PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE IN OP-babies are well-A blonde, a busy 4 lane road at rush hr and 4 ducklings

jetsmom
May. 5, 2011, 11:13 PM
Also known as how I spent my day, and why my DH was trying to pretend he didn't know me...

My DH and I were out looking at homes today, during rush hr driving down a busy 4 lane rd, when a garbage truck in front of us was suddenly stopped in the rd. There was broken glass/plastic in the rd as well as a dying mother duck, 3 squished dead ducklings and a duckling that was flipping around on the ground obviously stunned. As soon as my DH stopped I said "OH no!" and jumped out of the car while he tried to stop me saying "You're gonna get run over".

Once out, I saw 3 other ducklings that were unhurt, peeping and racing around all confused. I couldn't do anything for mom duck, so I grabbed the stunned duckling, and with nowhere to put him, put him in my shirt.

Then another lady came over to help try to get the 3 ducklings. They were tiny, still with yellow fuzz, but FAST. They ran between the 2 rear dually tires on the truck, and would run out the other side before we could get them. So we're crawling around on our hands and knees under the truck, then jumping up and running after them to the other side of the street where we have traffic at a complete standstill while we two idiots try to catch 3 tiny, fast, terrified balls of fluff, intent on escaping. The stopped motorists had expressions ranging from amusement to flat out pissed off. My DH was trying to pretend he had no idea who I was.

A man stopped his truck, and came over with a milk crate, so the one in my shirt was liberated to that. Then we caught 2 more. We got the 4th one, just as one of the others in the milk crate fell out from the slats, so the chase continued. When that last one was retrieved, we casually waved the drivers through. The guy with the milk crate agreed to take them to the wildlife rescue about a mile away.

It was only then that we noticed the poor guy who was at the start of the accident. Apparently, he tried to stop suddenly when the mom duck and babies went out in the rd, and the garbage truck slammed into his rear end pushing him into the ducks. His car was squished all the way to the back windshield. He was walking around though and looked unhurt.

When I got back in the car, I apologetically told my husband "Well, they would have been killed or died without mom". He just shook his head, sighed, and said "I know". He knows me pretty well, fortunately, and knew it would've been useless to try to persquade me not to try to rescue them. Thank God for patient DH's.

Poor little ducklings. Hopefully the survivors will be ok.

UPDATE-
Just spoke to the wildlife rescue that the ducklings were dropped off at. All 4 are doing well. They're Wood Ducks. They plan to raise them and release them. I'm so happy!

Calvincrowe
May. 5, 2011, 11:19 PM
Good for you! Mr. CC has a fit every time I swerve for the frogs who insist on crossing our busy road each spring and fall. I HATE driving over them..makes me ill just to think about it. I hit a squirrel last fall and cried all the way home.:no:

I'll admit, when I was a teen, my brother and I winged a chicken on a country road--like hitting a feather pillow!:eek: I laughed, but only after it flounced off in a huff.

2DogsFarm
May. 6, 2011, 06:43 AM
Good for you.
Sorry for the guy whose good deed got his car smooshed :(

Around here they post signs with pics of Mama & baby ducks where they are known to nest.
There's even one "Goose Crossing" sign on a 4-lane main road.

The only thing I've ever hit was a robin that flew right into my grille.
Made me cry :cry:

JSwan
May. 6, 2011, 06:48 AM
Of course you have to stop and help! Glad there was a wildlife rescue nearby.

I do it too, you can't just leave them in the road, poor things.

Daydream Believer
May. 6, 2011, 07:28 AM
Yup, that sounds like something I would do. I knew we had a lot in common Jetsmom!

Some years ago I came across a similar scene on a 4 lane road with Canada geese. There was one adult killed, a few babies killed, and the surviving mate and goslings in traffic with idiots trying to drive around them. A man was trying to help them so I stopped also and got out to shoo them off the highway. Other than the adult goose nearly attacking the man who got too close to the babies, it worked out OK. We also had traffic stopped while we herded the goose family to safety.

casper324
May. 6, 2011, 07:41 AM
Thank you for helping the ducklings..........

