PDA

View Full Version : Oh my gosh, trail damage

pj
May. 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just came in from Roosevelt Park in Pine Mt. Ga. It's unreal the damage the tornado did.
The lake trail is literally gone..like in the lake and there are trees piled everywhere.
No way to even get to the lake.

The creek trail is passable but Jeff has already done a lot of work on it. There are still some "iffy" places but what you can't get through you can get around. They've done a new loop for the part that is just hopeless.

We didn't check out the outlook, cowboy or coyote trails but we're told those are okay.

We rode the paved road from the creek trail to the big campground and all the way our mouths hung open. Trees piled EVERYWHERE on both sides of the road.
It looked as if huge bombs had been set off everywhere.

Jeff and Leasa are planning on making a new lake trail and they can use all the help on that and some other things that they can get.

If you want to help give them a call I know they would appreciate anything that you could do.
I can't use a chain saw (I'd probably cut my leg off) but I sure can drag limbs and stuff so I'll be there some days working, too.

Painted Horse
May. 10, 2011, 07:02 PM
It's something we deal with each spring/early summer in the wilderness areas. Heavy snow, avalanches, micro burst all knock down trees.

I've spent many an day packing a chain saw on a pack horse so I can saw out the blowndowns that block the trail. Often in our area with steep mountainsides, You either clear the trail or turn around and go back, There is no going around.

It's just part of nature, something that we have to deal.
It's a great idea to get a group together and go have a fun day clearing the mess up.

pj
May. 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
LOL Painted Horse, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
What this tornado left is so beyond what a person with a chain saw (or a dozen or a bunch more with chain saws) could handle.

The tornado, appx. 3/4 of a mile wide went through heavy forest and took the lake trail. There are so many trees down you can't even walk out in it. It looks like atomic bombs went off in there. Where there was beautiful thick forest there is nothing but piles of trees.

We are blessed that other trails escaped safely (can you imagine a trail escaping? :lol:) and others can be fixed.

I'm doubting very seriously that your winter storm weather compares to this tornado.

AlfalfaGirl
May. 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
Damage by severe storms is an amazing site. I live where Hurricanes Rita and Ike ran through. Trees are still down in the forests on the trails we ride. It has created all kinds of obstacles that help make our trail horses better. At our local riding park, the back route was closed off until March when the head of our riding group went out there and dragged it down with a log and used a chain saw to cut down trees - we were thrilled as the city said it would be a month are more before they got out there!

I can well imagine though, that an avalanche would do some serious damage that would look like a tornado went through. Weather can wreak havoc on the trees! Here is a link to what it can look like after an avalanche
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uNV-BS4Zdb4/S_P34Yim2mI/AAAAAAAAFBs/ZWOYpysHZrE/s1600/Debris%2Bupstream.jpg&imgrefurl=http://whitemountainsojourn.blogspot.com/2010/05/avalanche-track-in-ammonoosuc-ravine-5.html&usg=__byz9GPNNdQ8IcLk5S_8pXm4flNc=&h=900&w=1200&sz=331&hl=en&start=0&sig2=geqxKsqizWj1tL3ICe3Pog&zoom=1&tbnid=nG3Z_ZwTiQJRgM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=149&ei=5rLKTeKyAcmWtwft1bzwBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddamage%2Bto%2Btrees%2Bby%2Ban%2Bavala nche%2Bimages%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DqPX%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D603%26tbm%3Disch% 26prmd%3Divnsb&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=313&page=1&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:0&tx=85&ty=86

It will take a while to clear the trees so the trails are nice again or you make have to make alternate routes around the fall out areas. That is what makes it trail riding.

pj
May. 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
The only hope that I see of clearing any ground through there is bull dozers pushing the trees up into huge pile after pile. I expect (maybe) that is what the state will eventually do. They did do that already in the meadow which gave us a way through but that area isn't nearly as large as the lake area.
:( It wouldn't be so bad if trees weren't just piled dozens on top of each other over every single ft.

The lake trail isn't my favorite trail. It's pretty flat and I much prefer the mountain trails but it was the fav. of many people who don't feel that they or their horses can handle the mountain so it's just ..sad.

