PDA

View Full Version : NO PARKING, RIGHT UP NEXT TO THE BARN! Is it too much to ask? (Bit of a rant)

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 06:57 PM
Okay, I never had this problem before, with my former BM (who was a bit of a control freak).
But seriously, I've got TONS of parking spots in my front yard, for cars, trucks, trailers etc... Yet people INSIST on parking RIGHT NEXT TO my barn!!! Right where there are horses and riders milling about.
I just painted a railroad tie with "PARKING HERE" on it, where people ought to park. A lady coming to ride even stopped to talk to me while I was painting it AND SHE STILL DROVE BACK TO THE BARN TO PARK!!!!!!!
WTF???
How do I impress upon my new BM and customers that they need to park in the yard? That it is unsafe to park right up by the barn?
BTW parking in my yard means a 100-200 second walk to the barn!

coloredhorse
May. 5, 2011, 07:06 PM
It sounds like you rent the barn to someone (BM) who runs a boarding operation? Have you told the BM that parking by the barn is forbidden and that parking is permitted only in the area designated? Have you spoken to the clients themselves as you find them "in violation?"

For instance, the woman you mentioned who spoke to you while you were painting the sign: Did you go to the barn and tell her that she needed to move her car to the designated parking, that parking is not allowed by the barn?

If not, that would be Step One. If you don't tell people otherwise, they will assume what they are doing is OK.

If you have spoken with people, perhaps take a look at how you have addressed the problem. Perhaps you need to state very plainly: "BM, I don't think I have been clear before. I do not want people parking by the barn. You and your clients are allowed to park only in the area I have designated. Please make sure that parking by the barn stops now. Thank you"

And if you actually see someone yourself, say something at the time: "Betty, I think I have been unclear on this before, but you must move your car to the designated parking. Parking by the barn is not allowed. Yes, please move your car now. Thank you."

Your reasons are irrelevant. (I personally have seen parking by barns with no safety issues, but I do not know your layout, and it doesn't matter; your property, your rules!) You do not need to justify yourself. You own the property. If this is how you want things done, just calmly insist, smile and correct any "errors" that occur.

mvp
May. 5, 2011, 07:36 PM
Okay, I never had this problem before, with my former BM (who was a bit of a control freak).
But seriously, I've got TONS of parking spots in my front yard, for cars, trucks, trailers etc... Yet people INSIST on parking RIGHT NEXT TO my barn!!! Right where there are horses and riders milling about.
I just painted a railroad tie with "PARKING HERE" on it, where people ought to park. A lady coming to ride even stopped to talk to me while I was painting it AND SHE STILL DROVE BACK TO THE BARN TO PARK!!!!!!!
WTF???
How do I impress upon my new BM and customers that they need to park in the yard? That it is unsafe to park right up by the barn?
BTW parking in my yard means a 100-200 second walk to the barn!

You explain *why* this is a big deal: Because a fuel tank next to a barn makes a fire into a cotton pickin' inferno. Then you get serious about it and create some consequences.

A friend of mine managed Stanford's Red Barn years ago. Parking was next to the main barn. The rule was you left your keys in the ignition. If she walked out there and didn't see your keys, she'd hunt you down, pull you off your horse if necessary and make you move your car. She took no crap from anyone about this and boarders who "got it" helped newbs get on board with the program.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, I am renting the barn and facilities to a new BM. He is such a sweetheart that I try to not be a bitch about things. But then things get my bloodpressure so high that I feel like I'm about to explode.
I feel that I've been clear with the BM, but I need to assert myself with his customers if he wont control them. The way my barn is set up it is surrounded by paddocks. There is room for trucks to come unload feed and hay, but only when no riders are present IMO.
Thank you Coloredhorse. I will do as you suggest.
I could use some more ammo in terms of why I don't think it's safe to have parked cars around my barn. Just a few days ago there was a post from someone who had some idiot park next to her fractious horse and when the horse impacted the car the car owner wanted ins info. I could see the same sort of thing happening here, or worse, a horse and rider impacting a car and the rider being injured!

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
You explain *why* this is a big deal: Because a fuel tank next to a barn makes a fire into a cotton pickin' inferno. Then you get serious about it and create some consequences.