Yesterday on the way to work, I see a turtle in the road so I stopped for it. As I am looking in my truck for something to help it across, it was a snapper, and idiot passed my truck on the right almost crushing the turtle. I was so worried to go to the other side of the truck I stopped a passing car to tell me if the idiot got the turtle or not. He didn't we got the ungrateful snapper off the road.

chai
May. 6, 2011, 08:07 AM
jet'smom, what a sad thing to come upon. You were so kind to try and help. Mr. chai stopped 3 lanes of traffic on busy Route 1 north of Boston a few years ago to help a mother duck and her babies cross. In his business suit on the way home from work. Instead of being mad, the people in the cars were clapping for him. My hero.

Heliodoro
May. 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
My trainer received a bumper sticker for Christmas from us boarders "I Brake for Woolly Bears!"

She seriously does... with a 6 horse trailer fully loaded...

lcw579
May. 6, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you for helping the ducklings..........

Yesterday on the way to work, I see a turtle in the road so I stopped for it. As I am looking in my truck for something to help it across, it was a snapper, and idiot passed my truck on the right almost crushing the turtle. I was so worried to go to the other side of the truck I stopped a passing car to tell me if the idiot got the turtle or not. He didn't we got the ungrateful snapper off the road.

Another confirmed member of the I Brake for Anything that Breathes Club here!

Casper, your story reminds me of when I was on my way to a bridal shower with two of my sisters and there was a giant turtle crossing the driveway at the club where it was being held. Sister driving the car hops out and is going to just pick the giant muddy turtle up and "help" it across the road and up the curb before it gets crushed by all the cars coming in (it was a BIG shower). I'm yelling "Don't touch it! It's a giant Snapper!"

Much hilarity ensues while we hold up traffic as we are stomping around in high heels rustling around in the car for something to help us move the darn thing while traffic backs up. Made me wish we had my dirty horsey car which for sure would have had something useful. Finally my other sister, who was being dropped off by my BIL showed up. He got out of the car hysterical and saved the day. Nasty turtle got where he needed to go and nobody lost any fingers!

TrueColours
May. 6, 2011, 08:58 AM
Great story to wake up to!!!

Last year we were driving along a fairly busy highway and this black and white "thing" ran across the road and back again, causing a bunch of cars to swerve to avoid it, but no one stopped. Except me ... :rolleyes: ...

It was a baby calf playing chicken on the highway, so I pulled off on the shoulder and sprinted after it (my daughter was in the car going WTF???) and by then the owner was in hot pursuit as was the farmer from across the road. The farmer got to it first and got it by a front leg, I grabbed a back leg and we got it down on the ground and the owner came up with a halter and lead and looking at me in my "good going-to-town clothes" said "watch it - they kick!" and I said "Dont worry - I have horses - I know which end kicks and what ends bites!" and we all laughed as she led away her escapee ...

Im not sure which would be harder to catch and confine though - scurrying little ducklings or kicking baby calves that are having too much fun to be caught!!! :lol:

GoForAGallop
May. 6, 2011, 08:58 AM
-raises hand- I have stopped traffic before to help turtles and duckings. Has to be done!

I inherit it from my mother, who, along with one other crazy lady and eventually a state trooper, halted half of 95. Yes. Four lanes, one direction. Mother duck was frantically trying to get her babies across, but was stuck against the Jersey barrier that divided the directions. Somehow she had managed to make it across the four lanes going the other direction.

On a related note: What is it with the idiotic mother ducks looking at a giant black-tarred highway and thinking "Hmm, yes, this is the route that I want to take with my babies!" :no: :lol: :no:

Calamber
May. 6, 2011, 09:16 AM
My trainer received a bumper sticker for Christmas from us boarders "I Brake for Woolly Bears!"

She seriously does... with a 6 horse trailer fully loaded...

