PDA

View Full Version : Putting in an offer on a farm!

saultgirl
May. 6, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm excited -- found a little place on the outskirts of town, 10 acres with a 5 stall barn, paddock and riding arena! Needs some work but we are putting in an offer today! So excited. I had to share with some people who might understand... I'm also getting married tomorrow so everyone I mention the barn to looks at me like I've got two heads. Wish me luck!

MunchkinsMom
May. 6, 2011, 11:48 AM
Oh my, congrats on the wedding (and on my anniversary, so I say that is a very good day), and on the farm-find. I hope it all goes well.

FYI - my husband put the offer on my 10 acres of heaven on our tenth anniversary, best gift I ever got!

Leprechaun
May. 6, 2011, 11:50 AM
Cheers! Wishing you a wonderful future with both and a NAP!

jetsmom
May. 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
Good luck on the offer. Congrats on the wedding!

Bluey
May. 6, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'm excited -- found a little place on the outskirts of town, 10 acres with a 5 stall barn, paddock and riding arena! Needs some work but we are putting in an offer today! So excited. I had to share with some people who might understand... I'm also getting married tomorrow so everyone I mention the barn to looks at me like I've got two heads. Wish me luck!

How wonderful.:cool:

Nes
May. 6, 2011, 12:36 PM
Congrats! We just found our dream place too :).
Signing is SO exciting, but for us it's been an excruciating 44 day wait (and 38 more left to go!) b/c we couldn't get a closer closing date.

Phaxxton
May. 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Congratulations and best of luck with both the wedding and farm! What an exciting time! :)

2DogsFarm
May. 6, 2011, 02:13 PM
Congrats on both Firsts! :D

& of course you come here with the news...
We Get It ;)

saultgirl
May. 6, 2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

Sparky Boy
May. 6, 2011, 03:51 PM
CONGRATS on both the wedding and the farm purchase!!!

We're about to settle on a new farm as well so I know your excitement ! :)

horseluver1
May. 6, 2011, 04:38 PM
congrats!! Just closed on my farm 2 weeks ago!!

heavensdew
May. 6, 2011, 06:32 PM
Good luck! We just had a bid accepted on a 10 acre farm but we have to sell our suburbia house first! Nerve racking. Wish you the best.

ladybugred
May. 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
Double congrats!!!!!

I am SO jealous about the farm, I haven't found the right one yet!

LBR

anchodavis
May. 7, 2011, 07:29 AM
Congrats!! And I totally understand being at least as excited about the barn. :) We just moved to our land last summer, and are slowly building from scratch. Lots of work, but I just love it. Took some pics of the horses watching the sun rise early this morning.

ToiRider
May. 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
Congratulations! Now, run, don't walk to the local farm supply store and buy yourself a good magnet and a tractor or lawn tractor to mow your fields. Do this before you put your horses in the fields. Mow your fields very short (yes I know that long grass is beautiful), because the grass may be hiding some very dangerous stuff. Then take a magnet and go over your barn aisles, stalls, driveways, and pastures near the barn and pick up the nails, screws, etc. that are lurking there. Also, walk the pastures on a sunny day, picking up broken glass and metallic things that the sun reflects off of. Crisscross your mowed pastures looking for holes and broken off metal fenceposts.

Why am I being such a downer? I bought my dream farm two years ago, and I have found multiple broken off metal fenceposts stickng out of the soil just enough to pierce a foot, about 25 metal fenceposts and about 20 old wooden posts with pieces of barb wire still attached laying in the grass, 19 LEG BREAKING deep holes (where wood fence posts were pulled and holes not filled), thousands of nails, broken glass and about 5 rolls of barbwire, all laying in or hidden by that glorious ankle deep grass in my new (old) pastures. I still, two years later, am finding nails and glass on a daily basis in my pastures and barn aisles. ON A DAILY BASIS!

I love my farm, but it scares me to death to think about what is lurking in my beautiful pastures that I haven't found yet. My magnet is my favorite piece of farm equipment. You can get one on wheels at Tractor Supply. If I was getting married and buying a farm at the same time, I would pick Tractor Supply for my source for wedding gifts!! Who needs a new toaster or a casserole dish anyway?

One last thought: Pull up old satellite pictures of your farm, and look at where any old fence lines were. You can then walk those fencelines, looking for old posts, holes, old nails and old wire. I have done this, and it has helped me find the broken off metal posts that are emerging from the soil.

ToiRider
May. 7, 2011, 03:14 PM
LOL, I just looked at your location and it is the U.P., so maybe there isn't long grass yet (I spent 30 years in the Lower Peninsula). However, all my advice still applies. My grass is growing here in Kentucky, but it is shorter than usual in some of my pastures due to last summer's drought. That drought has been a blessing, because everything died back and let me find even more trash that was hiding in the grass. I few weeks ago I found an old burn spot emerging due to all the rain that is right in my horses' path to the barn, and I check it daily for nails. I have found HUNDREDS so far.

Anway, I really do mean the congrats, and I do love my farm!

drewsbadboy
May. 7, 2011, 03:32 PM
Best of luck to you and a HUGE congratulations! :)

saultgirl
May. 9, 2011, 08:32 AM
Congratulations! Now, run, don't walk to the local farm supply store and buy yourself a good magnet and a tractor or lawn tractor to mow your fields. Do this before you put your horses in the fields. Mow your fields very short (yes I know that long grass is beautiful), because the grass may be hiding some very dangerous stuff. Then take a magnet and go over your barn aisles, stalls, driveways, and pastures near the barn and pick up the nails, screws, etc. that are lurking there. Also, walk the pastures on a sunny day, picking up broken glass and metallic things that the sun reflects off of. Crisscross your mowed pastures looking for holes and broken off metal fenceposts.

Why am I being such a downer? I bought my dream farm two years ago, and I have found multiple broken off metal fenceposts stickng out of the soil just enough to pierce a foot, about 25 metal fenceposts and about 20 old wooden posts with pieces of barb wire still attached laying in the grass, 19 LEG BREAKING deep holes (where wood fence posts were pulled and holes not filled), thousands of nails, broken glass and about 5 rolls of barbwire, all laying in or hidden by that glorious ankle deep grass in my new (old) pastures. I still, two years later, am finding nails and glass on a daily basis in my pastures and barn aisles. ON A DAILY BASIS!

I love my farm, but it scares me to death to think about what is lurking in my beautiful pastures that I haven't found yet. My magnet is my favorite piece of farm equipment. You can get one on wheels at Tractor Supply. If I was getting married and buying a farm at the same time, I would pick Tractor Supply for my source for wedding gifts!! Who needs a new toaster or a casserole dish anyway?

One last thought: Pull up old satellite pictures of your farm, and look at where any old fence lines were. You can then walk those fencelines, looking for old posts, holes, old nails and old wire. I have done this, and it has helped me find the broken off metal posts that are emerging from the soil.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be getting the magnet to go over everything, since there is a lot of junk on the property to get cleaned up.

There are horses on the property currently so there is no long grass to mow. Much of the land still needs to be cleared -- I would estimate maybe only 2 acres are really being used right now.

Thanks!

fordtraktor
May. 9, 2011, 08:41 AM
Congratulations on wedding and farm! So exciting, and not necessarily in that order, we understand!