A friend of mine managed Stanford's Red Barn years ago. Parking was next to the main barn. The rule was you left your keys in the ignition. If she walked out there and didn't see your keys, she'd hunt you down, pull you off your horse if necessary and make you move your car. She took no crap from anyone about this and boarders who "got it" helped newbs get on board with the program.

Thank You!!

ReSomething
May. 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
You don't need to justify having boarders park in certain spots. It's your property and your rules. If you really want, stripe the area off as a fire lane or loading zone, but it's still your place and your rules.

saddleup
May. 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
I was just going to say the same thing. It's your barn, your rules. If someone questions why just say "Because I say so and it's my barn." End of story.

Yours is the only opinion that counts!

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
You don't need to justify having boarders park in certain spots. It's your property and your rules. If you really want, stripe the area off as a fire lane or loading zone, but it's still your place and your rules.

Thank you, good advice.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 08:08 PM
I was just going to say the same thing. It's your barn, your rules. If someone questions why just say "Because I say so and it's my barn." End of story.

Yours is the only opinion that counts!

Bless you :). In this economy I am nervous about scaring people off LOL.

Phaxxton
May. 5, 2011, 08:30 PM
In addition to what everyone else said (with which I agree), I would also be sure to be consistent. EVERY time you see someone park next to the barn, go to them and make them move their car immediately. Tell them they cannot ever park there, and show them where they are to always park. Then tell the BM that you saw this person parking next to the barn and told them where to park. Explain to BM every time that he must make sure clients park ONLY in the designated parking area. If it is your property and those are the rules, I wouldn't hesitate to let BM's clients know directly when they are breaking the rules.

Phaxxton
May. 5, 2011, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't. People tend to respond to reasonable rules, so long as they are professionally and consistently enforced. When I used to board, what bothered me most of all was when rules were inconsistently enforced (i.e., playing favorites or the rules changed based on the BO's mood). Rules themselves, so long as they were reasonable and clear, didn't bother me.

coloredhorse
May. 5, 2011, 08:32 PM
As everyone else has said, you don't have to justify yourself. You don't want parking by the barn, therefore it isn't allowed.

Offering explanations just opens up the conversation for argument about why thus-and-so is a special circumstance. Keep it simple. No parking by the barn. Period. Because I said so. (All said with a charming smile, of course.)

And it's not "bitchy" to clearly state what the rules are and insist that they are followed. It's professional.

Phaxxton also makes an excellent point about consistency.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 08:40 PM
Thank you guys, very much.
In one particular case, yesterday, when I drove up to the barn with a round roll and found FOUR cars/minivans parked around the front (and in my way to deliver the hay) I was informed by the BM's dear friend that one car owner HAD to park there because she was too large to walk up to the barn to get her daughter. I didn't want to be impolite and suggest that the daughter was in fine shape to walk anywhere she liked. Plus they were thinking about summer camp, which is always a good money maker for the year.
I need to learn how to keep my tone of voice and words polite and professional. (So far, I just try to avoid the public unless I have something nice to say LOL)
Now that everyone is gone I can drive up to my own barn and deliver the feed in the back of my truck LOL.

Laurierace
May. 5, 2011, 08:41 PM

I can't for the life of me figure this one out. Was the plan if the car burst into flames that she would get in the car and move it away from the barn? That can't be it. Explain please.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 08:44 PM
And yes, I can see that consistency would be necessary for enforcement.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 08:45 PM
I can't for the life of me figure this one out. Was the plan if the car burst into flames that she would get in the car and move it away from the barn? That can't be it. Explain please.

I'm thinking that if the barn caught fire then the fuel tanks on wheels could be moved away.

Laurierace
May. 5, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking that if the barn caught fire then the fuel tanks on wheels could be moved away.

I believe I would be more concerned with rescuing any horses inside than rearranging the parking lot in such an emergency.

VCT
May. 5, 2011, 08:51 PM
How about a sign in front of the barn that says: NO PARKING in front of the barn. Please park in the parking lot out front. No exceptions. Thank you.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 09:09 PM
I believe I would be more concerned with rescuing any horses inside than rearranging the parking lot in such an emergency.

