PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newbie figure out trailers

LeniH
May. 5, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'm living my dream and finally trailer shopping. I spent hours on construction and safety features and found a used Hawk that seemed perfect on being well built until I looked at it. The WB straightload is only 72 inches wide, that leaves less than 3 feet for each slot. My horse is a Clyde/TB X, that seems like a tight fit. Would appreciate any advice. Also saw an ad in my area today for a Trails West WB straight load but don't know much about the brand.

GoForAGallop
May. 5, 2011, 12:16 AM
I really don't think you can find a trailer out there that's wider than 6'8''...that's Equispirits XXL option and they make custom trailers.

He'll fit, promise. ;)

GoForAGallop
May. 5, 2011, 12:20 AM
Correction....you can find horse trailers up to about 8' wide, but the wheel wells will be on the inside of the trailer instead of on the outside. 7' is about the max width with the wheel wells still remaining on the outside. So either way you have the same amount of useable floor space.

mroades
May. 5, 2011, 08:19 AM
i have the hawk xxl....its huge inside..i wouldn't worry

ChocoMare
May. 5, 2011, 09:15 AM
I have the EquiBreeze XL and, yes, it's plenty wide enough.

Puddin Pie
May. 5, 2011, 09:56 AM
The Hawk is going to be a good trailer that will hold up well. If you are only hauling the one horse, you could probably slide the partition over, but you would have to figure out the butt bar configuration.

Once you get whichever trailer you buy, a good coat of wax on it every year will really help it last-that is what my trailer guys say (and they are Hawk dealers, now that trail et closed).

kari
May. 5, 2011, 10:11 AM
I had the Hawk WB, and frequently hauled my two Perchies around in it. The baby Perchie was 17.2 and a tank. He was a little tight in it, (which was okay, I didn't want him fooling around in there). Momma Perch was 16.2 and fit in it just fine.
I loved my Hawk, and regret selling it to this day. You won't be disappointed with a Hawk. (JMHO)

LeniH
May. 5, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks all. I really liked the Hawk trailers I saw so am taking a second look.

Flap15
May. 5, 2011, 11:32 PM
I just bought an Adams that is 72" wide as well. I was quite worried about the width as I have a growing warmblood but as soon as I put her in I could see that it was more than enough room. I think the additional height and airiness in the newer trailers helps make them inviting even in the narrower models.

rugbygirl
May. 5, 2011, 11:46 PM
I had a Featherlite straight load extra wide, extra tall. Loads of room for the Clydesdale mare (even at 8 months pregnant) and plenty spacious enough for any warmblood I ever had in there...and a particularly rotund 16hh Section D cob.

I decided to get a gooseneck straight load after I had an accident with the featherlite (horse was 100% fine after it rolled, he nicked a pastern with one of his own shoes...but I credit the construction of the trailer with the fact that he was mostly unscathed.)

Anyway, as usual, the consignment places laughed when I said I was looking for a straight load secondhand. Apparently that's a rare find. In a stroke of luck, I passed a straight load gooseneck parked on the highway for sale! I put a deposit on it 10 minutes later! It's a 4-star, and there are a million little things on it that I like over the Featherlites. Smaller windows, divider that comes apart into much smaller pieces, just a bunch of stuff.

asterix
May. 6, 2011, 12:49 AM
I have an equispirit XL or XXL (honestly, can't remember -- but the XXL is 6'8" so either way it's comparable). I have hauled:
My 17.3 hand ID/TB cross AND
my 17.2 hand WB

and
my 17.2 h WB
AND
my 17 hand wide body draft cross.

No problem, plenty of room.

KrazyTBMare
May. 6, 2011, 12:53 AM
Ditto the the Hawk XXL trailer. My gf has one and she has a tank of a mare, who is only 16.0-16.1 but well over 1250lbs she has PLUNTY of room. I will be getting one when I trade in my 3H slant.