Greenie nut....sorry, but this is fanatical, not heroic. The poor fellow with the squished car! Does it strike anyone else as odd that there was a MAN with a squished car and the duckling heroes did not notice until the ducks were taken care of? Or that you are risking your life in a four lane road for ducklings? A little more balance might be in order, yes? I have been known to stop traffic for a turtle and was almost run over getting a stunned cat out of the road, but come on! Glad he was not having a stroke, heart attack or bleeding to death in the car while everyone was running around with ducks.

PRS
May. 6, 2011, 10:11 AM
That is a hysterical story. I really feel bad for the guy with the smooshed car though and other driver that could very possibly loose his job for rear ending him. I will stop to help wildlife...within the bounds of reason and safety. When my daughter started driving I had to tell her that if she spotted wildlife in the road do try to stop for it BUT if there is no safe alternative go ahead and hit it. We had had a rash of teens and young adults dying in single car accidents on the roads here when their cars left the road and went into a tree or something. 90% of those accidents were thought to be the result of the driver swerving from an animal in the road and loosing control. One night I got the call that every parent dreads. My daughter called me to tell me that she has had an accident driving on a country road. She hit a deer. Her first words to me were..."I just wanted you to know that I had to hit it". She was crying and upset but she was alive to make the call. Had she tried to avoid the deer she might not have been the one making that call to me.

ladybugred
May. 6, 2011, 10:36 AM
Very sweet!

I would have ended up taking them home;)

Not only do I brake for Woolly Bears, I stop to move dead, but not squished, critters off the road. I hate seeing them all pancaked.

I used to deliver newspapers. At night, in spring, the toads were SO thick on the roads you COULDN'T avaoid them. Its SO gross....they POP when you run over them:eek::eek:

LBR

PS- A guy who stops for wayward critters is VERY sexy!

pj
May. 6, 2011, 11:12 AM
Another confirmed member of the I Brake for Anything that Breathes Club here!

Casper, your story reminds me of when I was on my way to a bridal shower with two of my sisters and there was a giant turtle crossing the driveway at the club where it was being held. Sister driving the car hops out and is going to just pick the giant muddy turtle up and "help" it across the road and up the curb before it gets crushed by all the cars coming in (it was a BIG shower). I'm yelling "Don't touch it! It's a giant Snapper!"

Much hilarity ensues while we hold up traffic as we are stomping around in high heels rustling around in the car for something to help us move the darn thing while traffic backs up. Made me wish we had my dirty horsey car which for sure would have had something useful. Finally my other sister, who was being dropped off by my BIL showed up. He got out of the car hysterical and saved the day. Nasty turtle got where he needed to go and nobody lost any fingers!
This reminded me of a time my sil and I came up on a huge snapper in the middle of the highway. We tried and tried to move him but he moved us more than we moved him. We'd try to shoo him to the side of the road and the hateful thing would come after us with his mouth wide open.

Finally a man stopped and asked us what we were trying to do. We told him, he looked around and grabbed a thick sturdy limb, poked the side of it at the turtles mouth and the turtle grabbed hold. He carried it to the side and down the bank, dropped the limb and came back up. Problem solved!!

2DogsFarm
May. 6, 2011, 11:25 AM
Greenie nut....sorry, but this is fanatical, not heroic. The poor fellow with the squished car! Does it strike anyone else as odd that there was a MAN with a squished car and the duckling heroes did not notice until the ducks were taken care of? Or that you are risking your life in a four lane road for ducklings? A little more balance might be in order, yes? I have been known to stop traffic for a turtle and was almost run over getting a stunned cat out of the road, but come on! Glad he was not having a stroke, heart attack or bleeding to death in the car while everyone was running around with ducks.

Umm...while I side with you on the woolybear rescue being a tad bit overkill... :rolleyes:

Please consider that the man who stopped & got smooshed for his effort was probably the first thing anyone checked on before going after the ducklings.
I know if I had come on the scene I would have checked on any drivers/passengers involved before tending to animals.
And in my (unfortunate) experience of being involved in a nasty accident - plenty of bystanders checked on me.

jetsmom
May. 6, 2011, 11:28 AM
Umm...while I side with you on the woolybear rescue being a tad bit overkill... :rolleyes:

Please consider that the man who stopped & got smooshed for his effort was probably the first thing anyone checked on before going after the ducklings.
I know if I had come on the scene I would have checked on any drivers/passengers involved before tending to animals.
And in my (unfortunate) experience of being involved in a nasty accident - plenty of bystanders checked on me.

