PDA

View Full Version : What bit me??

In the Air
May. 5, 2011, 10:50 PM
Okay so I was at the barn today and felt an itchy spot right above my left knee. I rubbed it through my jeans and it felt like a mosquito bite, no big deal.
I got home and looked at it and it was a small bump, red and itchy. At the same time I also found on my behind, thank you very much, a tick bite. I know it is a tick bite because it still had the offending little creep hanging on. So I assumed the bite above my knee was it's first stop for a snack.
I have big reactions to tick bites so I figured I would be itching for days. Next morning bum seems typical but leg bite has turned into a huge blister, big and painful. Size of an eraser end of a pencil. Not pretty but big and full of blister stuff. Ignored it.

Next morning the same, took a hot shower and popped it open. stuck on some triple antibiotic ointment and a bandaid and went on my merry way. Noticed that my jeans seemed a bit stiff over the bandaid during the day. Now this evening I uncovered it and the thing is still oozing serum. Gross. There does not seem to be any infection spreading. Only the bite is itchy and a bit reddish. Bite on bum seems to be doing the normal tick bite route, (as far as I can see).:eek:

What bit or stung me? Tick or a spider maybe?

jetsmom
May. 5, 2011, 11:26 PM
I'd vote for spider.

Alagirl
May. 6, 2011, 01:10 AM
yep, I'd guess spider, too.

Have it checked out, those things can get nasty.

Bugs-n-Frodo
May. 6, 2011, 01:25 AM
Spider!

*rydarab*
May. 6, 2011, 03:29 AM
Get it checked! It may become infected and get larger.

In the Air
May. 6, 2011, 07:53 AM
Thats what I was afraid of. I have never been bitten by a spider before. It doesn't seem to be getting bigger or redder just keeps oozing... gross

chai
May. 6, 2011, 08:05 AM
In the air, make sure you circle both bites with a ballpoint pen so you can determine if any red area shows up around them. My pediatrician gave me that great advice when my daughter was bitten by a tick that gave her Lyme disease.

Watch those bites carefully. We have tons of ticks here and they are a nightmare. If they're on you, they're on your horses. I use Equispot on mine because those tick borne illnesses are really tough.

AnotherRound
May. 6, 2011, 08:09 AM
Spider. Sometimes the bite is bigger or worse or itchier a week later, so keep after it - venom from some, some just inject or pass along nasty bacteria - either way, you may need help debriding the wound so it heals and doesn't keep festering, which it is...yuck.

ReSomething
May. 6, 2011, 10:49 AM
Gee, I'd say a chigger. Same presentation, big blister that oozes and itches like crazy for a few days. Antihistamines and something like calamine lotion might help.
Ick.
My cats keep bringing home ticks and I found a big fat one on the old ASB the other day, up in the fold of skin at the stifle. He let me know in no uncertain terms there was an Itch there, that's how I found it.

Hope it gets better soon!

ladybugred
May. 6, 2011, 10:56 AM
Spider.

I had four spider bites on my hand, must bitten me while I was sleeping, took 9 months to heal. No lie! Even then there was still a red spot for a month or so longer.

LBR

mellsmom
May. 6, 2011, 11:12 AM
Do a web search. They are hideous!!!!! They can also cause huge oozing puss filled lumps on your horse.
On the even more promising side, they can carry erlichia.

Most of the time you can actually feel the little bastards bite you. For the treatment of horses I advocate a good cleansing with betadine scrub and slathering the bite with Tea Tree ADE Ointment.
For you, I personally get great satisfaction by opening the blister up and rubbing alcohol on it with a 4 x4. The sting over powers the itch for at least a few minutes.
Also good on things that itch is Pramegel.

wendy
May. 6, 2011, 12:22 PM
do you have big black horse flies? I've had horrible huge reactions to horse fly bites.

ddb
May. 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
OK Could be any biting thing, but this time of year be careful about spider bites. If you've move things around it could be a brown recluse. They prefer to hide, but their bites are bad news. Look up it's bite on the internet and if you are in an area that has them. If you suspect see a Dr.

kaluha2
May. 7, 2011, 10:12 PM
I have to go to the hospital on Wednesday for blood work from a bite of some sort. I am now on 2 different antibiotics and the doc is not sure if this is a brown recluse bite or from a tick. I had a fever and did upchuck and started to feel stiff in my joints. I have had this bite for almost 2 months. It has been very swollen, sore, and oozed the most awful stuff. It is better now with the anti-biotics.

I hope this is not lyme disease from a flippin tick.

Anyway, I hope you feel better and have it checked out. It could be any type of an insect/spider/tick bite.

In the Air
May. 7, 2011, 10:15 PM
Great, it has stopped oozing for the most part but still gross. I did feel a bit stiff in a few joints today but I figured I was getting old for non stop horse shows... I will go in on Monday if it is not a whole lot better.

Beethoven
May. 8, 2011, 12:06 AM
I react to fire ant bites badly. Swell up and get a blister/pimple like thing. It will ooze some after it burst and itches like crazy.

Guessing thats not your case...

In the Air
May. 11, 2011, 09:43 PM
The bite is much better so I went and sliced open my thumb (knuckle through the middle of nail) with a saw blade. Ouch!! The spider bite quit hurting after that. Got a tetnus shot and a you are a bonehead lecture...

Heart's Journey
May. 12, 2011, 12:28 PM
Brown recluse spider bites can be life threatening. Co-worker got bit (didn't see it, but it is assumed from the damage) that it was a brown recluse.

She spent about 10 days in the hospital, went home with antibiotics on a drip for 2 months, had more surgeries to try and heal the wound on her leg. She showed us her leg and said they didn't think it would get much better. I have to tell you, the end result is a not pretty. Her lower leg is huge with scar tissue, swelling, etc very ugly, but she's alive.

She won't be wearing shorts probably ever again in her life...

MeghanDACVA
May. 12, 2011, 03:58 PM
I would vote for brown recluse bite. I know, in theory, they can be "life threatening" but that is uncommon. I got bit by one (or so we assume) several years ago on the front of my shin. Got bigger and bigger to the size of a quarter, took it forever to heal then left a darker scar area for about a year.

I don't do tick bites well either. Got one on me a couple of months ago and the darned spot is still there and still itches.

GatoGordo
May. 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
Brown recluses are almost never found in SC, but there are other spider species - for example, the widespread yellow sac spider - which can cause minor necrotic reactions, as well as tick bites as mentioned above and non-arachnid causes.

A bit OT, but I was amused by this incident a couple years ago. I am 99% sure that what happened is that I got a mosquito bite on the back of my hand that became infected. I had been swatting mosquitoes left and right on my hands and arms, and I was on oral prednisone for an asthma flare-up. A dime-sized area on my hand turned red, then turned into an open ulcer with some radiating red streaks by the time I got to see the doctor a few days later. He looked at it and told me it looked like I had gotten bitten by a spider (then gave me antibiotics). BTW, from what I understand, it's common for patients with soft tissue infections from things like MRSA to show up at their doctor thinking that they were bitten by a spider, so I guess this was just the reverse. I'm not it applies to you, I was just amused.

CVPeg
May. 13, 2011, 07:04 PM
The bite is much better so I went and sliced open my thumb (knuckle through the middle of nail) with a saw blade. Ouch!! The spider bite quit hurting after that. Got a tetnus shot and a you are a bonehead lecture...

Not that you want to run right back and visit your fav doctor, but did you let them know about the tick?

I had one on my back last year, had it removed at the doc's and had to get an antibiotic shot to prevent Lyme disease. You don't want that as a possibility...