PDA

View Full Version : Hardiboard or composite for stalls?

winter
May. 6, 2011, 01:29 PM
I recently heard of a farm that used hardi-board sheets as the lower halfs of their stalls rather than the traditional 2x6 planks.
Apparently, although more expensive initially, the horses won't chew it and it looks like a million dollars. I have not seen it in person yet but I am going to try to visit this farm.
Has any done this, or used composite lumber for their stalls instead of the traditional pine?

JSwan
May. 6, 2011, 02:44 PM
I used hardipanel in my barn, as exterior sheathing.

It will not stand up to a kick or pawing. It might if the wall was framed properly, and OSB or another kind of sheathing used under it. Though even then, it will crush or dent.

It's a great product. A bit expensive and difficult to work with. But I would never use it inside a stall. It might look good for a while..... But not for long.

In our barn we built heavily framed walls and used plywood for sheathing. I've got big horses in that barn, including stall kickers. Barely a dent can be seen.

Hope that helps.

FatDinah
May. 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
I agree it is very fragile to a blow. You can just score it and snap the siding 8 inch boards.
I like planks rather than a 4 by 8 sheet of anything because it is much cheaper to repalce one plank than a whole section if it gets damaged.

Janet
May. 6, 2011, 04:26 PM
Same here.
I have the hardi planks on the exterior of my barn,and I am pleased with them- EXCEPT the two places horses kicked at it. I wouldn't use it on the interior of the stall for that reason, it will locallly shatter if kicked.

oldpony66
May. 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
yeah... my horses were at a barn with exterior hardi-plank and it didn't even need a kick, just a bump could knock it in. I would never put it inside stalls. Unless they've come out with something new that I don't know of.

Daydream Believer
May. 6, 2011, 08:40 PM
Ditto to the what the others said. We had hardipanel siding on our old barn in NC and there were some hoof sized holes in it!

winter
May. 9, 2011, 11:42 AM
Great, thank you! I was just thinking of alternatives that they can't chew, but I have no experience with hardi-plank at all so I wasn't sure of how it would react to a kick.

What about composite lumber like decks are made out of?

manesntails
May. 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
You can use the 1" or 15/16th decking but you would have to have upright bracing about every 3' or so because it would warp otherwise. I use pressure treated 1x8"x12' lumber and have to use upright braces every 6' to keep that from warping. Ideally, 2x lumber in any width is less apt to warp in longer lengths and is much sturdier but you still would have to brace it with an upright every 6'.

I found it cheaper to go with the 1x8"x12' lumber than to buy the PT 3/4" exterior plywood; that stuff is expensive~!! Not only that, but if a horse kicks a hole in it, they can get a foot caught in the hole and make a mess of their leg. The board lumber just breaks and the foot doesn't tend to go all the way through.

KrazyTBMare
May. 9, 2011, 10:00 PM
Just echoing others who say they wouldnt use it inside. I had the sheets on the outside of my barn and they do NOT handle kicks or heck even a rock that the lawn mower throws up hitting them. Im all for using something that is decent and safe but not always the most expensive in the stalls. I am using OSB inside my stalls as it works for what I need and eventually, when I need to replace some of the sheets, I can and it wont break the bank.

Kate66
May. 10, 2011, 09:17 AM
Our stalls have hardiplank on the inside of the stalls, however we have 2x6" treated lumber up to 4' as kick panels. The walls above that are all hardiplank and it looks good. Been up 8 years and we've had no chewing or anything. However, as I say, I wouldn't have it right to the ground.

RacetrackReject
May. 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
I wonder if SmartSiding would be an alternative? It is an OSB type material, but can be used outside. The panels have a woodgrain pattern on it like t1-11 or some of the Hardi products, but they have a lap version and board versions as well. It's not as brittle as cement products can be, is lighter in weight, and comes pre-primed, ready to paint.

http://www.lpcorp.com/smartside/