The garbage truck driver had already checked on him.

suz
May. 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
i am so guilty of holding up traffic for all kinds of critters.
in fact--i knew my dh was the one when we were driving on a newly paved road which ran parallel to the river when a loon swopped down in front of us and tried to land on the road instead of the water.
future dh swerved around him as i screamed pull over--so he did and watched in amazement as i whipped my shirt off and grabbed the stunned loon. got back in the truck and gave him directions to the wildlife rehab guy.
he said nothing until we were done with the loon and than told me i was his hero.
lol, he was a city kid who had never encountered anything like that.

there's also a bil who always tells the same story about me driving and risking everyone's life by swerving into the other lane to avoid a cluster of butterflies.
sheesh, there was miles of visibility and no one was coming. not my fault if he pooped his pants.

Laurierace
May. 6, 2011, 10:24 PM
Many years ago I was driving on a very busy road as described in the OP when I see a mama duck standing inches from the side of the road. Ironically enough in the parking lot as traffic whizzed by inches away. I knew something had to be wrong so I stopped and figured out her babies had fallen into the storm drain. It was very heavily bolted down so I called the DOT who sent out like 8 trucks! There must have been 15 guys helping get the babies out. The drain had about 6 pipes that fed into it so they were coming from all directions. We thought we had them all and were walking away when I heard peeping. They took a string and tied it around one of the babies and lowered into into the manhole and used it as bait to get the last one out.

When all was said and done I had twelve newly hatched ducklings and no Mom as she flew away. I took them home and put them in the shower then got on the phone and found help. Found out from the rehabber I took them to that I could have been fined $1000 each for having them in my possession. Congrats from one duck rescuer from another!

Trakehner
May. 6, 2011, 10:34 PM
I stop for turtles, especially box turtles. I've been running back to get a turtle off the road and had a driver swerve and run over the poor thing.

I hit a bunny once (he just hit his head on the bottom of the car...I stopped and picked him up, keeping him warm. After 10 minutes his bunny eyes opened up...REALLY WIDE! and I let him go. That was one bunny the fox was getting that night.

I did stop one day for a Basset. Tons of traffic and this poor dog was in an intersection scared to death. I stopped, opened the door and yelled, "Well, c'mon girl, get in"...she knew those commands and I had a Basset in my TR6 (they're small cars). She just lay down and went to sleep (waking up for a hamburger to scarf down). Turns out a family lost her a few days before and couldn't stay in the area. They came a week later once they got the news "Brandy" was safe. Very sweet, but gassy--phewee!, dog. I was getting used to her when they showed up.

BasqueMom
May. 7, 2011, 12:05 AM
Small, calico kitten on the side of a back road on a dark November night, traveling the same direction. Yelled to DH to stop, he did, got out, no kitten,
did "here kitty, kitty," she came out of the grass on the side of the road.
Picked her up, wrapped her in a towel and off we went (no house lights in sight), she wiggled part way out of towel and then rode calmly in my lap.

Her name is Groucho (black mustache on one side), she's now nine years old,
and hates to be picked up.

vacation1
May. 7, 2011, 05:10 AM
I was driving to work one morning a few years ago when I nearly ran into the back of the car ahead of me - four lanes of traffic, all stopped so a Canada goose and her goslings could march across the highway... Stupid, really, considering that it's INSANE to stop on a massive road like that and possibly cause a deadly-to-humans accident, but who wants to run over a fluffy baby bird?

Turtles now - I have stopped to help a box turtle across a road but I'm not sure I'd help a snapping turtle. Just too damn big and aggressive. I saw some people moving one off a busy road with a snow shovel once, and the thing was fighting them the whole way.

KayBee
May. 7, 2011, 02:29 PM
Turtles now - I have stopped to help a box turtle across a road but I'm not sure I'd help a snapping turtle. Just too damn big and aggressive. I saw some people moving one off a busy road with a snow shovel once, and the thing was fighting them the whole way.

