PDA

View Full Version : Flowering trees in Ky

Foxtrot's
May. 8, 2011, 05:50 PM
Last year in Kentucky when we went for the Derby, there were a lot of beautiful flowering trees that looked as if they were covered in snow. Not leafed out yet, black-ish barked. Anybody know what they are - some kind of acacia? Thanks, from up North.

harvestmoon
May. 8, 2011, 06:07 PM
Dogwood, I believe.

Ginger
May. 10, 2011, 03:10 PM
Locust trees. They have a lovely perfume.

Bacchus
May. 10, 2011, 04:15 PM
My husband and I were wondering this the other day. We noticed trees in the forest and along the roads as tall as the Oaks, pines, etc., but they looked white instead of green because of the white flowers.

They are Black Locust: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_locust

This is what bothers me: "Horses that consume the plant show signs of anorexia, depression, incontinence, colic, weakness, and cardiac arrhythmia. Symptoms usually occur about 1 hour following consumption, and immediate veterinary attention is required."

I'm pretty sure there aren't any close to my property, but I'm going to check when I get home. Let's hope they aren't tasty and the horses just ignore them.

Bacchus
May. 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
I'm going to check -- maybe the ones near me are Honey Locust, which would be great:)

Calamber
May. 11, 2011, 12:16 AM
Last year in Kentucky when we went for the Derby, there were a lot of beautiful flowering trees that looked as if they were covered in snow. Not leafed out yet, black-ish barked. Anybody know what they are - some kind of acacia? Thanks, from up North.

Did you notice if they had thorns on the trunk or on the branchlets? By the way, Bacchus, goats absolutely love honey locust leaves, they would stand on their hind legs and rip them off. My family friends had so many trees that we would cut off branches to feed the goats. That brought back good memories, they smell so sweet.

Have you ever seen a Sunburst Locust, the leaves are totally, beautifully yellow when they come out for the first few weeks. Real feathery leaves too. Just beautiful.

Bacchus
May. 11, 2011, 09:34 AM
From what I read, the Honey Locust have thorns growing out of the trunk/branches? The ones I saw on the way home last night did not have thorns and the bark was like rope, which is what I read about Black Locust. I also read the flowers of the Black Locust are sweet and edible, but I'm not going to find out;)

Ginger
May. 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
Bacchus, both types of locust have fragrant flowers, and honey locusts do have wicked thorns. Around here, they are pretty much weeds, they're everywhere. We've got both kinds along the fencerows, and the ponies ignore them - if they're not standing under the shade on a hot summer day. Right now, the air is perfumed with their scent. Heavenly...

Foxtrot's
May. 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
I did not notice re the thorns - but they were at one of the stallion stations we visited - looked like there had been a snowfall. Lovely.