You wanted to know the thinking behind the post. There it is! This thread is not about how one would deal with a barn fire!

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 09:10 PM
How about a sign in front of the barn that says: NO PARKING in front of the barn. Please park in the parking lot out front. No exceptions. Thank you.

I just painted and placed one :). Thank you. (I will paint a second sign with the details tomorrow)

katarine
May. 5, 2011, 10:09 PM
be careful about witchy signs or too many signs. You'll come across as crazeee.

If it's all grass around the barn, what you consider to be 'obviously the parking area...' isn't. A line of cross ties so you can point out, please park by the cross ties, etc...

If bigun's kid comes to camp, does this mean she gets to park in the aisleway? I didn't think so. Maybe you need more structures in place to make parking the right way, obvious. Meaning a semi circle of big planters (http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?Ntt=planter&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&N=0) with one gap that is Jussst wide enough to let YOU back in, or the farrier, etc...moveable if needed, but a visual UH-UH DO-DO BIRD for the visitors.

Zarafia
May. 5, 2011, 10:27 PM
I look at my barn and I see a safe distance between it and the surrounding fencelines, with space for trucks to deliver feed and hay. No parking lot.
Now, my yard, on the other hand, is big and open, with (what I consider) obvious parking spots.
I see what you mean about going nuts with signs. I never needed ANY before! So I'm thinking I'll go with my simple "Parking Here" on the railroad ties where I want folks to park and my simple and tasteful "No Parking" 3' fenceboard at the front corner of the barn.
Thanks again guys.
(Goodness knows I don't need this to turn into a "Who's fault is this accident?" thread LOL, lets keep this under a hundred posts!)

Luckydonkey
May. 6, 2011, 09:11 AM
I would get some orange traffic cones, and put them across the driveway where you do not want people to park.Run a string across the top of them and put a sign there that says no parking... BUT- you also need to lable that you do not want the driveway blocked either- for safety reasons, as well as delivery reasons... Once you make the barn area off limits, they will be forced to park elsewhere...

Hilary
May. 6, 2011, 09:50 AM
I was also going to suggest traffic cones. And I have given up on the parking issue at my house. I don't board, but people come visit. And I am always baffled that they will park in one of 2 places. Smack in the middle of the driveway (semi-circle) so no one else can manuever. Or blocking the drive that goes to our outbuildings (That we use regularly and this drive is the only access to that yard. There is plenty of space to park a car so it will not be in the way of anything.

No attempt to pull up close to the edge/side, so others (like our cars that are already parked) could come or go, or thought about "gee, if I leave my car here, no one can go down to that area". This has been going on for decades so I have decided there is some kind of force field at the edge of the road that causes the common sense part of your brain to disengage.

Luckydonkey
May. 6, 2011, 10:30 AM
I also wanted to suggest that if you have a tractor, you could always threaten that you will move their car out of the way with your tractor if you can't get in with the hay truck. lol.

CatOnLap
May. 6, 2011, 10:48 AM
hahah Katarine "CRAZEE SIGN LADEE"

A sign that says "firelane" "commerical loading zone" or "staff access only" in the area, is a little friendlier than "no parking", but I think parking signs are for idiots who can't think beyond their own desires. That said, there are plenty of those entitled sorts around and unfortunately they don't read signs either!

The reason I no longe rmanage boarding barns is because these sorts of things would make my blood boil and tempt me to move the car with the tractor bucket...

caffeinated
May. 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe you need more structures in place to make parking the right way, obvious. Meaning a semi circle of big planters (http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?Ntt=planter&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&N=0) with one gap that is Jussst wide enough to let YOU back in, or the farrier, etc...moveable if needed, but a visual UH-UH DO-DO BIRD for the visitors.

That's kind of what I was thinking - maybe those big wooden barrels, used as planters?

Attractive, and they keep people from parking too close to the barn.

fordtraktor
May. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM
I would planter/rope/temporary fence/etc. it off, something that is easy to move for your truck but not to just drive through. It will cause you 60 seconds of annoyance when you need to drive to the barn, but they won't go through it. They will drive right past a sign.