My mom and I stopped for a snapping turtle once (on a not-highly-traveled back road). Thing was HUGE. And it tipped itself back on it's back legs and HISSED. We were just kind of standing there ensuring that it didn't get hit because we certainly didn't want to get close to it.

Fortunately, 2 guys in a pick-up came by and they had 2x4s that they were able to use to encourage the turtle off the road. Yeah, they thought my mom and I were nuts.

I also stopped traffic to help out a swan that got stuck in the middle of a busy 5-lane road. It was pacing/waddling back and forth looking very distressed. Pulled into the middle/turning/"5th" lane, stopped, got out, waved traffic to a halt and chased it to the side of the road. Was nervous, too, because swans can also be nasty. Made myself huge and flapped my arms and.... gave the motorists watching a good laugh.

[note re: safety. It was possible to stop safely in the turning lane without blocking traffic AND there was a traffic light within a block. I wasn't running around in the middle of a major superhighway...]

In other fowl-related news, I'm worried/sad because the 2 mallards that had been visiting every morning didn't stop by today. (Initially attracted by the bird seed underneath the feeder, Ms. Mallard had taken to sitting on the back step as of 7am with her beak practically pressed to the sliding glass door.) I hope she's started nesting and that the agitated quacking I heard last night doesn't portend Bad Things. :(

And I, um, also rescue worms stranded on the sidewalk after a rain. :lol:

My2cents
May. 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
yup have stopped for snappers (somehow they don't seem AT ALL thankful for the assistence ;) ) also, on our way out to dinner, the hubby and i saw a flopping fur ball in the middle of the road. as we got closer, i could see it was a wild bunny. from the way it was flopping, i knew it was on it's last life. luckily, a emerg vet clinic was on our way to the restaurant. so, i scooped up poor bunny in my sweater and just let it calm down. the second i handed it over to the tech at the vet clinic, she nearly dropped it because the fleas were abandoning the now lifeless body. the tech asked me if i had any fleas on me and not a one. i like to think the bunny stayed alive just long enough to have a comforting ending and to keep the fleas to his/herself.

marta
May. 7, 2011, 03:53 PM
so glad someone else did, too.
i've been in your shoes before.
canadian geese are hatching here. they not only nest in most dangerous places (next to a 6 lane highway) but then, to make it more entertaining, cross the road twice a day with their goslings... honestly, i hate this time of year b/c of that.

and then turtle crossing season comes and gotta look out for them. and after that fawns start darting across the roads. really, it's endless.

and while i've heard my SO yell at me for running out into the road to save some critter, i've also seen him race down the road to scoop up a giant dinosaur-like turtle to safety. :yes:

Calamber
May. 7, 2011, 07:09 PM

Sorry, if you read her story, it was only after the ducks were in the milk crate that she noticed the man. That is what I thought was a little off. The woolybear savior said her trainer was driving a SIX HORSE TRAILER fully loaded. That is more than a tad bit off.

crosscreeksh
May. 7, 2011, 10:34 PM
Good for you saving the little ducks...I would have,too!! I rescued a chicken that had fallen out of a transport truck headed to the packing plant. It was stunned, road rash burned and VERY cold. DD begged me to wait until after the school bus had picked her up and departed, but I grabbed the cold, injured chicken, placed it in the back of the warm car and it let out this big chicken "sigh"!! He recovered and became a farm favorite...I named him "Nugget" as in Chicken...... When he became overly obsessed with my JRT's - the closest thing to a chicken on a race horse farm....(when the JRT's chased a ball, Nugget chased the JRT's), I gave him to someone with a small flock of laying hens!!! Did you know male roasting chickens are sterile?? After molesting all of the hens for an extended period it was deemed that he was shooting blanks!!!

Hope the rescued ducks do well.

alto
May. 7, 2011, 11:51 PM
The woolybear savior said her trainer was driving a SIX HORSE TRAILER fully loaded. That is more than a tad bit off.

