PDA

View Full Version : Custom Stall Guards

Dramapony_misty
May. 9, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm looking for a good place to get some custom logo'd stall guards to take to shows. Solid, preferably canvas, under $100...
I searched online and could really only find Dover (expensive) and SmartPak (bad reviews since they were nylon and didn't seem to hold up well).

Any ideas?

THANKS!

GoForAGallop
May. 9, 2011, 11:05 AM
If all you need is the custom logo, and you don't need any sort of custom color or pattern, then I would just buy some stock ones online and bring them to your local embroidery place. My place does mostly jackets and stuff for local businesses but will happily accept "unique" items and have done a blanket for me for like $10.

Dramapony_misty
May. 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks Gallop...that is the type I'm looking for. I just can't seem to find them.:confused:

GoForAGallop
May. 9, 2011, 02:31 PM
Oh, I thought the issue was finding a place that also embroiders them, not finding them at all! Let me poke around:

Ack, you're right! That is so insanely odd that they are part of the standard "package" for big show setups but no where to be found....in ANY setup!

Wellllll, now my suggestion is to look for someone who could make it for you? Even if they're not in the horse business? You could try contacting people who make show drapes; they'll be familiar with working with your material, and with the horse world.

Any chance YOU'RE handy with the sewing machine? :lol:

SanJacMonument
May. 9, 2011, 03:05 PM
Call an upolstery or canvas shop, they will have leads for you.

Mali
May. 9, 2011, 03:08 PM
I found this in a "Google" search...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112997172067843

Karen's Stitches

BusinessDescription:Monogramming and sewing home-based business. I specialize in monogramming for the equestrian: show collars, saddle pads, coolers, blankets, etc. My sewing services include stall drapes, saddle covers, trunk covers, wrap holders and stall guards. I also make custom draperies, roman shades, duvet covers, pillows and cushions.
Contact Info: asheltie@bellsouth.netLocation:Chelsea, AL.

CatOnLap
May. 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-STE9221.html?L+scstore+vksq4149ff8c9b8c+1304981354
those are sturdy and the reverse is plain canvas, could be silk screened or embroidered.

http://sprucehaven.com/index.html

this place has them custom embroidered, look under the tab " sprucewares" on the left and scroll down

Kryswyn
May. 9, 2011, 08:50 PM
I know you say you want canvas, but could I please try to convince you to go the mo' money route and get solid vinyl?

Why? Because they last forever! If a horse does push through it, it's only the double end snap that you have to replace. Canvas stall guards end up with broken snaps all the time. Those snaps are big and they're sewn in. So when one breaks, you either don't use that snap or attach a double end snap in a half-assed tacky manner.

Vinyl is easy to clean and can be customized with just as much detail as your embroidery. You really don't want to wash your canvas stall guards.

And I think you should research the cost of embroidery. Unless you're doing a simple monogram, a logo will have a one time set up charge that can be quite pricey, and then it's so much per piece for every stall guard.

CatOnLap
May. 10, 2011, 11:03 AM
I've been using the canvas stall guards from Greenhawk for about 20 years, Kryswyn, and I have a pail full of the snaps, all still good, from when the canvas wears out. I find I get about 3-4 years out of the guards in 24/7/365 use (we almost never close stall doors and the guards keep the horses in) I rarely have a snap break. In fact, I've recycled the old snaps from the worn out guards with binder twine and sections of garden hose, to create "redneck" stall guards, braided binder twine on to them to create dog tethers and so on.

The Vinyl ones are quite nice though, at twice the price.

UpperFallsFarm
May. 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
http://www.equessories.com/around_the_barn.htm

Just an idea!

mvp
May. 10, 2011, 05:48 PM
I know you say you want canvas, but could I please try to convince you to go the mo' money route and get solid vinyl?

Why? Because they last forever! If a horse does push through it, it's only the double end snap that you have to replace. Canvas stall guards end up with broken snaps all the time. Those snaps are big and they're sewn in. So when one breaks, you either don't use that snap or attach a double end snap in a half-assed tacky manner.

Vinyl is easy to clean and can be customized with just as much detail as your embroidery. You really don't want to wash your canvas stall guards.

And I think you should research the cost of embroidery. Unless you're doing a simple monogram, a logo will have a one time set up charge that can be quite pricey, and then it's so much per piece for every stall guard.

Will you marry me, Kryswyn? We are completely on the same page about all issues from "go once and go custom" to durability and all.

I will add, however, that these vinyl stall guards are heavy. Just so you know. But they are just about impossible to destroy so they are safe for horse with teeth and errant legs.

OP, I'll bet The Clothes Horse in New Jersey or Equitex in California will make you exactly what you want. Anyone who makes custom show drapes will do this for you. How custom and well done you'd like is a question of picking the company. What about having them sew in rings so that you can use double ended snaps for longevity?

I'm also a fan of creating a logo or custom monogram with one embroidery place and using them for all your stuff. It works out to be less expensive, easier and nicer-looking in the end. I have one of these and I don't pay $45 for a two-color monogram that everyone shopping at Dover or Smartpak has.