Really, someone is too big to walk 200 feet? But can still fit in a car to drive?

furlong47
May. 6, 2011, 03:50 PM

Wow, that would be a HUGE deal breaker for me. My car is locked 99% of the time - if I can't see it or I'm not standing right by it. No one but myself and my mechanic drives my car anyway, period, no exceptions. I'd sure as hell not be leaving it sit around unlocked with keys in the ignition waiting for someone to come along and swipe it.

If you don't want people parking in a certain area, either block the area off or put up no parking signs.

sarah v
May. 6, 2011, 04:04 PM
Have BM send out a very explicit, simple and easy to read ;) parking plan along with next months invoices to the boarders explaining where to park and where not to park and thanking everyone in advance for their cooperation in the matter :cool:

akor
May. 8, 2011, 01:37 PM
Boarder and former BM perspective here, so I fear my post will not be well received.

BUT, whenever I see a BO in such a state of frenzy over something, 1. either they are of the crazy (remember, boarder/BM perspective here, I know there are crazy boarders out there too) BO type and there's nothing to be done about it...2. Or there's something else going on and issue x is really just the catalyst for a mini-meltdown.

Particularly when they appear to be upset about something (based on the caps in the post) that they seemed to rely on word of mouth to get out or think people will read their minds about.

If it were that important to, seem like suggestions such as signs and blocking it off would probably have occurred to you already.

I just suspect it's worth examining to see if there's an underlying issue. Because, if there is, and you don't fix that, having the parking change won't fix it.

If there aren't other issues, and this IS your ONLY one, I would just let it go...really..otherwise, you may open the gates to the ugly underworld of BO hell....as, I stated above, there are boarders who do crazier stuff than park by the barn...

Good luck. I would have more advice, except I often failed at getting the message to pick up your own poop in the aisles through to some....;)

Do you have regular boarder meetings? Say once a month? Do you have a set of rules that people sign that they have read (of course, they may not truly read them..).

wildlifer
May. 8, 2011, 05:45 PM
Ummm, simple "No Parking" signs where you don't want people to park seem to be a really obvious solution to me. When did traffic direction signs suddenly fall into the "offensive" category. It's your property, you can have cars parked where you dang well want, and it sounds like there is plenty of space NOT next to the barn. I see a simple resolution with aforementioned signs.

JanM
May. 8, 2011, 06:23 PM
The problem with simple No Parking signs is to some people that means not them, and that they should be the exception to the rule. And let's face it, most of us have pet peeves or deal breakers and I bet this is the OP's. I bet no matter what there will always be someone who breaks the rules. I think in the future that the parking and other problem items should be in the initial rental contract, and I bet they will be from now on.

atr
May. 8, 2011, 11:25 PM
Seems like a lot of drama about nothing to me. Send out a note with next month's invoices explaining where you would like people to park, put up "no parking" signs on the barn, maybe designate a handicapped spot by the barn for the grandmas and infirm, and it will be clear to all.

Sometimes, I like to drive up to the barn to drop off tack or feed or something. As far as I'm aware I'm not PO'ing anyone, but as no-one has said anything, I guess I don't know...

You don't tell 'em, in simple, non-elliptical terms, they won't know and it's not their fault.

karlymacrae
May. 9, 2011, 04:42 AM
Get the flares!! http://www.tinyURL.com/3slam5y

crewgirl34
May. 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
A boarding barn close to us had a major mass exodus, and many of them moved to my barn. They were smokers, and thought it was ok to smoke in the barn (I know, WTF!?!). The BO had a nice little chat with them and No Smoking signs were placed in and around the barn. Smokers decided that the signs didn't apply to the indoor (connected to the barn), and continued to smoke (and dispose of their butts) in the indoor. Finally BO came up and YELLED at the main instigator in the middle of a full barn. I have never seen the BO lose his temper. It finally did the trick though.

So, yeah, if some people can't figure out that smoking in a barn is a bad idea, I can see how a parking issue could make you pull out your hair.

