PDA

View Full Version : Garage Saddle Storage

CobJockey
May. 7, 2011, 09:19 PM
My husband and I recently purchased our first house, and I'm going to be storing my saddles in our garage (Western, A/P and CC). I take lessons right now and do not own a horse at the moment, but will again in the future, so the saddles will spend a lot of time on the racks.

I've heard that the metal tube-style racks put dents in the flocking and I don't have enough pads to put underneath them to protect them from that, but I'm afraid that the fold-down wooden ones wouldn't work for long-term storage, though ideally I'd like a minimalistic solution like that. What's my best bet for a good long-term storage rack that won't damage my saddles and will look good in a garage instead of a tack room?

clanter
May. 7, 2011, 09:39 PM
First off a horse can fit in the standard garage

and my kids took over the little used living room and made that into a tack room...which it was until the last one left for college

tnscvaga
May. 8, 2011, 09:00 PM
I use the fold down wooden kind in the garage. Have for ~14 years. My biggest problem has been mildew in the summer. My DH's saddle has spent more time on the racks than on a horse. The local Stubben rep couldn't believe how great it looked when I asked what it was worth last fall.

karlymacrae
May. 9, 2011, 04:49 AM
If you use a wide enough round or diamond shaped wooden rack and covered it in carpet or memory foam/sponge it will be fine. Put as many pads as possible under them for extra protection!

2DogsFarm
May. 9, 2011, 06:24 AM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27516&ids=1020576700

I got these from Dover 7 years ago.
The tube fits into the saddle gullet, so flocking is not compromised.
Like tnscvaga said, your biggest problem will be humidity, but that's true in any tackroom unless it's temp-controlled.
For that you can get a couple of those de-moisturizing packs they sell for closets.