Painted Horse
May. 11, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm not suggesting that a tornado does not create a serious clean up problem. My comment is that in each area we have problems that need to be cleaned up after. It's just part of nature. It's something that we as individual and clubs have to pitch in and go to work if we want to save our favorite trail. Whether it is a tornado in Georgia or the Mississippi flooding it's banks or an avalanche or microburst in Utah

I've seen avalanches come down mountain side easily a quarter mile wide and they lay down every tree like pick up sticks. Often my trails are in wilderness area where we can't bring in any machinery. Even chain saws are prohibited, So we use axes and hand saws to clear the trails.
This group of trees was blown down by a micro burst. pretty much knocked down every tree for 300 yards in all directions.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2009/LimeKiln7.jpg

This was a 7 mile long road that a flash flood destroyed. It's behind the wilderness boundry now. So the road will never be fixed, because we can't take a motorized or wheeled machine in.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2008/Cow%20Hollow/100_0016.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2008/Cow%20Hollow/100_0020.jpg

The best we can do is take shovels and picks in and make a trail through what used to be a road. There were places where I had 8 foot tall banks that I had to build new steps up and over to get the horses over the new ledges the flash flood created.

pj
May. 11, 2011, 06:15 PM
Next time I get to Roosevelt I'll get some pictures and show you what I'm talking about...maybe next week.

Painted Horse
May. 11, 2011, 06:26 PM
Love to see your photos. It's got to really be impressive to see everrything for 3/4 of mile width knock flat. Having lived in Georgia, I've seen what a tornado can do. You have very thick forest, Lots of trees to get knocked down. I know that you will have a mess of trees strewn like pick up sticks.

With the current cut backs in budgeting, the forest service and BLM just don't have money to go fix trails. So we can let them disappear because a storm messed them up, or gather our friends and go fix them.

It's just what we humans do.

cowboymom
May. 11, 2011, 07:00 PM
We rode through a section of forest last year that had had an avalanche the year before. Thick high country forest, lodgepole, and the entire drainage had been flattened. BCH had been through and cut the trail back out and it was like riding through a lumberyard. Nothing but down trees, flat down trees all the same direction, and the trail cut through like a tunnel. I was on eye level with dead fall while riding through it. The dogs would jump the trail and be jumping over the backs of the horses as they went! It was some serious deadfall. We always have a hatchet and saw on the outside of the packs where they can be easily reached.

I don't doubt there are huge deadfall problems in GA, certainly. They will get logging equipment in there and haul off what can be salvaged and then they'll build slash piles and burn those and then it will be a matter of waiting for recovery on a new landscape.

I have millions of other trails to go on if I want to avoid that avalanche area but I know in GA places to ride are much more limited than here.

percheron
May. 12, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thank you for the update on FDR. I was thinking of riding there in the next few weeks. Love the lake trail myself sorry to hear of its loss. How did McIntosh fair?
We had very little damage here. It was the Ice Storm on 2005. That hurt us that time.

pj
May. 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the update on FDR. I was thinking of riding there in the next few weeks. Love the lake trail myself sorry to hear of its loss. How did McIntosh fair?
We had very little damage here. It was the Ice Storm on 2005. That hurt us that time.
You can still ride all the trails at FDR except the lake trail.

Haven't been to Mcintosh but we did call them and they said the trails were undamaged. Probably head there myself Monday..it's supposed to be about seventy four degrees. GREAT riding weather!!

I'm glad you didn't have much damage, we didn't here at the farm either.

spotnnotfarm
May. 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
McIntosh is fine. I rode there last weekend and did not have or see any issues. Sad to hear about FDR.

percheron
May. 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Glad to hear that McIntosh is fine. My teenage son is going to do the ACTHA ride on the 4th. He just started riding again out of the blue in March after quitting
5 yrs ago when he was 9. Need a place to go on an outing before hand.

pnalley
May. 14, 2011, 07:13 AM
Daucett is fine. Trails are in the best shape I have seen them.

1099 has a sign that says the trails are closed due to damage, my friend rode across the road and some on the regular trails & saw no damage.

Anyone been to Boundary Waters or Cochran Mill? I bet they are OK as the damage was down toward Spalding, Lamar & Pine Mt.

spotnnotfarm
May. 16, 2011, 08:16 AM
Do not know about Cochran Mill but Boundary is fine.

Raleigh's Mom
May. 18, 2011, 07:05 AM
Cochran Mill is fine. Although, the trails at CM are not maintained and they just don't seem to get used as much as they used to. So, they are not in the best shape. I still love riding there, though!

pnalley
May. 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
I haven't been to Cochran Mill in 15+ years, the trails were not maintained then. We always enjoyed it though

Anyone been to Concord Church? I'll see what I can find out about Salter's but I think it is OK too.