PDA

View Full Version : Boarding School for 8th Grader with Equestrian Program

funnygirl
May. 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for a boarding school that takes 8th graders? It must have a great riding program (rider currently competes at top shows) where the students can bring their own horse. Location not important.

HCF
May. 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
A quick Google search of Equestrian boarding schools brought up this site. Lots that take 8th graders. Looks like a good place to start anyway, good luck!

http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/boarding_schools_sports/sport/34

steiny07977
May. 9, 2011, 03:24 PM
Andrews Osborne Academy in Ohio.

http://www.andrewsosborne.org/Equestrian.php

I was interested in going there a number of years ago and I'm pretty sure they allow you to board your horse.

I'dRatherBRiding
May. 9, 2011, 03:58 PM
Linden Hall in Lititz, PA accepts 8th graders, and I know many a horsey daughter that would kill to go there. I currently live in Lititz, and it really is a lovely atmosphere. I have to admit though, while the education is top notch, the riding as I have witnessed at their schooling shows is not quite up to the same level. It will however give your daughter a chance to shine if she is already competing at the top levels!

MHM
May. 9, 2011, 04:02 PM
I know a couple of girls who went to Andrews in Ohio. They were able to bring their own horses, and both got into excellent schools from there. The horse facility is beautiful, and as I recall, the school was good about working with them on scheduling when they were away for shows. They also hold several USEF shows right there.

That was a few years ago.

Hunter_Lady
May. 9, 2011, 04:05 PM
Queen Margaret's School in British Columbia, Canada.

http://www.qms.bc.ca/

Beautiful facility

KayPink
May. 9, 2011, 04:06 PM
Garrison Forest School outside of Baltimore, MD has a phenomenal barn and riding facility and they have boarding for 8th graders (and their horses!). My sister went to school there - I would highly recommend it!

http://www.gfs.org/athletics/riding/index.aspx

joiedevie99
May. 9, 2011, 04:06 PM
Andrews, Stonleigh-Burnham, Oldfields - every other one I can think of doesn't take younger than 9th grade.

Ride'emCO
May. 9, 2011, 04:12 PM
Andrews, Stonleigh-Burnham, Oldfields - every other one I can think of doesn't take younger than 9th grade.

I went to Stoneleigh and it has a fantastic riding program. Mina Payne Williams is the director of the riding program and has been there forever - she was actually a student at SBS herself.

Bill Ivey (the middle school dean) and his wife were my hall parents in my 9th grade year, and they are wonderful people. :yes:

Equibrit
May. 9, 2011, 04:37 PM
Location no object ? This is about as good as it gets; http://www.millfieldschool.com/sport/riding/index.htm

bubbles1234
May. 9, 2011, 04:40 PM
I don't know exactly what grades are accepted, but I know the Grier school in tyrone, pa is a boarding school, has a riding program, and allows personal horses. I have sold 2 of my horses to students there and they look excellent!

DNB
May. 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
I went to Oldfields School in Glencoe, MD. I strongly suggest looking at OS! Good academics and a fantastic riding program.

Canaqua
May. 9, 2011, 04:54 PM
Dana Hall in Wellesley, MA. Ethel Walker in CT.

Guin
May. 9, 2011, 05:23 PM
Dana Hall in Wellesley, MA. Ethel Walker in CT.

Dana does NOT have boarding for 8th graders, and I don't think Ethel Walker does, either.

dghunter
May. 9, 2011, 05:25 PM
Andrews Osborne Academy in Ohio.

http://www.andrewsosborne.org/Equestrian.php

I was interested in going there a number of years ago and I'm pretty sure they allow you to board your horse.

Another vote for Andrews! I went to summer camp there and have shown there. Beautiful facility!

Tackpud
May. 9, 2011, 05:31 PM
Andrews
Garrison Forrest
Stonleigh-Burnham

All have excellent riding programs. They would be my top choices for an 8th grader. Most of them will let a strong competitive rider continue to show while a student.

foreverdreaming
May. 9, 2011, 06:07 PM
I wish I could give a personal account of this school, but for now it is my dream to go there! I doubt it will happen by the time I graduate Highschool.

Foxcroft School, Middleburg VA :)

Middleburg is a FABULOUS horsey-area. My family has gone there on the weekends, and we have driven past the school a few times. It is GORGEOUS!!!
Also, their website has some beautiful pictures of the facilities. I know a few girls who have gone there(it's an all-girls school), and they seem to love it. I would highly recommend visiting the area, whether you decide to attend or not. It's the center of horse-country :yes:

I'm pretty sure it's only for grades 9-12 though. I may be wrong.

foxcroft.org

horseluver1
May. 9, 2011, 08:39 PM
Grier School in Tyrone, Pa.

TwistofRed289
May. 9, 2011, 09:41 PM
I went to Andrews and loved it :) PM me if you have any questions.

