PDA

View Full Version : Toklat Woolbak thickness

BigHorseLittleHorse
May. 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'm getting ready to order a Toklat Woolbak pad, and I'm trying to decide between the English and Western thicknesses. The English is listed as 1/2" double (I assume a total of 1"?), and the Western as 1" double (2" total?). I ride in a Thorowgood endurance saddle, which is basically shaped like an English AP saddle.

I'm more inclined to go with the English thickness, because my saddle fits my horse well, and I'm concerned that putting a thick pad underneath will make it sit up too high on his back. But will it provide enough cushioning for distance riding? (50s and LDs)

Those of you with this pad, which thickness do you have?

Halcyon Days
May. 5, 2011, 10:07 AM
I think they mean double sided, as in you can flip them over and get more use before needing to wash them

I have the western thickness, they're super great pads, you can also order them with the skito inserts, and then remove them if they're too much, but I like using the inserts on 50's

For an english type saddle, yes, I would go with the more streamlined fit and get the english woolback

Definitely make sure it's the woolback and not the coolback (blend) I've had horses get reactions to the blends

BigHorseLittleHorse
May. 5, 2011, 12:48 PM
I was looking on Long Riders Gear, and their options are (among others):

1/2" English Wool, Std Double Thickness
1" Western Wool, Std Double Thickness

I'm reading that as two layers? or maybe not. I'll give them a call and see if they know...

chicamux
May. 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, they are made with two layers of woolback fabric unless you order a different type of pad. I love the woolback fabric, it's the best pad material IMO. I use the western fleece for my treeless saddle pads and have bought a couple of the english fleece for treed saddles. They wash well in coldwater and Woolite but be aware that over time they will shrink a little.

Bonnie

BigHorseLittleHorse
May. 6, 2011, 12:55 PM
yes, i decided to order the english fleece. Looking forward to getting it!

Thanks for everyone's input...