PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? - auction today - trailer

mercedespony
May. 7, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm sitting at a farm auction right now, there is a 2 horse trailer, Phoenix 1997 , in good shape, with tack room.
What 's my highest bid?
You guys would love it here, it's a horsey tack bonanza!

atlatl
May. 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
Not familiar with that brand, but would suggest looking around you and assessing the competition so to speak in comparison to what you can afford. Guessing this is a steel trailer. 5 year ago, I sold a 2 horse slant Logan trailer with dressing room for $4500 that was around 7 years old but it had a new roof and had been recently painted.

Good luck

Christa P
May. 7, 2011, 06:31 PM
It is an aluminum and a very nice Jamco. Not sure of the current prices, but my mom had a 2H Pheonix with no dressing room. She traded it in for ~$6000 when it was 4 or 5 years old.

Christa

mercedespony
May. 7, 2011, 08:28 PM
Got it! I'm so excited.

Christa, you are right, I found out that it is from the Jamco line.
It is aluminum, wooden floors though. I pulled the mats and the floor is in great shape, crawled underneath and the frame is great.

I had a dealer come up to me afterwards and tell me I got a great deal, so I am very happy.

atlatl
May. 7, 2011, 09:03 PM
Congrats!

mercedespony
May. 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks -- now for the next question.

I'm going shopping this afternoon to outfit the trailer.

What should I be including? Broom, pitchfork, first aid kit.... what else will I need?

Phaxxton
May. 13, 2011, 10:53 AM
Congrats on the new trailer!

Thanks -- now for the next question.

I'm going shopping this afternoon to outfit the trailer.

What should I be including? Broom, pitchfork, first aid kit.... what else will I need?

Muck bucket
Longe lines (I keep them in my trailer so I always have them in case I have to deal with a problem loader or need to longe on-site)
Treats not likely to spoil
Spare halter(s) / lead rope(s) in case of an emergency
Hay nets and/or mangers if necessary
Fly masks (I trailer all of mine in fly masks to avoid dust / debris in eyes)
Traffic cones or triangles in case you have to pull over for an emergency or break down
Water buckets and straps to hang them in the trailer at stops
Water tank or other means of carrying water
Trailer ties
Mounting block

Not sure what you will use your trailer for, but I keep poultice and poultice supplies in my trailer. This way, we can poultice and wrap before we load up to leave the show. I also keep a complete set of brushes, hoof oil, fly spray, etc. handy in the trailer, so I don't have to pack those things every time we go somewhere.

You might also consider a US Rider membership. :yes:

Enjoy your new trailer!

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
Get the wheel/bearings serviced. Really check the tires (UV rays can wear out the sidewall, even if they have great tread left). Buy a Trailer-Aid. I changed a blown tire in under 10 minutes in 100 degree heat last summer--SO MUCH BETTER THAN A JACK!!

Do you have a spare tire?

jbonifas
May. 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Fire Extinguisher

hosspuller
May. 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
Brake controller for the tow vehicle...:lol:

sahqueen
May. 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
Everything mentioned above plus make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit the trailer...many truck wrenches will not fit your trailer lugs.