PDA

View Full Version : Trailering vs Riding from Home

lawndart
May. 10, 2011, 11:07 AM
We trailered out to the State Park last week, had a fabulous time despite getting seriously lost :winkgrin: My mare Willow was super, as always.

Yesterday, rode a different mare, from home. I rode this mare, Quinn on a Trailer ride 10 days ago, she was super. Yesterday, not so much :eek: She is not a spooky horse in general, but Oh My Goodness!! We spooked at a round bale (which she could see from her pasture) a squirrel, a bird, and the other horse farting :confused: This is a horse she is pastured with ALL the time. On the way home she was very forward, and spooked at brush piles, wet spots, rocks, all things she has had no trouble with in the past :( I made her go back and forth by these things, she would touch them, go past, thru, or over them after the first time. It certainly made for an interesting ride :eek:

I'm not complaining, or looking for training advice, just wondering if everyone else has this issue. Are your horses better at home, or out in the big bad world?

baylady7
May. 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
many times if they are barn sour they are worse at home, especially when made to venture out solo.

katarine
May. 10, 2011, 12:00 PM
Worse at home. Familiarity breeds contempt for the very IDEA you would ride them ;)

My horses school better at shows, too: The combo of their slight insecurity/need for me + my inability to hurry it up mentally so I can get back to the chores I feel I'm putting off= better ride.

PRS
May. 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
My horse is worse at home. He hates leaving his pasturemates. If I trailer him off to ride with strangers he is so much better. It's almost like when we're away I'm his one and only. When we're at home I'm less than chopped liver, he'd rather be with his pasturemates.

Bank of Dad
May. 10, 2011, 03:15 PM
Definately worse at home. My current horse has only been here a few months, so she doesn't have the trails memorized, she is still way better when I trailer out.

pj
May. 10, 2011, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=katarine;5598392]Worse at home. Familiarity breeds contempt for the very IDEA you would ride them ;)

QUOTE]
:D THIS!!

My mare is not herd bound at all but she thinks it's the most stupid idea in the world to RIDE from home! When you're home you're supposed to be grazing, dozing in the shade or whatever. Why would you want to leave?

oldpony66
May. 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
hey there Lawndart! What state park did you go to?

Ours are usually pretty decent at home or away, but I've got to agree that the issue with leaving barn mates can sometimes make the first few hundred yards of our rides a little interesting. Having three and usually only riding two means someone always gets left behind, and they are generally quite unhappy about it! Otherwise I've never noticed much of a difference once you get past hearing distance of the sad one left behind.

2Jakes
May. 10, 2011, 04:59 PM
We ride from home almost every day, alone and with company, so all the horses are pretty used to going on "local" rides. That said, they are still better away from home.

In the case of my old horse, he was seriously neophobic. *Anything* new or different on a familiar trail was noticed and reacted to. Even tiny little things like a fallen branch...a coke can...a plastic cup...a new anthill...a rock washed by rain...UGH...all those and more :eek::eek::eek:. He got much better over time and now he looks but he doesn't get scared.

Trails away from home are all new so nothing is scary.

Thankfully my new boy doesn't seem to react to much of anything. He sees the new things, quickly evaluates them, decides "no big deal" and moves on. It's so wonderful!

Beverley
May. 10, 2011, 05:02 PM
Riding 'from the trailer' whether trail riding or foxhunting they are good as gold (knock wood). And they 'do' know where the trailer is parked.

But- in my experience - if you're somewhere for a few days, and they have a home away from home, whether stall or paddock or pasture, well, then, yeah, get-home-itis can apply if you ride from that place.

Oh, let me add one if you want to have some fun. Trailer them to a nearby trailhead, to access the system you might normally access from home. Sometimes it befuddles them, in a good way. Or, one place I ride, sometimes I park at the trailhead 'other than' where I usually park- so when you go by the more-frequently-parked-at trailhead, horse scratches head and says, hmmm, why isn't the trailer here?

lawndart
May. 10, 2011, 06:04 PM
hey there Lawndart! What state park did you go to?

R.B. Winter A/K/A Halfway Dam. We parked at Livonia. Nice trails there, no underwear this time :lol:

Glad to hear so many others have the same 'issues' with riding from home.

Mine are not barn sour, but they, like pj and Katerine said, prefer to STAY home. They just heave these sighs, like they are indulging me...

BigHorseLittleHorse
May. 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
In the case of my old horse, he was seriously neophobic. *Anything* new or different on a familiar trail was noticed and reacted to. Even tiny little things like a fallen branch...a coke can...a plastic cup...a new anthill...a rock washed by rain...UGH...all those and more :eek::eek::eek:.

This. My horse is much better away from home because he has no concept of what the trail is "supposed" to look like. On the home trails, in addition to spooking at things that weren't there last time, he remembers what he spooked at the last time, and the time before, and if it's still there, he's anticipating spooking at it again before it even comes into sight. Our rides are often a mind game of how far ahead I can think in order to plan a distraction such as leg-yield or counter-bend.

Arrows Endure
May. 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
My horse loves riding away from home, because it means we won't do ring work. He perks his ears and strides right out. However, since he was four months old, I've been hand walking him away from the house. When he was old enough, we ground drove away from home, all by himself. So we don't have too many problems. He is a tad spookier if he's by himself as opposed to with friends, but that's pretty normal.

I hate herd bound horses, had one at home that I spent months retraining so he didn't have a total conniption fit whenever he left the immediate barn yard area. He was such a pain, that I swore I'd never have another. Poor Merlin didn't have a chance....

wylde sage
May. 10, 2011, 10:53 PM
Rode my "coiled spring" of a mare away from home alone today. Lovely dressage horse she became, quite animated and darn near a passage at times! Not bad for an overweight QH...

Hauling with a friend out to new areas, she has become good as gold.Which is nice, especially since she was only used as a broodie most of her life. :)