Ray
May. 10, 2011, 05:45 AM
I went to Stoneleigh and it has a fantastic riding program. Mina Payne Williams is the director of the riding program and has been there forever - she was actually a student at SBS herself......:

a rider at our barn went to Stoneleigh and since we live in MA, we go to shows there. Mina seems like an excellent trainer; her students are very good AND seem like they are having a blast. I am plotting to get my niece to SBS ;)

galman
May. 10, 2011, 07:14 AM
Sent you a PM

Leprechaun
May. 10, 2011, 07:22 AM
I had a number of friends that went to Stoneleigh and loved it.

ElizabethL
May. 10, 2011, 07:51 AM
My daughter is in 8th grade at Garrison Forest and she has a number of friends who are boarders. PM me for details. I can highly recommend the school!

dani0303
May. 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Heard wonderful things about Chatham Hall in Virginia
http://www.chathamhall.org/

Lives2Jump
May. 10, 2011, 10:18 AM
Heard wonderful things about Chatham Hall in Virginia
http://www.chathamhall.org/

The director of riding is leaving Chatham at the end of the school year. And the riding program is going down the tubes.
Feel free to PM me if you need more details. Plus the school is in the middle of nowhere, and unless you are a hermit crab, I wouldn't send my kids there.

AliCat518
May. 10, 2011, 10:28 AM
Second vote for either Linden Hall (PA) or Grier (PA).

My cousins went to Linden Hall and I got to tour the place with them. I wanted to attend after seeing the barns and facilities! It looked like a great program. (Though that was 12ish years ago...)

chunky munky
May. 10, 2011, 11:55 AM
The director of riding is leaving Chatham at the end of the school year. And the riding program is going down the tubes.
Feel free to PM me if you need more details. Plus the school is in the middle of nowhere, and unless you are a hermit crab, I wouldn't send my kids there.

LOL Are you aware that she has already posted on this thread ???
There are a few schools that have shuffled around directors and trainers this year, some just moving from one school to the other. I doubt that the riding program of any of them will change in any significant way.

Lives2Jump
May. 10, 2011, 12:11 PM
LOL Are you aware that she has already posted on this thread ???
There are a few schools that have shuffled around directors and trainers this year, some just moving from one school to the other. I doubt that the riding program of any of them will change in any significant way.

Thank you for pointing that out, but yes I am fully aware that she has already posted on the thread. I was simply stating my opinion of what is happening. I could give many details but that would open up a whole can of worms which I am not interested in getting into.

chunky munky
May. 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
No need for worms, but that is a pretty strong negative statement. I would contend that you already released a few nematodes....I have know a number of girls that attended CH and were quite pleased. Jus' sayin...

VirginiaBred
May. 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
I second Chatham Hall. :)

Unfortunately Foxcroft starts at 9th grade.

RolyPolyPony
May. 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ethel Walker in CT is the first that comes to mind - and I'm 99% sure 8th graders can be boarders.

hj0519
May. 10, 2011, 05:35 PM
Ethel Walker in CT is the first that comes to mind - and I'm 99% sure 8th graders can be boarders.

I didn't think they could...can't find it straight out on the website, but in tuition fees it has costs for upper school boarding, upper school day, and middle school day but not middle school boarding.

Bay
May. 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
Boarding at Ethel Walker starts in 9th grade

snaffle635
May. 10, 2011, 07:30 PM
Linden Hall in Lititz, PA accepts 8th graders, and I know many a horsey daughter that would kill to go there. I currently live in Lititz, and it really is a lovely atmosphere. I have to admit though, while the education is top notch, the riding as I have witnessed at their schooling shows is not quite up to the same level. It will however give your daughter a chance to shine if she is already competing at the top levels!

I lived in the area while in sixth grade (early 70's) and thought Linden Hall was the coolest place I'd ever heard of. Horses at school???? Wow!

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 10, 2011, 08:01 PM

That's quite a strong statement. Especially considering they haven't even selected the new director. If it was "going down the tubes," how could anyone have any idea what the said tubes even WERE as of yet? :confused:

I'll admit I'm no CH insider, but I DO know for certain that the folks being considered for the open director's position are all well qualified and seem excellent candidates.

The person I know who currently teaches in the program (and who will continue to be with them beyond this school year) is very qualified- patient, a lovely rider, a phenomenal horse person, and a top notch instructor. I have very high standards and said person exceeds them in each category. I would send a child to train under her in a heartbeat.

Sure, it's always possible that a change in management will send things to hell in a handbasket. That said, I don't see the slightest indication that in the case of Chatham Hall.

I'd love a PM with what makes you think otherwise...

dp1092
May. 10, 2011, 08:12 PM

I live near Litiz and my barn used to attend their hunter schooling shows, but around 2 years ago they stopped doing them because they couldn't afford to do them anymore. I also don't know if they accept boarders either. If you don't live in the Litiz area where the student could do the day school, the money isn't worth it. The tuition to send the student (riding lessons, shows, living in the dorms, etc) cost more then what I am paying to go to college right now, including my books :)

I second Garrison Forest, I had a friend who went there and rode and loved it. It seems like a really nice school and a very friendly atmosphere :)

dp1092
May. 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Also I'dRatherBRiding: I think there are schooling shows still held at the facilities at Linden Hall but they are sponsered by Cross Road Tack Shop not the school itself! I could be wrong, but I called this past winter to see if Linden Hall would be doing their summer schooling shows and they said they no longer do horse shows that are sponsored by the school there

quicksilverponies
May. 10, 2011, 09:50 PM
My farm is very near Andrews-Osborne, and we seriously considered it for our son who is now a junior in high school. If they would have had a more developed athletic program for boys (just became co-ed a couple of years ago), we probably would have sent him there. My neighbors have had 2 daughters there, and I know many others that are currently attending or have graduated from there. They have a wonderful facility for equines, a very good riding/trainine program and more importantly, an excellent scholastic curriculum. I would definitely check this school out!