I brake for those too - definitely do NOT want a "wooly bear (http://www.ontariobearhunting.ca/sscimages/animals/bear/BlackBear1_1.jpg)" coming through my windshield :eek: :eek: :eek:

Crooked Horse
May. 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
What a great adventure - hooray for the 4 ducklings but so sad for mom and dead duckling :no:

It didn't take my boss tooooo long to figure out that the ONLY time I am ever late in the morning or back from lunch will involve an animal (generally the picking up of said animal from the side of the road) of some sort. ;)

chai
May. 8, 2011, 05:11 PM
I stop for turtles, too. I just replenished my rubber gloves in each car for spring turtles. I once had to move a snapper with my brother's hockey stick and gloves. A man who stopped to help told me the big ones can take off a finger, they're so strong.
It's nice to know there are other people out there who care.

wildlifer
May. 8, 2011, 05:39 PM
driving and risking everyone's life by swerving into the other lane to avoid a cluster of butterflies.
sheesh, there was miles of visibility and no one was coming. not my fault if he pooped his pants.

ROFL, this made me laugh really hard.

THANK YOU to all of you who go out of your way to help wildlife. They don't stand a chance with us chopping their habitats to bits with roads, etc. Wildlife biology is such a depressing field to work in, but it gives me great hope to hear so many encouraging stories.

I ALWAYS stop to help and damned straight I will block traffic with my truck if I need to. It takes me one minute to get a turtle off the road, folks can just be patient.

If you do come across a snapping turtle and you don't have any tools to use, a firm grip on both back legs, or for smaller ones, on the tail and you can carry them to safety without getting "snapped." Just remember -- carry the turtle well out from your body so they don't get a piece of leg for your trouble. You just have to be quick and confident about it -- they are stressed and defending themselves with the only weapon they have but fortunately, their necks are only so long.

Keep it up, good COTHers!! :D:D

JSwan
May. 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
You know, I think I'll just keep carrying a stick in my truck, but thanks for the advice. :lol: I'm too clumsy to muck about picking up a snapping turtle by hand. They're pretty fast.

I shoveled this one into my pond.

If you do come across a snapping turtle and you don't have any tools to use, a firm grip on both back legs, or for smaller ones, on the tail and you can carry them to safety without getting "snapped." Just remember -- carry the turtle well out from your body so they don't get a piece of leg for your trouble. You just have to be quick and confident about it -- they are stressed and defending themselves with the only weapon they have but fortunately, their necks are only so long.

Keep it up, good COTHers!! :D:D

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 8, 2011, 07:31 PM
I brake for those too - definitely do NOT want a "wooly bear (http://www.ontariobearhunting.ca/sscimages/animals/bear/BlackBear1_1.jpg)" coming through my windshield :eek: :eek: :eek:

:lol::lol::lol:

wildlifer
May. 8, 2011, 08:04 PM
Awwwe, thanks for the photos, JSwan. I love me some snappers, despite their attitude. Maybe because of their attitude. I was always a sucker for a hard luck case and I find them fascinating.

sdlbredfan
May. 8, 2011, 08:09 PM
Awwwe, thanks for the photos, JSwan. I love me some snappers, despite their attitude. Maybe because of their attitude. I was always a sucker for a hard luck case and I find them fascinating.

I have never seen one, hope I never do but I love the way CoTH has educational info on just about any topic! I found this in Wikipedia, that says not to pick it up by the tail as that could injure its spine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle

bayou_bengal
May. 8, 2011, 10:10 PM
OP- I think what you did for those little ducks was wonderful. Too bad about their mother and siblings.

I stop for any living thing in the road, even snakes and turtles- snapping or otherwise, but box turtles are special.

The strangest animal I even saw in the road was a young river otter who got confused duing high water in the river. After padding down the centerline with me behind it with my hazard lights on, it suddently turned and darted into the roadside ditch, which it rode back to the river.

Once after dark during deer season, I found myself suddenly surrounded by about 20 leaping and jumping whitetail deer. Sure enough, right behind them came a couple of determined deer dogs that just refused to give up the chase.

