PDA

View Full Version : Wash stall construction this summer

Crown Royal
May. 6, 2011, 03:09 PM
and I want to prepare myself and my dad. :) We plan to clear out the junk out of one of our stalls and turn it into a wash stall. It has plywood walls and a swing open door to the aisle and double doors to the outside paddocks. My dad plans on digging out the rocks under the rubber mats that are currently in there so we have more space to pour concrete. I'm thinking we should rough up the surface of the concrete so it has some grip, and then maybe put mats down. We plan to do a drain in the center (with concrete slightly sloping towards it) and dad will do the piping so it drains nicely outside. What kind of mats should we use- the thick rubber stall ones we already have with a cut-out for the drain, or the thin ones with holes that just allow for grip? Or no mats at all and just concrete?

Also, what kind of wall structure would you recommend for holding shampoo bottles and whatnot? Something plastic or metal with lots of racks in it.

And lastly, what are your favorite crossties for wash stalls? Breakaway of course, and how high do you install them on the wall? I have a 12.2 hand pony up to a 16.3 Belgian lol.

Thanks!

Crown Royal
May. 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
Also, does anyone know that one website that sells all sorts of stuff for horse barns? It was posted as a link on a topic recently but my computer crashed and lost my favorites so I don't have it. They had tons of racks and different size baskets you could attach on to them, tons of crosstie stuff, and other things like that.

LauraKY
May. 6, 2011, 07:24 PM
The best wash stall I've seen was slanted towards the back with a drain all along the back wall.

susanne
May. 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
Here's one:

http://www.organizedbarn.com/

Crown Royal
May. 7, 2011, 04:34 PM
Here's one:

http://www.organizedbarn.com/

Aha! Thank you! That's the exact website. :)

I would like to have a panel like the one shown, with baskets like shown:

http://www.organizedbarn.com/products.html#panels

lorilu
May. 8, 2011, 11:46 AM
My wash stall slopes to the back corner , and has a drain through the wall to the outside. SO much easier to clean out than a floor drain! The water just drains out into a grassy area.... you could put in a dry well if you have hard soil or clay... just a hole fulled with rocks....

L

manesntails
May. 8, 2011, 12:09 PM
Your Dad might want to also concrete the walls. The wood walls will get wet and stay damp for long periods which can lead to rot and termites and other nasty things living in it. Bugs love wet wood.

The tracks I've worked on have concrete wash racks in the paddocks and they are sloped and have a grid in the back where the water drains to. I would think the rock under the stall would be best left there to provide a solid footing for the concrete slab. I would put thick mats in the stall and have the drain in the back because it's easier to rinse from front to back than it is to rinse all the sides towards the middle.

I'm also planning a wash rack but mine will be free-standing outside the barn with a slab sloped to the back, as I described above. It will just be the slab in concrete and four 4x4x10' posts will be imbedded in concrete on all four corners with shorter 4x4 posts half way between them, on three sides, and a rail 4' off the ground, all bolted together.

karlymacrae
May. 9, 2011, 04:54 AM
I like wash racks with rubber mats like so http://www.rubbermattinguk.co.uk/dbimages/Ring_Mat_1.jpg

another nice thing to have is white vinyl on the walls to brighten it up and more inviting.

don't forget good lighting!

JB
May. 9, 2011, 09:02 AM
The best wash stall I've seen was slanted towards the back with a drain all along the back wall.
Ya beat me to it :)

Yes, if at all possible, put the drain in the rear, either in the middle or (less my preference) in a back corner. This makes it SO much easier for the pipes to be laid to the outside. Depending on what's outside there and how it slopes, it can either just drain right out the back, or you can lay pipe to have the water dumped farther away.

If this is a small barn, 1-2 horses washed a day or something like that, I wouldn't worry about wood vs concrete walls. Several coats of spar urethane will protect the wood - after all, it's marine-grade ;) If the concrete is sloped appropriately, there should never be any water standing against any wall.

MeghanDACVA
May. 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
We have built several wash stalls over the years. Do the walls in concrete block. If you can find "bull nose" blocks, do the the front corners in them.
The POUR the block. Ie if fill it with concrete. You will need to put re-bar in the block before you pour them though. This will make the wall solid. A kicking horse can, and will, kick thru a concrete block.
Go up about 4 feet.
At the top of the wall either slightly mound and curve the concrere, or make it absolutely flat if you want to be able to put things on it. Do NOT have any dips or low spots since they will hold water.
After the block is done, seal it. Thoroseal is what we have used.
THEN paint it with swimming pool paint.

The drain: Run the pipe it drains into WAY FAR AWAY from the barn. Use large pipe. You would not believe the stuff that will get thru the drain and into the pipe. Unplugging it is not fun. Trust me.

Water: I assume you wil have a hot water too? Even if you don't, right now, plumb for it anyway. Use frost free spigots. If you can recess them as opposed to having them stick out of the wall it is safer. Also, when putting them thru the wall remember that they need to go in with the hot on the RIGHT, not the left. And vice versa. When they come out into the wash stall they will then be on the correct, usual sides.

Run the concrete of the floor out in front of the edge of the stall several feet too. There will be run off!!

Be generous with your drains and drain sizes. Ours are too small. :-( I like the ones with a drain all the way across the back.

Have fun!

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm also planning a wash rack but mine will be free-standing outside the barn with a slab sloped to the back, as I described above. It will just be the slab in concrete and four 4x4x10' posts will be imbedded in concrete on all four corners with shorter 4x4 posts half way between them, on three sides, and a rail 4' off the ground, all bolted together.

Not to hijack, but would you be willing to post a picture after you build it? Will you have hot water?