PDA

View Full Version : Wild turtle question

pj
May. 6, 2011, 03:17 PM
This is on a horse farm where this little booger was spotted so...kinda horse related.

Anyhow my friend has a pond and she knows there are snapping turtles in there but the other day she spotted a little turtle guy walking near the pond. She said he probably wasn't more than an inch long and was yellow with a pink nose and eyes.
We're wondering what in the world he could be.
I wondered if maybe he's a newly hatched box turtle who will get the black spots as he grows but can't imagine the pink eyes.

Anyone familar with this?

Jumpin_Horses
May. 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
IDK what kind, perhaps you can google images and find out

we get turtles all the time. we usually just pick them up, after making sure they havent laid any eggs near by and run them back across the road to the river. little unappreciative buggers usually try to bite our fingers off the whole way :lol:

Leprechaun
May. 6, 2011, 05:39 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6565454_types-small-turtles-found-georgia.html

pj
May. 6, 2011, 06:09 PM
I posted this once but it didn't appear. Sorry if it shows up twice.

Interesting reading on the turtles of Ga.
:lol: tonight I will be researching. Seems like a fun way to spend an evening.

JH, why do y'all always make sure they haven't laid eggs nearby? Do some turtles care for their eggs and babies? I always thought they laid their eggs and then their motherly duties were done!!

Yep, I think this is going to be interesting learning more about turtles.

Epona142
May. 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Without pictures of the turtle in question, it would be very difficult to identify. Neonates (hatchlings) are often born with much brighter colors than adults.

Turtles do not care for their eggs, unlike crocodilians, some lizards, and some snakes.

pj
May. 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
Without pictures of the turtle in question, it would be very difficult to identify. Neonates (hatchlings) are often born with much brighter colors than adults.

Turtles do not care for their eggs, unlike crocodilians, some lizards, and some snakes.
Interesting!! Thank you.
I do wish she'd gotten pictures but she didn't. She said she wanted to keep him for a while but she knew she had no clue how to care for him or her so did the best thing and let him go on his way.

ReSomething
May. 6, 2011, 08:03 PM
We have little eastern box turtles that hatch out later in the year and you see them a lot on the roads - they look like a little walnut with a thumb sticking out but I can't tell you the shell color or eye color. We had a good growth of clover till last year's drought and the ones I would see there came in a variety of colors from greeny brown to really a bright yellowish with black patterns, and the eyes were from red to yellow with a black iris. I've read that they have a sort of territory and regular areas they visit to feed so I'm a little worried about the clover having died out.
I've picked up a big snapper to put out of the road before and AFAIK if you grab them at 5 and 7 oclock on the shell (head at noon of course) your fingers should be safe. Still a bit interesting.

pj
May. 6, 2011, 09:55 PM
We have little eastern box turtles that hatch out later in the year and you see them a lot on the roads - they look like a little walnut with a thumb sticking out but I can't tell you the shell color or eye color. We had a good growth of clover till last year's drought and the ones I would see there came in a variety of colors from greeny brown to really a bright yellowish with black patterns, and the eyes were from red to yellow with a black iris. I've read that they have a sort of territory and regular areas they visit to feed so I'm a little worried about the clover having died out.
I've picked up a big snapper to put out of the road before and AFAIK if you grab them at 5 and 7 oclock on the shell (head at noon of course) your fingers should be safe. Still a bit interesting.

aha!! I didn't even think about the eyes being red when they mature...and I knew that. The pink eyes on this tiny one was throwing me but bet when he gets bigger he'll have red eyes, too.

I wish I would see a baby box turtle. I see many of them around here but they all are mature and about the same size..every single one.

vacation1
May. 7, 2011, 05:30 AM
I'm surprised your friend had the strength of character to let him go :) I found a newly hatched snapping turtle once, and although it was already as aggressive and nasty as an adult, I was tempted to just walk home with him balanced on my palm. Tiny, jet black, as perfectly formed as an egg - more like a piece of art than a living reptile.

bathsheba8542
May. 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
We found a baby snapping turtle in the downstairs when we were doing some construction...still don't know how it got it. Took it to the newly-made-gorgeous pond and put it in, whereupon the little critter played possum until I stopped watching and then it swam away. They are very cute. We also have some MONSTER snappers but they are all very shy and retiring.

Jumpin_Horses
May. 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
we usually check for eggs cause we wouldnt want to disturb them with a mower or something. we would perserve the area until hatched, then run the snapping, ungrateful little buggers across the road to the river :)

but, yea, I think the motherly duties ends at the egg laying