I have also stopped for birds, bull frogs, toads and a migration of about a hundred or sow crawfish that all must have decided the ditch on the other side of the road was better- all about the same time.

Just, this Thursday morning, I stopped in a construction zone for a very bewildered and obviously lost Jack Russell Terrier. The men on the job sid he had been dodging cars and trucks since the afternoon before.

Dog was obviously a pet because he jumped right in my truck when I opened the door and told him "Get in." His tail is docked and he was neutered. He is wearing a collar, and knows several basic commands. AND he is crate trained. He not as hyper as most JRTs I've met. I hope his owners see my signs up around town, and call to claim him.

I have cats and have heard that JRTs and cats don't mix well. I can't believe someone isn't heartsick at his lossl and is looking for this very nice dog. I passed out my card to the construction workers working on a longterm project to widen the highway in case his owners come around, but so far no calls.

jetsmom
May. 9, 2011, 01:15 AM
I'm enjoying everyone's stories of animal rescue from roads.

Bayou bengal- Hope the owner shows up. If they do, require that they bring an ID tag for his collar, in order to get him back.

You might also want to take him to a vet to ck for a microchip.

alto
May. 9, 2011, 02:32 AM
I have cats and have heard that JRTs and cats don't mix well.

Tell that to the JRT who came everyday to play with my cats :lol: :yes:

Every dog is an individual of course but I've heard of other JRT's that are equally cat socialized - hopefully this guy finds his way back home.

wildlifer
May. 9, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have never seen one, hope I never do but I love the way CoTH has educational info on just about any topic! I found this in Wikipedia, that says not to pick it up by the tail as that could injure its spine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle

If it was a big heavy one, it could, I just do that for the smaller ones. They show no problems crawling/swimming/digging away from me and always better than getting smashed by a truck!

Mozart
May. 9, 2011, 03:11 PM
Aw, good for you. Right now so many Canada Geese are foolishly nesting in ditches right by busy roads it is just heartbreaking to see the carnage. Our local humane society has posted signs on the sides of roads where there are the most geese but people still drive like idiots.

A couple of years ago I was driving home and a lone gosling survived a mad dash across the road into an industrial parking lot. So I stopped to try and round him up. Another guy, driving a semi truck and trailer no less, pulled over and working together we rounded up gosling. Then stood scratching our heads about what to do with him. We noticed there was a flock of geese in a field next to the industrial park. So we carry gosling over and release him and he runs to the other geese. They, however, are running away from him and are clearly not interested. We realize we can't leave him with this group of non nesting geese...so we now have to catch him a second time...in a wide open field. We finally catch him and I volunteer to take him home to try to decide what to do with him. I drove around a bit to see if I could find his family but had no luck.

We called him George and he spent the evening with us padding around the house, checking it all out. And pooping like a goose (and annoying the cats who had to spend the night locked in the bathroom). He spent the night in our bedroom, in a large rubbermaid bin with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and some fresh grass. He made quite a bit of noise at first (which DH complained about until I reminded him that his loud snoring was probably keeping the gosling awake).

Next day George was taken in a cat crate to the local humane society where he was picked up by the wildlife rehab centre.

Of course, two days later I am driving in the same area come across a pair of geese with a huge flock of goslings...at least George had a better shot at life...every time I saw George's family that spring there were fewer goslings. :(

PiaffePlease
May. 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
Good for you. Im always the one that stops traffic to help the turtle cross the road. My husband acts like he doesnt know me either. :lol:

Kryswyn
May. 9, 2011, 07:28 PM
Just, this Thursday morning, I stopped in a construction zone for a very bewildered and obviously lost Jack Russell Terrier. The men on the job sid he had been dodging cars and trucks since the afternoon before.

Dog was obviously a pet because he jumped right in my truck when I opened the door and told him "Get in." His tail is docked and he was neutered. He is wearing a collar, and knows several basic commands. AND he is crate trained. He not as hyper as most JRTs I've met. I hope his owners see my signs up around town, and call to claim him.