I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

morganpony86
May. 9, 2011, 01:18 PM

Instead of "Parking Here" signs where you want them to park, I'd put up "NO PARKING" signs where you don't want them to park. If they do, have their vehicle towed at their expense and I bet that will be the last time they do it.

Zarafia
May. 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks again, guys.
Being able to "rant" here keeps me from going off on the boarders and trainer LOL.
Yes, some people feel that the rules don't apply to them, and I'm partially to blame for that because I do try and make the customers feel "special". I've had to make an exception already for a lady with a badly sprained ankle. And I just bit my tongue the other day for one girl who drove back to the barn, saw the "No Parking" sign there and therefore drove past it and parked at the back of the barn. It was her last lesson here, she's moving to NYC (and I'm sure she'll have fun parking there LOL).
I suppose that I did benefit from the fact that the previous trainer/BM was a complete control freak. The new guy is a real softey, and although I enjoy his personality far more than the previous lady, it leaves me in the position of being the enforcer of rules.
I have typed up a request that folks not park around the barn, that they park in the designated areas instead, for safety. With horses and riders moving around the barn, the limited space needs to not be crowded with vehicles. And when boarders are parked in the designated area I know that they are here. In the case of an emergency I would know if their car was parked there for am overly long time that there might be a problem. I could go check on them.
I expect that people will understand once they see that I've taken the time to put up signs and print out the letter.

not again
May. 9, 2011, 02:11 PM
My insurance carrier would be very annoyed if I called to say the barn burned because a car parked too close caught fire. Someone here on Coth had a 4 wheeler catch fire next to the barn set their barn on fire a couple of years ago....

Cruisesmom
May. 9, 2011, 02:40 PM
hahah Katarine "CRAZEE SIGN LADEE"

A sign that says "firelane" "commerical loading zone" or "staff access only" in the area, is a little friendlier than "no parking", but I think parking signs are for idiots who can't think beyond their own desires. That said, there are plenty of those entitled sorts around and unfortunately they don't read signs either!

The reason I no longe rmanage boarding barns is because these sorts of things would make my blood boil and tempt me to move the car with the tractor bucket...

:lol: oh i have always wanted to do this!

Kryswyn
May. 9, 2011, 08:39 PM
I keep coming back to how you expect people to park in your yard. :confused:

Is your 'yard' grass, dirt or paved? If I drove onto a property it would never occur to me to park on the grass so, yes, I would probably follow the drive to the barn and park on the road/paved area.

If your yard is grass and you want people to park there, then cover it with gravel and make it a parking area. If there is inclement weather, I would NEVER park on someone's grass, because I'd be afraid of tearing it up trying to get out.

I'm also a bit unclear on how big a facility you have whereby at any given time there would be so many horses and riders milling about around the parked cars that safety would be an issue. Is there no other area to collect around the barn to hand walk or graze? I mean most horse people have figured out that standing a horse next to a car is to tempt fate, so unless there was no other area to be, they'd be elsewhere.

KayBee
May. 10, 2011, 06:48 PM
I also wanted to suggest that if you have a tractor, you could always threaten that you will move their car out of the way with your tractor if you can't get in with the hay truck. lol.

One of my friend's husband is a firefighter. One of his moments of greatest glee was on the way to call, there was a car parked too close to the corner (in a clearly designated "no parking" zone).

Fire chief told him to take the corner and to hell with the car in the way. Fire truck 1: car 0.

And, no, your insurance will not cover damages if you're not parked in a legal spot.

In the same vein, firefighters who had to access a fire hydrant passed the hose THROUGH the windows of a car parked illegally in front of it (and yes, they broke the windows in order to be able to do this). And... the hose leaked into the car.

Everyone sing a chorus of Schadenfreude!

Um. To keep this horse-related... Fire engines used to be drawn by horses! And a cool horse rescue (http://litopia.com/blog/cool-horse-story), by firefighters.

philosoraptor
May. 10, 2011, 07:09 PM
I have an easy solution: if you don't want cars parking somewhere, just close the area off. For example, at my local college, if they don't want non-delivery vehicles going down certain paved areas, metal posts were installed in a row so cars could not pass. The posts are far enough apart to walk or drive a golf cart between. Several posts are slipped into sleeves in the ground, and using padlocks, they can be removed if there is a need to have a truck pass.