Sugarbrook
May. 10, 2011, 10:04 PM
My daughter went to Stuart Hall in Stanton, Va. for her senior year. She loved it. Check it out.

Va2Ga
May. 10, 2011, 10:25 PM
I went to Oldfields I would suggest visiting as many as you can. They all very and academics are big part. I loved Oldfields because of how they structured their classes and the one on one with the teachers. The riding was great and I had a lot of opportunities thanks to the riding program.

kichiri_kachiri
May. 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
The Madeira School (http://www.madeira.org/on-campus/athletics/team-pages/riding-program/index.aspx) for 9th grade and above... McLean, VA

HoofaSchmigetty
May. 11, 2011, 08:56 AM
As a preferred commercial hauler for the riding director at Chatham Hall...I can ASSURE YOU....After July, there will be NO riding program around OR horses left at Chatham Hall.....I KNOW....I've been pulling them out regularly!!!

Xctrygirl
May. 11, 2011, 09:30 AM
Ok here's how I would break it down...

I went to Oldfields (grad in '90) and am bringing my horse back from there this week as he didn't want to be a school horse! (damn) So I have been there before and lately. The program has been heavily hunter based recently. BUT the head of riding has just accepted the position to be head at Foxcroft starting this summer. The new head of riding at OS is going to be Amy, who's been working at OS for a few years doing the eventers. She obviously comes from an eventing background. Now I don't think it will change a whole lot, but fair warning it may shift a little. (I am an eventer mostly so it wouldn't bother me)

Madeira is another great school but it starts at 9th for sure. My mother went there and is very active as a Board member. She was chairman of the board for 8 years and I can strongly reccomend their program as well.

Do your research and go see everywhere you're considering.

~Emily

Ben and Me
May. 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
Chatham Hall is also 9-12 (or at least it was when I visited as a prospective student ~10 years ago), as is Foxcroft.

Agree that the visit is the most important part in the decision process -- try to stay overnight, if you can.

ETA: Just checked the website -- Chatham Hall is still 9-12. So, all this discussion is a bit of a moot point.

not again
May. 11, 2011, 09:50 AM
http://www.oldfieldsschool.org/page.cfm?p=354

Xctrygirl
May. 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
By the way...

Our Alumnae Riders link is way out of date.

We have a long list of very impressive alum riders who are not on the OS website.

Among them: Helen Pitts - A very succesful racehorse trainer

Cappy Peterson - Hunter/ Jumpers and Reining now

Jill Hunter- Hunter Jumpers

Beale Wright Morris (CCI**** eventer... sadly deceased)

Emily Rawle (Upper level dressage rider, sadly deceased)

Ellie Rawle (Upper level dressage and eventing)

Natasha Hunt (Huntsman for a few Foxhunts)

Leslie Falini Young - Steeplechase trainer

I am forgetting a bunch but bottom line the website doesn't do the graduates of the program justice.

~Emily

DNB
May. 11, 2011, 04:44 PM
The new head of riding at OS is going to be Amy, who's been working at OS for a few years doing the eventers. She obviously comes from an eventing background. Now I don't think it will change a whole lot, but fair warning it may shift a little. (I am an eventer mostly so it wouldn't bother me

I did a few lessons with Amy when I was at OS. I thought that she was a very good instructor. Patient and made sure to explain what she was trying to teach you. She is also very sweet! I don't think there will be a shift as to how things will be. If there is it will not be big.

Xctrygirl
May. 11, 2011, 05:14 PM
Oh I agree....doubtful if there's any shift at all imho. However some folks who are "Dedicated" hunters may not be wholly ok with an instructor who brings in knowledge from other disciplines. Now having said this, let me say also that this is by far the biggest pet peeve of mine in regards to riding. It shouldn't matter where your expertise comes from as long as you can do the job. But some people are just this way.

I mentioned it for that small percentage of folks.

~Emily

airineek
May. 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
I have a friend who went to Chatham Hall in VA. Sounds like it has a great riding program and she never wanted to leave. However, I think it starts in 9th grade rather than 8th grade.

http://www.chathamhall.org/about_us/

trina1
May. 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
Someone tell me the scoop on Chatham Hall...

soleil
Aug. 12, 2011, 01:35 AM
There are some great US boarding schools (http://www.troubledteens.com/) like Thatcher and Cate. However, most boarding schools start in 9th grade. There are a few called Jr. Boarding Schools that would have 8th grade boarders.