I have cats and have heard that JRTs and cats don't mix well. I can't believe someone isn't heartsick at his lossl and is looking for this very nice dog. I passed out my card to the construction workers working on a longterm project to widen the highway in case his owners come around, but so far no calls.

If you haven't been contacted yet, please log on to www.therealjackrussell.com and get him listed on the "FOUND" dog page. (There's also a "LOST" page if anyone's lost theirs). If you read some of the accounts you'll see some of the happy endings, many times the dogs are miles, counties, even states away from their owners. On behalf of all the jacks, thank you!

Kryswyn
May. 9, 2011, 07:35 PM
In VA I always braked (and then escorted) turtles across whatever road it was. Really, how can you not?

But really I'm a dog rescuer. From the peekapoo hit on the side of the road who cost me $150 @ the vet (thankfully reimbursed by the owners 4 days later), to the galumping boxer who jumped in the van despite the smack talk from my crated alpha male jack, to the beagle I thought was dead, but as I passed I heard a moan. I loaded her on a a piece of board, found a collar with tag, called the owner and at 9:00 at night met me at a nearby McDonalds. Oh, and the dumped pitbull, and shepard/chow mix. I will stop traffic, do anything necessary to help our animal friends.

bayou_bengal
May. 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
If you haven't been contacted yet, please log on to www.therealjackrussell.com and get him listed on the "FOUND" dog page. (There's also a "LOST" page if anyone's lost theirs). If you read some of the accounts you'll see some of the happy endings, many times the dogs are miles, counties, even states away from their owners. On behalf of all the jacks, thank you!

I have placed an ad in the paper, posted signs, etc. Had one gentleman call, but it was not his JRT that I found- I hope he does find his. His is an older dog with brown speckles on his white ears. This one looks to be pretty young and has brown ears.

Meanwhile "Jack" has made himself at home. He is well-mannered and is obviously used to being crated at night. He shows interest in the cats, but I keep him on a leash when we pass through their territory in the house.

I just can't understand how someone could have gone to the expense and trouble of neutering a dog and then not microchipped him or at least made sure he had a tag on his collar.

theoldgreymare
May. 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
Did a similar thing once. We live in the land of Tyson and Perdue and it is not uncommon for chickens to fall out of crates onto the highway while on the semi's. We spotted two live ones on the highway and I screamed to DH "TURN AROUND". Reluctantly, he did and we made a frantic rescue effort and manged to save one (other was hit while we turned around). No idea what to do with it, I took it to the SPCA where a dear woman, bless her heart, said to me "Shug, Perdue is up the street, take it there". Take it there and do what, ask where their lost and found is? I was so pissed.....anyway, we found a local sanctuary for birds and it is a happy resident there. When I think back it was pretty stupid to risk my neck to save a bird that was born to die anyway but that is my nature.

Hinderella
May. 11, 2011, 03:48 PM
I've rescued many turtles, a rabbit, and once a small family of baby possums whose mother had been hit by a car & killed. They were still hanging on her back. I couldn't find any rescue places to take them, but checked with my sister, who's a wildlife biologist, and she said they were actually old enough to be on their own, so I released them and prayed for the best.
I pulled over once to pick up a turtle and walk him back to his pond, and as I was carrying the turtle, and talking to him (of course, telling him to stay out of the road), a trucker going by was laughing hard and probably snorting his coffee.

Guin
May. 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
Glad the duckies are doing well! Wood ducks are so pretty, and much less common than the mallards.

Alex and Bodie's Mom
May. 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
I almost missed my HS graduation because I had to rescue baby ducks! Mom and Dad were none too pleased -- oh well! I, too, stop for everything and have lost count of how many turtles I've rescued.

The coolest thing, though, was driving to work one day and passing something sitting by the side of the road -- I blinked, and thought,"Hmm, that looks like an owl." I'd never seen a real owl except in the Harry Potter movies, so I wasn't sure, but I turned around and went back -- and sure enough, he was sitting on the side of the road, his beak a little skinned up. I wrapped a jacket around him and took him to my vet, who kept him for a day and then released him. Just stunned! :)

BTW, to the original poster -- did you get a name/number for the driver of the car who first stopped!? :D