I've also been places that will drive smaller posts and hang rope or chain between them to make a visual barrier (sort of like a fence) -- so it's obvious without having to hang a single sign that cars should not go there. If there is a delivery or emergency, the chain can be easily unhooked.

You could make the desired parking area MORE desirable so they're drawn to it. Make it more nicely paved, better lit, and better laid-out. If people have concerns about the new parking area, ask them why and try to address any issues. Even if they don't really have any issues about it, people like to feel like their opinion matters.

I wouldn't bother with signs. Even a person who does obey signs may miss it (honest mistake) and then it turns into tension when someone has to correct the person for parking, the person feels bad, blah blah blah. I wouldn't bother with a memo that people won't read. And I personally wouldn't bother with trying to spread the word verbally because it never works 100% and then someone is back to playing policeman.

Drive NJ
May. 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
Sign "No cars beyond this point" - flyer to all boarders, lesson people and barn staff explaining where parking is and that cars may only go to barn area with your permission (for drop off/pick up when horses coming and going, farrier, vet FIRETRUCKS or ambulance etc.)

I'd want the road free for me to pass or for emergency equipment and wouldn't want to block the road with more than cones for that reason.

I think you just need clearer communications.

RougeEmpire
May. 11, 2011, 12:34 PM

People LIKE it when you set clear rules and bounderies trust me and so do all the OTHER clients! Like another poster said, make your rules clear and stick to them!

Zarafia
May. 11, 2011, 02:07 PM
People LIKE it when you set clear rules and bounderies trust me and so do all the OTHER clients! Like another poster said, make your rules clear and stick to them!

I think you're right, and that's what I'm doing. So far so good since I've "laid down the law".
And to the previous poster who cannot fathom how I could have people park in my yard, well firstly, this is FL, my entire driveway (and everywhere else) is all grass. Nothing kills it LOL. Secondly, I can't post the pics that would show you, but my "yard" is nearly an acre and is set up for parking along one fence. It keeps the driveway clear. Thirdly, with the way the barn is set up (with fencing quite close to it, and I've already had more than one careless driver hit the fence trying to navigate in an area not set up for cars and trucks) even one jiggy horse could easily blunder into a car if it is parked right up by the barn. It isn't safe IMO (and my opinion has got to be the one that counts in this situation).

RedMare01
May. 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
I totally understand not wanting people not parking right up next to the barn, but really, :confused: on how often cars just spontaneously combust and go up in flames. :confused: Pretty sure I've never seen that happen. And also WTF on leaving the keys in the car. Why? I would never do that either.

Caitlin

Zarafia
May. 14, 2011, 08:44 AM
Saturday morning lessons have begun and I'm happily looking out at a row of neatly parked cars in the safe, designated parking area :).
Looks like a little patience and persistence paid off.

manesntails
May. 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm thinking that perhaps your present parking area is too far from the barn and that's the reason people are "bucking" the rule.

Maybe you could find an area closer to, yet far enough away from the barn to be more convenient for the boarders (carrying equipment etc, might be laborious from the area you presently have for designated parking) and solve the problem that way?

Zarafia
May. 14, 2011, 09:10 AM
It is a bit of a trek (takes over a minute to walk). But boarders are allowed to keep their tack and equipment in the climate controlled tackroom and I would allow non-boarding students to do the same if they wished.
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have designed things differently, but oh, well.
BTW, we never had a parking issue in the five years that the former BM was here.

katarine
May. 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
True story.

I rode horses for a couple who also had cows. One day they brought all the cows into the sorting pens by the barn. They and their cow help for the day, all parked by the pens, by the barn, etc....I parked out by the road, near the end of the driveway, so my car is a good 150' from the pens. Proceed to sort, tag, etc...Sheila the Cow from Hell eyed the 6' fence. Boing, there goes Sheila. She took out the top board, and over the spill way they went in quick succession. Confused, hunting a gate, out of sorts (literally)...there they go. When the dust settled, I was the only one lacking an insurance claim :) . John just looked at me after surveying his bashed in, won't open, driver's side door on his Suburban and said "Not a word. NOT ONE WORD!" Long pause, then he busted a gut laughing.

