PDA

View Full Version : Is this bit legal?

mackandblues
May. 9, 2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.bitandbridleshop.com/flexi-jointed-peanut-mouth-bit.html?zenid=d0dak6o7nfgi78gdqitih5hef7

the pictures of legal bits for dressage confuse me so I figured I'd ask my trainer and y'all for help. Thanks so much.

Janet
May. 9, 2011, 05:08 PM
The crucial question is- does the center piece rotate?

If it rotates, it is not legal.

If it doesn't rotate, it looks legal to me.

DancingDraft
May. 9, 2011, 09:56 PM
If it rotates, it is not legal.

Anyone know the rationale behind this ruling?

Equus
May. 9, 2011, 10:28 PM
Anyone know the rationale behind this ruling?

Would like to know this too. In the rulebook it says rotating mouth piece is legal. Is there a difference versus mouthpiece and middle piece?

Janet
May. 10, 2011, 11:15 AM
Would like to know this too. In the rulebook it says rotating mouth piece is legal. Is there a difference versus mouthpiece and middle piece?
What they call a "rotating mouthpiece" is more like a hinge- it allows the left and right rings to turn independently. It is not something the horse can "roll" with his tongue.

Anything the horse can roll with his tongue is considered a "roller", and is banned for dressage- except one specific bit which is allowed only in "High Performance" classes in straight dressage. (For some reason, that specific bit is allowed at all levels of eventing dressage-- but nothing else that rolls).

As well as the rule book, you should look at the Dressage Attire and Equipment Booklet
http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsPubs/DressageEquipmentBooklet.pdf
which has photographs (on the last few pages) as well as the sketches whihc are sometimes hard to interpret.

As to WHY rollers are not allowed- that I do not know.

Equus
May. 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
Interesting, I've been showing with a bit that's not "legal" :) It's that double jointed KK bit with the little roller disk in the middle. I don't understand, it's supposed to be a very friendly bit?? And by the way, have been bit checked many times and no one has ever said anything about it.. Am confused now..

mackandblues
May. 10, 2011, 03:24 PM
But under the permitted snaffle section it says a snaffle with a rotating center is legal.

Janet
May. 10, 2011, 03:46 PM
But under the permitted snaffle section it says a snaffle with a rotating center is legal.
The wording is crucial-

The "rotating middle piece" is ONLY legal for "High performance" classes, and only THAT ONE bit- not other bits with "rotating middle piece".

The "rotating mouthpice" is the one that works like a hinge, not a roller. It is legal for all levels of dressage.

I can't find anywhere that it says "rotating center".

I agree the wording ("rotating middle piece", "rotating mouthpiece" ) is confusing and ambiguous. But look at the picture in the booklet.