View Full Version : tractor for a 2 acre "farm"

May. 7, 2011, 03:58 PM
i realize farm is not really the right term ;)
but what would be an appropriate tractor for something that size that includes a house and shedrow barn to house a horse or two? thinking of a workhorse type of a tractor that could take various attachments.

May. 7, 2011, 04:51 PM
What are you planning to do with it?

If you want to be able to haul round bales around, that puts you into "medium-sized and up". Ditto if you want a front-end loader or other serious earthmoving ability.

But if you're just looking at a modest manure spreader, a cart or wagon to move things, and mowing/grooming of pastures and riding areas, you could do all that with a riding lawnmower or 4-wheeler. They're making some crazy-neat attachments for farm 4-wheelers.

May. 7, 2011, 04:52 PM
I have a 26 hp. Kubota tractor with the front loader and a scraper on the back. I love it, and it's perfect for what I need..mostly snow removal in the winter and I use it to dump my manure in the dumpster every day and move the occasional hay bale to the dumpster, too. I only have two horses at home, and it's just right for my needs. I have small acreage, too, by the way.

Almost Heaven
May. 7, 2011, 05:14 PM
Saddleup hit the nail on the head - a 20-25hp with loader will do anything you can imagine, and will last much longer than the "lawn tractors." Then match up the utensils you need.

May. 7, 2011, 05:52 PM
I just bought a 24 hp tractor to replace my 33 horsepower tractor.

I have a NH tc33da...33 hp and for New Holland it's the largest size in the midframe range. So enough chutzpah to run decent sized things off the rear PTO but not a honking huge bugger either. It's a hydrostatic and has the quick attach system so it's pretty darned easy to run, handle and service even if you're not a big gear head. Love my New Holland.

However...I *just* bought a new JD 2320 to replace it. Why? Because in the almost 7 years I've had my NH I've only put a bit over 200 hours on it. The size prohibits quite a few things, it doesn't fit into my smallish barn easily. My lot is 4.5 acres, much of it heavy woods with lots of steep areas. A tall and somewhat wide tractor doesn't fit in the wooded areas at all and the doesn't feel as stable on the steep areas. And although I'm a big supporter of "never have too much power"...this tractor has way more than we've needed in 7 years. I don't have anything to bushhog, I don't mow with it, don't grow hay, don't move round bales, etc. When it gets to the point where you're needing the start the tractor up and drive it up and down the driveway just to keep it in good working condition, it's time for a smaller tractor, LOL!

I went today for the "crash course" on caring for my new JD, it gets delivered this coming week. It's small enough to maneuver through the woods and in and out of tighter areas, it's low enough to not feel tippy on steep areas and easier for me to get on and off multiple times per day. (cleaning the paddock and stalls with it daily, etc)

And it's going to be a even easier than my NH to use, change attachments and maintain! I went with the i-match system so I rarely have to even leave the seat to swap out attachments. No brute strength needed, so IMO it's very female-friendly. :yes: I'll be turning the manure pile, digging trenches, grading, removing snow, clearing some woods, etc with it but still be able to do smaller daily jobs too. And with JD releasing their brand new 1000 series in the next 6 weeks...the 2320s and 2305s are all having really nice discounts. (they want the new tractor's competition off the lots before the new ones get in) We were going to wait for the new 1026r (other new model is the 1023e, the base model...both are the same size though) but the woods and ledge I have here meant I needed more ground clearance. The 1000s have 7.5" clearance and the 2320 is 12". The 1000s also have tons of attachments available and if you don't need ground clearance then check those out too.

Check out the ease of attachments on the new models: (my 2320 does similar)
Mower deck:

Blue Star
May. 8, 2011, 01:01 AM
2 acres, 4 horses..... 20HP Kubota with front bucket and scraper...it's done the trick for the last 10 years...move manure, drag arena, scoop gravel...love it!

May. 8, 2011, 06:37 AM
2 acres, 4 horses..... 20HP Kubota with front bucket and scraper...it's done the trick for the last 10 years...move manure, drag arena, scoop gravel...love it!

The Kubota tractor was designed from day one for the small farms in Japan

IF you are dead set on a John Deere then look at a Yanmar as they built many of the light duty compact tractors for John Deere and supplied diesel engines.... they are made in China

May. 8, 2011, 08:40 AM
We have a John Deere 2320 and it is the perfect size for our 3.5 acres and it's so Chic Friendly to operate. We bought it with a front end loader and box blade and have since bought an auger. Great tractor!

And it is possible to push and pull round bales of hay with a JD 2320 but you can't use a fork to lift one and move it. :)

May. 8, 2011, 05:38 PM
7 acres in pasture, 2 horses.