Gotta watch those Sheilas :)

rustbreeches
May. 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
What about plastic sawhorses spaced so you can't fit a car through. Then, when you are bringing in a truck, you can pull one to the side and pass through?

Big believer in no parking signs because accidents happen. Stabled at CNL one year and after training hours I pulled my car up to the road by my tack room to unload some stuff and a horse hand walking came flying out of the shedrow in reverse, groom steady shanking and the horse I swear, had radar in his ass set to find BMW. A couple of twisty movements and he ended up sitting on my passenger side doors.

The owner/trainers gave false insurance info and because it was a short meet, the gyps moved on and I (well, my dad) got stuck with the repair bills.

alabama
May. 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
I totally understand not wanting people not parking right up next to the barn, but really, :confused: on how often cars just spontaneously combust and go up in flames. :confused: Pretty sure I've never seen that happen. And also WTF on leaving the keys in the car. Why? I would never do that either.

Caitlin
Sadly, I've seen it. Happened once to a car parked at work. It burned that car and the cars parked next to it. I have also seen two different cars on fire on the interstate.

I also have a co-worker whose wife's car caught fire in their garage hours after it was parked. Something about faulty wiring. Almost burned their house down. It was just lucky they were up later than they usually were; otherwise, they'd have been asleep. That was just last year. They were displaced for three weeks while the house was cleaned and repaired.

It does happen. :eek:

katarine
May. 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yep, a friend's house burned to the ground when her daughter's Honda caught on fire, something related to its battery. Car in the basement, they are asleep on the 2nd floor...by the time the fire alarms went on, the house was fully involved.

JanM
May. 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
Recently there have been several recalls of vehicles (several models and brands) that burst into flames a long time after they were parked, so it's not a small concern. And if you have someone with a vehicle with leaks in the engine or fuel system it can dramatically increase the risk. Besides, if you can't walk to the barn the distance the OP is talking then you probably won't be riding anyway. It reminds me of a friend of mine who wanted to join the mall walkers group near her house, and when we went to the mall to do this she insisted I park as close to the mall doors as possible.

back in the saddle
May. 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
Can you hang a :"no parking/cars towed at owners expense" on your barn?

Zarafia
May. 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
Can you hang a :"no parking/cars towed at owners expense" on your barn?

I have a "No Parking" sign posted there now and since the new signs, hand outs and talks I'm not having a problem :)
(In fact a brand new potential boarder came over this afternoon and naturally parked in the designated parking zone. It really is obvious if you have never been told "why not just drive right up to the barn") LOL.

RainyDayRide
May. 14, 2011, 10:28 PM
A co-worker stopped at a market on the way home, turned off his Taurus and got out ... car started flaming before he hit the market door. Total loss ... yes, cars catch on fire unexpectedly.

Glad your borders are parking away from the barn.

back in the saddle
May. 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
If they keep doing it, give the renter his notice. One more violaton past this date and he has essentially given you a 30 day notice. THAT should get their attention. lol I'd rather have empty standing barn vs. one that's empty and burned to the ground. Make him know you are serious. People who don't follow directions will be asked to leave.

CatOnLap
May. 15, 2011, 12:40 PM
haha car bursting into spontaneous flames story- I got one! I drove my old Benz convertible a long way across the prairies to my old home town one year and noticed in the last hour that the fuel guage needle was falling more rapidly than usual, so I just pulled off the highway into my favourite old mechanic's garage when I got to town. I parked in the lot, went in and said Hello to my favourite old mechanic who I hadn't seen in several years, and while we were standing beside it discussing what the problem could be, the car burst into flames! Fortunately, garages (like all barns should have!) always have several fire extinguishers handy and the flames were put out in seconds.
Apparently the fuel line had sprung a slow leak somewhere during my trip, and when the car was parked, a little fuel leaked out where it was near the hot exhaust pipe and started up. Good thing the whole car didn't blow! Mechanic said while driving the extra fuel probably evaporated as we travelled, but once it was parked, it just took a couple of minutes to leak out enough to reach the exhaust.