm problem, then Interceptor is the better choice. If it doesn't, then either is fine.

Routine fecals should tell you whether or not whips are a problem.