PDA

View Full Version : Comma to the Top injured

EightBelles134
May. 7, 2011, 10:17 PM
finished last and came out of the race with an ankle chip.He'll require surgery and 60 days off

TBCollector
May. 7, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking that's the reason he was the only horse wearing front wraps in the race. The poor horse looked so choppy warming up. Another Peter Miller production.

Gunnar
May. 8, 2011, 09:08 AM
What about Archarcharch? Any news?

MightyBobbyMagee
May. 8, 2011, 09:20 AM
What about Archarcharch? Any news?

Later condylar fracture. Due to have surgery today. According to report on BH from Dr. Bramlage, he'll have to have screws put in, so assumably he will not been seen again.

What a shame about Comma to the Top, though. I wish the owners and trainer had stuck with their original goal to stay out of the Derby.

Anne
May. 8, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have seen lateral condyles with screws race again.

maxxtrot
May. 8, 2011, 08:06 PM
that condylar could very well race again. we do plenty of those surgries at the clinic i work for and lots go on to race again.

DLee
May. 8, 2011, 08:19 PM
Just read ArchArchArch has been retired and will head to stud. I guess no one sees a problem with that. :confused:

maxxtrot
May. 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
sad to read he is done racing, but happens all the time

vineyridge
May. 9, 2011, 11:11 AM
This is why the American TB breaks down so often--no thought at all for soundness.

Bogie
May. 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
This is why the American TB breaks down so often--no thought at all for soundness.

Arch3 was bumped hard twice at the beginning of the race. It seems that's where he was injured. More a result of the general pandemonium of a 19 horse field of 3 year olds, I think, than breeding for "un-soundness". I do agree that there are some lines that seem more prone to break downs but what happened to Arch looks more like it was related to the bumping.

Gestalt
May. 9, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking that's the reason he was the only horse wearing front wraps in the race. The poor horse looked so choppy warming up. Another Peter Miller production.

Is this Peter Miller the trainer? Sounds like he makes a habit out of running horses that are nqr. :(

Calamber
May. 10, 2011, 05:49 AM
Arch3 was bumped hard twice at the beginning of the race. It seems that's where he was injured. More a result of the general pandemonium of a 19 horse field of 3 year olds, I think, than breeding for "un-soundness". I do agree that there are some lines that seem more prone to break downs but what happened to Arch looks more like it was related to the bumping.

Not true, watch the replay, he actually had a very clean trouble free (no contact) break, he stumbled. He took the proverbial "bad step" of which I am not a proponent. They have weaknesses, the weaknesses cause the bad step in most cases, not vice versa. Aside from that, here is the link to a clear head on shot of the break. As everyone hopefully knows, he is in the 1 spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVi6-83TAtA

Bogie
May. 10, 2011, 07:08 AM
You're right. Since I wrote that I researched Condylar fractures. They are generally the result of accumulated stress -- microfractures form and heal on a race horse's legs all the time. If it goes well, the bones enlarge and the leg gets stronger. However, if the horse takes a bad step that weakness can cause catastrophic failure.

More details here:
http://equineink.com/2011/05/09/archarcharch-suffers-condylar-fracture-in-derby-and-is-retired/

Mara
May. 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Not true, watch the replay, he actually had a very clean trouble free (no contact) break, he stumbled. He took the proverbial "bad step" of which I am not a proponent. They have weaknesses, the weaknesses cause the bad step in most cases, not vice versa. Aside from that, here is the link to a clear head on shot of the break. As everyone hopefully knows, he is in the 1 spot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVi6-83TAtA

A better link would be the isolated NBC replay shown during the broadcast. There was a bobble, and if I recall correctly, some contact. Archie wasn't "mugged", though.