Bolen 15.5hp 38" cut. Bought it 12 yrs ago and still going strong. Have mowed from here to NY on this thing, hauled hay, rocks, tree stumps, you name it, in the wagon.

Loves to ride
May. 9, 2011, 12:51 PM
Not meaning to hijack, but is there a small tractor that will work for small acreage and can double as lawn and paddock mower and do a decent job?

If I should open a new thread, just let me know.

I'm curious to answers to the OP's question as well.

May. 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
Would love a Kubota but they area little cost prohibitive with the new house, we're looking into a 300cc or so used ATV with plow and trailer. And hopefully making really good friends with the farming neighbours if we have to move the manure pile :).

Otherwise, maybe an older (50s...) model tractor. Our neighbour on the left (400+ acre) has his big JD he uses every day, but they will frequently use their old guy too; our horse-neighbours across (50ac) only have the older model and get by just fine, they borrow the JD if there is a big job theirs can't do.

How often are you really going to need the big tractor for digging fence posts (you can rent a digger instead)? You can even get spreaders for an atv. Gotta make sure your investment is going to pay off ;).

May. 9, 2011, 01:00 PM
We have a baby Kubota (4 acres of grass/yard/barn) for our farmette. Front bucket, 4' brush hog, 54" midmount finish mower. We can move manure and gravel, mow paddocks, mow the lawn, hog small brush/blackberry bushes, haul crap around and move snow.

It works amazingly well as a lawn mower with the mid-mount, especially with turf tires.

May. 9, 2011, 01:01 PM
That would depend on the lawn you're mowing. If you have a lot of landscaping to mow around, then you'd need a large mower that can handle a small front end loader type deal. If you don't need to cut around a lot of stuff, then a sub-compact or compact tractor with mower deck will work great. And those have a lot more useable attachments.
Although with a subcompact you'll be a bit limited in what you can attach to the rear PTO due. It might not be enough to power a brush-hog, etc.

Something like the JD 2305 was great for mowing, using an FEL, plowing, etc:
They discontinued this model and replaced it this year with the 1023e and 1026r. Same size, more attachments, upgrades and more user-friendly. (most attachments go on without operator needing to leave the seat)
But you can find the less expensive 2305 model used pretty easily.

Or a similar model of a different make like Kubota or New Holland, etc.

May. 9, 2011, 03:29 PM
wow they D/C'd my tractor? :(

Loving my 3 year old 2305 John Deere. Use it almost every day for something. Dragging the ring, brush hog, plowuing snow, moving manure or compost and we are about to level the pad for our swimming pool with it...

We have 3 acres

Bank of Dad
May. 9, 2011, 03:51 PM
Got the JD 2305 last year for mother's day, and DH has kept it all to himself! We just love it. We got the snowblower attachment and it was great with all the snow we had this year. We have five acres. Its just the right size.

May. 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
Yep, JD announced the new 1000 series models and then announced they'd be replacing the 2305. They're keeping the 2320 though. Since the 2305 and 2320 had quite a few differences between them, they wanted to start a new numbered series so it was easier to know approximate size of tractor by hearing the name.

I'm not so sure the actual 2305 is completely scrapped though...the new 1023E is basically a completely revamped 2305. Same exact size and HP, same almost everything. The 1026R is the same exact tractor as the 1023E but with more upgrades coming standard. But both are basically the 2305 redone, just the whole thing is now i-match compatible front, mid and rear for easy attachment changes. Maybe a small boost in HP too.

The *good* news with the 2305 is that any dealership that has any left are on *massive* sale right now and dealers are being told by JD to get them off the lots asap so there's no competition for the 1000 series when they get there after June 1st. I've read online that some dealerships are selling the few new ones left off at more than 30% discounts! Same with some attachments. :winkgrin: Those are great little tractors!

May. 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Just to clarify, we're still talking about 2 acres (with buildings on it) and 1-2 horses, right? So, up to maybe dealing with a wheelbarrow or so of poop a day and less than 2 acres of mowing?

I was just a little surprised by some of the responses to absolutely go bigger, since I've been maintaining 41 hilly acres and up to 10 horses with a JD lawn tractor (with 54-inch mower deck) and a 45 hp 4wd Kubota. The lawn tractor is in great shape, and is on year 7 of mowing all the interior fencelines and about 4 acres around the house and arena, and pulling the herbicide sprayer. And it's been used in the paddocks--just set the blade high and go slow over the rougher ground.

YMMV, but it's generally a heck of a lot cheaper to rent or hire for big projects than to buy, maintain, and house rarely-used equipment.