PDA

View Full Version : Tapestry Needle Size for Button Braids?

page3girl
May. 8, 2011, 06:52 PM
I have a 2" tapestry needle that I use for button braids, but I want to buy a whole bunch so I can thread them before braiding and just use them. I've found the needles online, but they are "sized" (22, 24, 26 and so on) and I can't tell from the pictures what size corresponds to what I want :confused:

Does anyone know what "size" a 2" tapestry needle would be?

Leprechaun
May. 8, 2011, 07:23 PM
Do they have measurements of any kind attached or is there a phone number buried inside the site that you could ask?

SilvyFilly
May. 8, 2011, 07:51 PM
the sizes i'm betting are the gauge of the needle. Which is how big around it is. The smaller the number the bigger the needle. So you just need to figure if you prefer a thicker, or thinner needle. I'm assuming you'd want something chunkier so I would look for a needle that is a 16 gauge or even a 14. A good way to compare it- your average earring post is an 18 gauge. Hope this helps.

Sandy M
May. 8, 2011, 10:26 PM
Heck, I just use a blunt, plastic yarn needle, and it works fine. Nice tight button braids, and no risk of accidently poking myself or the horse.

scubed
May. 9, 2011, 08:37 AM
Ditto on the plastic yarn needle:

http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-Needle-Plastic-Yarn-Needles/dp/B000V7N5DG

Old Fashioned
May. 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
I buy mine at at Michael's in the yarn/embroidery section. They are really nice metal 2" needles with a blunt tip and large oval opening.

purplnurpl
May. 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
I buy mine at at Michael's in the yarn/embroidery section. They are really nice metal 2" needles with a blunt tip and large oval opening.

ditto.
I get mine at Walmart.